£45 to 155 miles ..

motfree

Reaction score
Had my s3 for about 2 weeks now and I think I've done about 300 miles and it's cost me not far off £100
Over yesterday and today I put £45 of fuel in and the light came on after 155 miles - mostly driving about 50 with the odd little blip .. Is this normal or is there something wrong ??
Also just filled up £62 and it's only showing as 3/4 tank my heads baffled it just doesn't seem right
Cheers

More info...

Is it mapped?

On average £20 the motorway should get you 150 if "sensible"

Somethings's wrong, I get nearly 200 miles off £30's worth of VPower at around £1.25/litre.

Straight through system including decat
Remap
That's all I know off .. Mpg calculator was averaging 35 mpg that's what I don't get .. But fuel gauge was playing up the other day going from full tank to 0 then upto half and so on so was told the receiver was goosed but clearly it's actually using that much as £63 must fill the tank ??
No smell of fuel so definatly not a fuel leak

So mine isn't too far off then I guess .. That with you taking it easy ?

yea steady away,give it beans every now and again,the cold weather has not helped and ive seen the mpg fall,but my s3 has revo stage 2 and all the usual,plus ive got no fault codes,new air mass,n75,plugs etc.....my mate does about similar mpg,but mine on the run can see far better as you would expect.

Check if you have 4 bar fuel presure regulator, this shows better mpg on the dash but in fact I would say it's up by 8-10mpg. so if you get 36mpg it's more like 26. Decat does not help at all.

this directed at me? im running the stock 3.5 bar regulator as revo specified?

Well I would say to anyone who has a 4 bar. the standard one is 3 bars. but that's my little finding with the FPRs I have used.

Yeah this cold weather does make a noticeable difference in mpg, mines dropped to 48mpg! Only just getting 600 miles / tank now, ****** winter. On the plus side you s3 boys must be noticing a nice increase in power with the plentiful cold dense air?

really? what sort of driving do you do? motorway etc..?

I will average around the doors 80-90 miles to 20 quid!!

James, Thats a daily drive to work of 40 miles each way on the motorway at about 80, mixed in with few local journeys of around 5 miles or so, if out of the way fo the boys in blue and giving it beans it drops but not by much, a banzai trip halfway across Devon and on up to Guildford last August early on a Sunday morning returned 27 mpg and gave 305 miles out of a tankful. I've never ever had less than that from a tankful. Hope you get it sorted.

Nige

I've filled the tank up to the brim couldn't get anymore in and it's only showing 3/4 tank ?? Maybe it is the sender ?? How much does it cost everyone else to fill an s3 from reserve ?

Oh I don't know haha have to clean out the sender and go from there .. Fuel pressure regulator under the bonnet ?
So If a full tank is £70 that means I've definatly used £45 on 150 miles thought the tank might have been bigger Eg £80 so would have been the sender not working properly :-(

What size wheel have you got on ??? I know I get approx 30 miles less to a tank of fuel with 235/19. I get 300 to 330 on a full tank to empty.

i have a A3 170tdi s-line Black edition remapped by giac to 195bhp, its a company car i do between 490 and 510 miles per tank, my 03 reg S3 does between 310 and 330 miles on a full tank.

What could be up with mine then as my range on the dash is 160 miles and that's full ?? And ive filled it till I can't get no more in and its only showing 3/4 tank :-S !!

sounds like the sender, its under the back seat behind the driver, run the tank down then pull the pump to a angle to remove the circuit board like sender. I cleaned mine up a few weeks ago and its reading fine now.

Typically i've been getting 280 miles to a full tank of V-Power (£72+). DIS showed roughly 25mpg.
Last full tank got me 250 miles :( - DIS showing 22mpg.

I do a lot of short journeys, leave it to warm-up and cool-down, commuting in stop/start traffic and it's hilly around here to be fair.
Still getting it checked/possible replacement thermostat on Monday.

But If it was the sender it wouldn't use the fuel ... Did 20 ish miles today and the car took £10 to fill !!

I get 25 miles to a fiver and around 45 miles to a tenner (don't even criticise the maths as I know it doesn't add up lol) round town or on short journeys with my Revo (variable - it'll do what it wants) map in the Red car and about 340 miles to a full tank on the motorway.

The black car does about 15 miles to a fiver if I'm lucky!