air filter, exhaust, intercooler, re-map & DV

D

djjnrj

i've already read somebodys post about what intake mods should be made to work with an S3 re-map.

i will be fitting - induction & air filter kit (K&N or Neuspeed) or cold air intake & filter (Carbonio), cat back exhaust system (milltek i think, maybe a custom build instead), larger intercooler (front mounted & custom made) and an aftermarket DV (GFB Hybrid).

so here's my question:

what are peoples opinions on fitting all the performance parts before a re-map. will it make any differnces to the final performance figures? or will it not make a difference?

Put them all on before the Re-map. The who-ever does it can tune the engine to make better use of all there extras. If you put them on after the re-map, the engine is tuned to run as if all the parts are standard.

Does this make sense ?

If I'm wrong any one feel free to correct me ;-)

Cheers

[ QUOTE ]
Auroan said:
Put them all on before the Re-map. The who-ever does it can tune the engine to make better use of all there extras. If you put them on after the re-map, the engine is tuned to run as if all the parts are standard.

Does this make sense ?

If I'm wrong any one feel free to correct me ;-)

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

i would of thought that you are right. i was thinking the same thing you see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

[ QUOTE ]
PaulS3 said:
i would have suggested looking at brakes before nearly all of that.

id also drop the induction kit too. your better off with the standard airbox.

[/ QUOTE ]

so. keeping the standard air box it is then. what brake upgrade do you suggest and how much are we talking?

[ QUOTE ]
audi_s3_225bhp said:
[ QUOTE ]
PaulS3 said:
i would have suggested looking at brakes before nearly all of that.

id also drop the induction kit too. your better off with the standard airbox.

[/ QUOTE ]

so. keeping the standard air box it is then. what brake upgrade do you suggest and how much are we talking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Go for the Brembo kit. I think its about £750 and ideal for the S3. Speak with RichA3Turbo and he'l sort you out.

Rich.

i went for the Porsche Myself and have never looked back.

as for the airbox, its good enough for the big turbo MTM conversions its good enough for me.

AmD also recommend retaining the standard airbox.

a normal S3 gets hot enought under the bonnet, Chip it and the temps soar even higher.

I wouldn't bother with the Miltek cat back exhaust either TBH. It makes very little power even on a chipped car, makes very little more noise and is unlikely to fit straight...

Your Miltek and I/C money is better spent on brakes and a rechip. You'll have 95% of the power and 150% of the brakes.

Next look at the handling mods and you'll have a much improved car

PaulS3, where did you get your brakes and at what cost?

£1800 ish

all in fitted with spacers front and rear, and new bolts and lockers filled with dot 5.1 fluid, and running Porsche pad sensors too

Porsche "big reds" aka 993 bi Turbo 4 pots.

Spec:
For 16/17" rims with minimum 365mm ID
Porsche 993 bi-turbo 4 piston aluminium callipers, 36/44mm piston diameter
Porsche 993 bi-turbo discs, 322 x 32mm vented with cast-in holes
Porsche 993 bi-turbo genuine pad set for street use (75.5cm2)
Kit includes custom adapters for a.m. callipers, CNC machined from highest grade steel alloy and custom brake bells for a.m. discs, CNC machined from highest grade aluminium alloy

Supplied and fitted by AmD.

They are brilliant.

in 21K +miles or so they have used one set of pads, which were £66+ vat to replace and DIY fit.

I wanted to do it once and do it right, and they certainly havent failed me.

Also agree with David,

i wouldnt bother with the Exhaust or cats either. Waste of money. S3 system is not restrictive, and is 2.5 inch anyway.

Your only paying for a poorly fitting lopsided bling shiney exhaust.

Wow paul! Sounds like your serious when it comes to brakes! I wish I had this sort of money to spend on break but I don't. What would be the best soloution for the £400 to £750 range. Installation isn't a problem as i have people who will do this for little money.

[ QUOTE ]
PaulS3 said:
Your only paying for a poorly fitting lopsided bling shiney exhaust.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats a bit harsh.... and untrue from my experience

i have a jetex cat-back system fitted by Jabba which fitted well (no knocks or problems whatsoever) and also gives a nice burble (but not too loud)

certainly neither lop-sided too!

if you plan on keeping the car a stainless system is a good investment

lots of opinions to choose from...

i would suggest sort he suspension/handling first before doing anything - you may be surprised how much fun 210/225hp can be!

then a staight chipping will give you more bang for your buck than anything else - nothing else will come close apart from a big turbo conversion but that costs thousands!

finally better brakes can make a difference, particularly on twisty roads with repeaded accel/brake or track use - there are loads of options, but i wouldnt waste my money on standard size grooved/drilled disks or uprated pads - the brembo kit offers excellent value for money for about 750-800 for chipped cars or even standard cars, and the various big brake conversions are suitable for more agressive use eg big turbo conversions or track day use where you dont want any brake fade at all.

all this stuff about exhausts, air filters etc is mostly adding little or nothing but costing a lot compared to the other stuff in terms of real gains

Granted Dean,

just some are More /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif lopsided and poorly fitting than others.

Why thay cannot get it to fit in the existing cavity without it hanging below the bumper line escapes me.

[ QUOTE ]
PaulS3 said:
Granted Dean,

just some are More /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif lopsided and poorly fitting than others.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, true, very true mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
I wouldn't bother with the Miltek cat back exhaust either TBH. It makes very little power even on a chipped car, makes very little more noise and is unlikely to fit straight...

Hi, have to say I've read a lot on here about the milltek cat back and most say the same: small increase in power and no increase in sound. However, my experience is quite the opposite. I haven't measured it but it definitely feels significant ( 10hp maybe) and as for sound, its odd but it's quiet when cold but after you've had a blast louder and quite boomy. I do have a d/pipe and single cat too though, which may contribute. As for fit, it's been said on here many times, its not the best. Quite tight by the centre box.

Chris.

Andy, it has other modifications which yield the extra power. The FMIC allows the fuelling and ignition to be further optimised. It is possible that in such a high state of tune, the cats / exhaust give a little bit extra, but on an OEM car, or straightforward remap, the gains are not as impressive as the manufacturer would claim.

David R
[ QUOTE ]
Andy, it has other modifications which yield the extra power. The FMIC allows the fuelling and ignition to be further optimised. It is possible that in such a high state of tune, the cats / exhaust give a little bit extra, but on an OEM car, or straightforward remap, the gains are not as impressive as the manufacturer would claim.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see, what are the other modifications enabling u to get the extra power?

[ QUOTE ]
Dean_T said:

thats a bit harsh.... and untrue from my experience

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

[ QUOTE ]

i have a jetex cat-back system fitted by Jabba which fitted well (no knocks or problems whatsoever) and also gives a nice burble (but not too loud)

certainly neither lop-sided too!

if you plan on keeping the car a stainless system is a good investment

[/ QUOTE ]

Do try and keep up, dear boy...
We were speaking about the ill fitting Milltek effort. All of the above is very true, and therefore very valid. The do fit badly. The are barely louder than stanard, and they don't make any more power.

These are facts.

Its the colder denser air up north that gives the extra power in Davids S3 Andy, we lowlanders just have to make do with what we have got /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif