Is this a reasonable price quote for suspension/bushes?

rraghvani

Whoever does not try, does not learn.
Reaction score
Website
audi-sport.net
Went to www.tcgarage.com to get a price quote on getting a few things replaced, especially suspension + bushes. Do you think this is a reasonble quote which includes spare parts + labour?

Following your visit to us here are the breakdown prices of the required work for your S3.

Rear shock absorbers - £195 + vat
Rear anti roll bar and bushes - £160 + vat
Rear suspension coil springs - £195 + vat
Rear adjustable tie rods - £370 + vat
N/S/F wheel bearing - £190 + vat
Front wishbone bushes - £180 + vat
Front suspension top mounts - £180 + vat
N/S/F steering tie rod - £175 + vat
O/S/F steering rack boot - £ 55 + vat
Front brake pads and discs - £260 + vat

All of these prices are based on the use of genuine parts and are subject to change according to Audi Parts prices (except rear adjustable tie rods, these are from KW Automotive).

If you are interested in after market suspension upgrades, we are an outlet for KW Automotive suspension. Please let me know either by email or phone 01342 718556 and I can confirm prices with you. Please be aware that we also are very competetive with cost of tyres as well.

Note, some of the quotes also included additionals parts, which were not necessary to be replaced.

well i cant really see your post as its black on a black background

edit: dont worry, i have changed my web page style now

I defiantly need this done:
Is it possible to get the bushes replaced for the Rear Shock Absorbers, as they seem to be slipping from their mounts - I was told that the unit comes a whole, and the bushes can not be replaced?

Over £2000 on bushes and suspension.

I think sometimes you have to draw a line and say enough is enough, and thats well over the line tbh !

Thats a crazy price...

Bhav, wheres that pineapple!!

Have a read through some of the suspension threads on here mate, will give you an idea of what to go for and what sort of prices as well...

Have a word with Damian from DPM Perfomance, he is a site sponsor and im sure he will be able to sort something for you, alternatively, send a PM to PJMSPEEDY, he can get all genuine parts at better prices for you.

I’m only planning on getting the essential done, i.e.

The individual parts + labour, are they reasonable prices though?

Cmon Bhav, after assuming position, we need to shove something up there dont we???

Dude, those prices seem quite high to me, are they all genuine parts or aftermarket??

Have a look on Euro Car Parts, or German Swedish and see what the prices in comparison to these are like....

rraghvanni, I would shop around mate, also, I would expect some sort of discount when having so much done in the same area, that you are just changing things whilst it's off, and not priced individually!

Also, for the amount you are looking at, uprating is the way to go, unless going back to standard is what you want?

Front brake pads and discs - £260 + vat !!!!!!!! For OEM !!!!

All the prices look high to be honest. If the cost you put up includes labour it looks like they have priced everything as if they were doing each item individually rather than taking into account that certain things take 5 mins if the car is already dismantled.

If you are replacing that much then you may also want to look at uprated items, some will be cheaper anyway.

EDIT : Jojo beat me to it.

I don’t know much about shocks + bushes pricing, so I’m just trying to get a rough idea as most people on this forum have had there’s changed. Due to wear and tear, and living in an area where pot holes are everywhere my car is creaking quite badly. I'll have a look at eurocarparts, dpm performance and german swedish see what they got.

i am due to get a quote for fitting shocks, springs, arbs and bushes shortly, i shall let you know when i get my quote. I have sourced the main parts my self as they are all uprated

Put it this way buddy, I'm doing the same as you at the moment and I can tell you the shocks and springs are way off. I've just had OEM replaced on the rear. Bought the shocks and springs from Audi and had them fitted at Awesome GTI and worked out cheaper than you've been quoted.

The front wishbone bushes look about right. But the top mounts are also waaayyyyy off. Parts are about £40, so God knows how much they're charging for labour!!

It would be good to let me know Cookstein, cheers. I'll shop around, and also get price quotes for spare parts from Audi.

Is it possible to get lower outer bushes for the rear shock absorber, where it sits on the sleeve near the wheel hub? I can't find anything on powerflex.co.uk or does the whole rear shock needs to be replaced?

