My 2000 S3 has a 5 speed gearbox and gearstick,is that normal?

coyle

From Show... to GO
Reaction score
Had my S3 for a couple of weeks, and just doing some research in to them, and found they usually come with 6speed..

but mine is a 5speed, had a look under, and it looks standard, transfer box and rear diff are fine, and 4wd works too.

so is it normal? did the S3 come with a 5speed box?

Jon

Put simply... no....

Are you sure its not just a gear knob from a 5 speed box?... reverse is push down top left (next to 1st), 6th is bottom right (below 5th)

<tuffty/>

I didn't think they made a 5 speed box with the transfer box for 4wd haldex?

Perhaps 6th gear broke somehow, and they just stuck a 5 speed gear knob on to sell it easier!

yep im sure, no 6th, ive tried feeling for it..

looks like its been messed around with then.. but everything is fine with it, feels nice and tight...

Later 5 speeders are 6 speeders with the 6th gear missed out... matt20vt had a 5 speed box in his TQS.. rare but was available

<tuffty/>

so its the same box but with the 6th gear missed out?
and that is something which could have left audi this way?

also what does TQS stand for? :p

The 180 BHP 1.8T Quattro has a 5 speed box. Does it have all the features of an S3? Flared arches is the difficult one to fake...

I remember seeing a yellow S3 for sale about 18 months ago which had a 5 speed box fitted so I guess it can be done.

so its the same box but with the 6th gear missed out?
and that is something which could have left audi this way?

also what does TQS stand for? :p

I very much doubt it, all S3's were 6 speed as far as I know... certainly not an option I am aware off...

TQS = Turbo Quattro Sport

<tuffty/>

yeh it's an s3 mate, shows S3 on logbook and S3 when plugged in to vagcom.

just unusual i thought so wanted to know if anyone had any more info

The gearbox is not original then, you must have the gearbox out of a 180bhp car...

I must have the earliest S3 known to man on the forum, and it's a 6 speed gearbox. I also have the original sales brochure and price list, no 5 speed optional extra.

02C is the 5 speed 4WD box and 02M is the 6 speed 4WD box

There were few optional extras on the S3 -CD Changer, Heated Seats. Cruise Control. Sunroof. Bose stereo, plus various stereo options. Sat Nav. Third rear headrest + 3 point seatbelt. Metallic Paint.

for what its worth my 2002 TDi Quattro Sport had a six speed box. The S3 not having a six speeder does sound dubious..

so the box is likely of the 1.8T A3 quattro?

if im having no problems with it should i have anything to worry about?

sounds like the one of the previous owners got a 5 speed box cheap and decided to fit that. suppose it will be fine but not as economic as 6 speed on the motorway, would be good to know how well it goes with a five speed box in. what speeds do you get in each gear?

gears might be longer. you might have an s3 that hits 60 in second rather than havin to change for 3rd. winner

yeh i can get 60 in second mate,
im not sure about what speeds i can get in each gear, il make note and let everyone know whaen i get it back from the bodyshop on thursday :)

ha awesome. i can if i properly red line it, but i never do that. always have to change at like just over 55, maybe a little more.
let us know what it does if you can. might be better for it.

I remember a guy who put a 5 speedbox in for the second gear issue, so may be a good mod....

while that does actually fill me with joy, i imagine whoever fitted it did so for cost, and not to get a better 2nd gear :p
im just glad it's not something to overly worry about
Jon

just get a good inspection and if everything is fine, i wont worry.
5 gears is not that bad, i even think it might be really cool and the car would feel a bit more active

first and second gear on the s3 box are crap, like already stated, someone changed theirs for a 5 speed, you'll probably prefer it to the 6 speed as you'll get more mph out of first and second gear!

someone metioned fuel economy, now, chances are the fifth gear in yours has the same ration as the sixth gear in a standard s3, therfor fuel economey would NOT be effected, but that;s only if the ratios are the same!! in 5th gear at 2000 rpm what speed are you getting...

gears might be longer. you might have an s3 that hits 60 in second rather than havin to change for 3rd. winner

Just my thoughts... jealous. I loved my A3's 5 speed box. I have always thought the 6 speed box in the S3 was a bad judgement call.

Just my thoughts... jealous. I loved my A3's 5 speed box. I have always thought the 6 speed box in the S3 was a bad judgement call.

:iagree: Im pretty used to it now but when i first jumped in the S3 after the A3 it really used to annoy me because i seemed to be changing gear loads more often than in the A3.

Drive / transmissionDrive layout
Permanent all-wheel drive via Haldex coupling, EDL at front​
Clutch
Hydr. operated single-plate dry clutch with asbestos-free lining​
Gearbox type
6-speed manual gearbox​
Gear ratio in 1st gear / 2nd gear
3.417 / 2.105​
Gear ratio in 3rd gear / 4th gear
1.429 / 1.088​
Gear ratio in 5th gear / 6th gear
1.097 II / 0.912 II​
Gear ratio in reverse gear
4.630 II​
Final drive ratio / Final drive ratio II 2)
4.200 / 3.316​

Found this for the S3 showing the final drive.

The 5 speed DXW 02m gearbox from the Audi A3 quattro has a final drive of 3.32 so the final drive IE 6th in the S3 and 5th in the A3 are pretty much the same.

wasnt the 6 speed gearbox fitted to help reduce turbo lag? or is that nonsense?

Perhaps the initial pick up of the 6 speeder is quicker?
The 0 - 57 or so of a 6 speed S3 (or what ever you get to in 2nd) must be pretty rapid, with the 0-62 being 6.4 with a change to third in between!

yeh when you think about it, having to change to third and still doin sub 6.5, thats quick! for a 1.8. i love my little engine :)
i dont fully understand gear ratios and how they work and what they mean though. i wouldnt be overly fussed havin a 5 speeder, but cruising in 6th nice and quietly is nice. i dont think the 6 speeder is bad, but if only they lengthened 2nd! just 5 mph for christ sake!!! it'd be superb.
i wonder if there is anyway a new second gear could go in, would that work? that mod would be huge!!!

I thought it was fitted to improve accelleration due to the weight of the quattro system, and maybe the 6 speeder can handle more torque?

in other cars its usually the 5 speed that handles more power...like in evo 8 and evo 9 the 5 speed box can handle more torque and power than the 6 speed one (though the 6 speed is newer), same thing with mercedes.
freinds of mine had to go back to a 5 speed tranny in his modded evo 9 after his 6 speed tranny broked twice. Note that the car is highly modded (550 bhp on dyno)

this might not be the case with audi....