my engine dropped out ....good times not

bansheeboyo

Reaction score
so was driving along and went over a speed bump ,BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!! wtf looks under car oil all over the shop engine bolts snapped and stripped threads inside engine ,boy oh boy i do love audi's :banghead:

WTF????

As voorhees said is it lowered? were you going at some speed?

I would of thought the bumper would have cliped the bump first!!

I'm trying to gauge the damage can you explain a little more on the "engine bolts and stripped threads inside the engine".

I feel for you fellow hope you can sort it out.

Sumps are pretty low on 20v cars, very easy to clip one especially if lowered beyond 30mm...

Post pics of the damage if you can, just hitting the sump wouldn't have caused the damage you described although catastrophic loss of oil from a holed sump would have potentially done some expensive damage to shell bearings and valve gear etc....

The throw of the crank does not intrude that far into the sump but the oil pump and pick up does (of course)....

Feel for you but its more common than you realise to knock a 20v sump tbh...

<tuffty/>

I've had 3 engine/gearbox mount bolts sheer on mine... not even going over speed bumps, all 3 times I was only driving 25-30 mph on a straight flat road. After that, I've never once felt safe while driving 70 or so on the dual carriage way etc.

sumps are easy to knock, I've smashed one on my old A3 before, scary experience.

Can't say I've ever heard of engine mounts sheering though, must have to take some impact to do that!

I've knocked my sump very easily mate. I doubt it was the engine LOL And yeas, oil splatters everywhere! I just hope you stopped driving the car when that happened!

i did this on my old A3 too after trying to venture a 'tractor only' road....turns out it was bumpy....didnt realise until i got onto a flat road and had oil splattering up my rear screen, luckily the warning light came on :)

ive seen this once.
chap with a tt, been to some other garage for a clutch.... (was in there for three days!) a few days after he got it back the engine dropped at the gearbox side. the bolts had pulled out of the mount that bolts to the gearbox. seems the garage that did the clutch must have ****** up the threads as both of them had been helicoiled!

this happened to my old golf. The engine mount let go and the engine droped on one side. And it was down to whoever last did the tiing belt not correctly tightening the bolts. We managed to get the snapped bolts out by simply winding them out with our finger tips. Very irratating