I'm also looking into time and effort, plus a write up of replacing suspensions, if I were to do the job myself.

i dont know, i have bought some bilstein dampers and they do come with the bushes already fitted

It would be good to let me know Cookstein, cheers. I'll shop around, and also get price quotes for spare parts from Audi.

Is it possible to get lower outer bushes for the rear shock absorber, where it sits on the sleeve near the wheel hub? I can't find anything on powerflex.co.uk or does the whole rear shock needs to be replaced?

I'm also looking into time and effort, plus a write up of replacing suspensions, if I were to do the job myself.

Not 100% what you mean by this, but my new OEM shocks came with a bush fitted that attached them to the car...

Oh and spares as follows from Audi;

Standard Parts – Audi

Springs R – 60.18 each
Shocks R – 56.61 each
Springs F – 66.91 each
Shocks F – 75.45 each

Total – 518.30
Total incl Vat – 609

Last edited:
i must admit i have never seen shock-wheel hub holder or shock to wishbone bushes before

Oh and spares as follows from Audi;

Standard Parts – Audi

Springs R – 60.18
Shocks R – 56.61
Springs F – 66.91
Shocks F – 75.45

Total – 518.30
Total incl Vat – 609

your totals include fitting?

Nein.

But Awesome GTI fit suspension sets for £167.50 inc 4 wheel GEO setup. Which is ****** good tbh, based on quotes from other local garages. Trouble is, I can't spend £800 in one go, so have started doing it bit by bit.

p.s, PM me if you need any other info. I am currently redoing all bushes, shocks and springs on the car.

yeah, the Lizard is actually the most southerly point on the mainland, even though lands end is the furthest point from John o groats. Dont know why is called the Lizard. The lizard is actually an ophiolite, i.e. oceanic crust forced up on to the continental crust....

yeah, the Lizard is actually the most southerly point on the mainland, even though lands end is the furthest point from John o groats. Dont know why is called the Lizard. The lizard is actually an ophiolite, i.e. oceanic crust forced up on to the continental crust....

its called the lizard because of the rock that it consists of, serpentine.

JD09, what I mean is the top part of the rear shock (inner top) is attached to the body of the car, the bottom part of the shock (outer bottom) is attached to the hub of the wheel - err, I think it's called the trailing arm :think:

Just to illustrate, here's a picture http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~sur188/MGF/old/bush1.jpg it's not from an Audi car, but you should get a rough idea. The rear damper has a rubber bush which is attached to a big bolt - the damper is slipping away from the rubber bush, because the bush is worn out which makes a knocking noise. Instead of purchasing rear dampers, I thought it would have been easier and cheaper to replace the rubber bush.

I defiantly need this done:
Is it possible to get the bushes replaced for the Rear Shock Absorbers, as they seem to be slipping from their mounts - I was told that the unit comes a whole, and the bushes can not be replaced?

that is way overpriced. You should looking at about half that fitted.

i mean 180 plus vat for top mounts, they are about £40 a pair I think? and take about 20 minutes to fit from wheels leaving the ground

JD09, what I mean is the top part of the rear shock (inner top) is attached to the body of the car, the bottom part of the shock (outer bottom) is attached to the hub of the wheel - err, I think it's called the trailing arm :think:

Just to illustrate, here's a picture http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~sur188/MGF/old/bush1.jpg it's not from an Audi car, but you should get a rough idea. The rear damper has a rubber bush which is attached to a big bolt - the damper is slipping away from the rubber bush, because the bush is worn out which makes a knocking noise. Instead of purchasing rear dampers, I thought it would have been easier and cheaper to replace the rubber bush.

My shocks were shot, but they came with those bushes so would suggest that maybe what you need to do. As cookstein has said, I've not seen the separate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tell you what, i'll do it all for £2k, that inlcudes me having to buy a press for £600 :)

I would buddy, I've done so and seen massive differences in price for the same amount of time, parts etc.

Its ALWAYS worth shopping about, just the way markets are nowadays, doesnt matter what you are after....

Totally off topic, but along the same lines....we went to get a pushchair/travel system and after shopping around saved nearly £350, which was nearly as much as what the lot cost anyway!!