JMB RetrofitsBadger5
    1st Gear

Status

amk 210 v bam 225 what do you think are the differences ????

Hi all rather curious about this one , done loads of searches but cant find a definitive answer

would just like to know what are the mechanical differences between the 210amk and the later 225bam engines, most threads seem to indicate its purely a different map and thats all can anyone in the know confirm this theory ??

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    it must be a little difference in the map, since when you get a remap, AMK and BAM have the same figures.

If im not wrong, when audi first launched the TT 225Q, they wanted to be distinguished (is that a word? lol), so they made it have a little more power than the S3 of the time (1999-2000-2001) and thats all. So they gave the TT another map and 15 extra bhp. After the TT had made its place in the car market, S3 and TT had the same engine and same map (2002-2003).
    Audi S3 AMK
    Relentless-Manifold, Relentless-3" downpipe decat, Forge 007 DV, autobahn88 TIP, K&N Panel filter, EBC yellowstuff brake pads, R32 ARB, Custom column dual gauge pod...waiting for a remap!

For help/info/pricing on xs manifold and downpipe pm me (not affiliated, nor a reseller trader, just an enthusiast!)

5th Gear

Status
    Yes that's my understanding too; Audi wanted the TT to have the more powerful engine which is why the S3 initially kept the 210bhp unit. I'm also not clear what the differences between the various iterations of the 210 vs 225 1.8T though. Can anyone clarify this? I think I read somewhere that the BAM has variable valve timing too?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Mechanically AMK and BAM are the same... VVT, no SAI, wideband lambda, EGT probe.... biggest change was APY to AMK... chances are Audi would have retained the AMK code if it hadn't decided to up the power to 225

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

1st Gear

Status
    What are the big changes from APY to AMK?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pj123 View Post
    What are the big changes from APY to AMK?
    VVT, no SAI, wideband lambda, EGT probe

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

5th Gear

Status
    Thanks for the clarity Tufty. I thought VVT was in there somewhere.

6th Gear

Status
    BAM is better, everyone knows that, fact

Lol
    revo'd

6th Gear

Status
    Also i think - BAM = 19mm wrist pins , AMK = 20mm wrist pins, Tuffty will clarify this
    3.2 V6 with Custom Code VVT Attack Software

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sandip View Post
    Also i think - BAM = 19mm wrist pins , AMK = 20mm wrist pins, Tuffty will clarify this
    I will, they are both the same... 20mm... as is the APY

<tuffty/>

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by leggy View Post
    BAM is better, everyone knows that, fact

Lol
    oh yeah

<tuffty/>

1st Gear

Status
    so the only difference is the stamp for the engine code then ?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Duktor View Post
    so the only difference is the stamp for the engine code then ?
    Ok, yes and no.... mechanically and spec wise then yes they are the same... there are of course subtle differences which make no difference to the performance but are a result of Audi using up the parts bin for the change over to facelift S3's...

One example of this is the bevel box bracket... an AMK S3 (Dane's) that is in for rods has a cast alloy bracket supporting the bevel box to the engine block whereas mine (also an AMK) has a pressed steel one... there will also be revisions to parts that change slightly over the years such as later version coil packs and stuff... depends where you want to go with it all...

At the end of the day, AMK and BAM map up the same... there is no compelling reason to choose BAM over AMK and vice versa other than BAM are in newer S3's... if you can afford to buy a newer S3 you will get a BAM, go for a changeover facelift and you get an AMK...

Same internals, same head... the earlier AMK's had the drillings for the SAI blocked with steel ball bearings as heads were being used up but are still the same small port head the BAM have (and the APY for that matter).

The differences are minimal and largely academic

<tuffty/>

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tufftybloke View Post
    Ok, yes and no.... mechanically and spec wise then yes they are the same... there are of course subtle differences which make no difference to the performance but are a result of Audi using up the parts bin for the change over to facelift S3's...

One example of this is the bevel box bracket... an AMK S3 (Dane's) that is in for rods has a cast alloy bracket supporting the bevel box to the engine block whereas mine (also an AMK) has a pressed steel one... there will also be revisions to parts that change slightly over the years such as later version coil packs and stuff... depends where you want to go with it all...

At the end of the day, AMK and BAM map up the same... there is no compelling reason to choose BAM over AMK and vice versa other than BAM are in newer S3's... if you can afford to buy a newer S3 you will get a BAM, go for a changeover facelift and you get an AMK...

Same internals, same head... the earlier AMK's had the drillings for the SAI blocked with steel ball bearings as heads were being used up but are still the same small port head the BAM have (and the APY for that matter).

The differences are minimal and largely academic

<tuffty/>
    thanks for the info Tuffty but what do you mean by small port head ?? is there a different head that does the same job ??

Neutral

Status
    Sorry to piggy back onto this thread but...

Does anyone know if an APY will map to the same power as an AMK/BAM?

Thanks in advance

Alex

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    thanks for the info Tuffty but what do you mean by small port head ?? is there a different head that does the same job ??
    VAG 20v heads come in small port and large port flavours... check my build thread for some info on the differences... I now run a large port head as its better suited for higher power from larger turbo's

Quote Originally Posted by supreme View Post
    Sorry to piggy back onto this thread but...

Thanks in advance

Alex
    210ps std same as the AMK... BAM is 225ps (note ps not bhp) (edit... and yes as Welly says below they will map to similar power)

<tuffty/>
    Last edited by <tuffty/>; 15th November 2010 at 13:44. Reason: Not reading the question properly the first time DOH!

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by supreme View Post
    Yes it will mate. Or as close as makes no difference.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tufftybloke View Post
    VAG 20v heads come in small port and large port flavours... check my build thread for some info on the differences... I now run a large port head as its better suited for higher power from larger turbo's

210ps std same as the AMK... BAM is 225ps (note ps not bhp) (edit... and yes as Welly says below they will map to similar power)

<tuffty/>
    that thread is huge m8 give me a clue what page to start on lol

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    that thread is huge m8 give me a clue what page to start on lol
    Around or about page 12, and then a skip to page 14 should sort you with head info.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

1st Gear

Status
    cheers welly will have a swatch