What tools and toolbox??

finesse

Reaction score
Right, decided to do a few jobs on my car myself; would like to invest in a set of tools.

What tool box and general tools are recommended? Buying Budget; budget - mid-range

id get the halfords big socket set when its in the sales at £99 ish think its 150 piece with spanners and is a good starting block for a good setup

I sell tools and toolboxes...

Sure i can hook you up

I would just buy as you go along. As you need something, buy it, but buy the very best you can afford at the time. It doesn't take long for them to accumulate and if you do it this way you will have a spanking good set without splatting a huge amount of cash in one go.

I would just buy as you go along. As you need something, buy it, but buy the very best you can afford at the time. It doesn't take long for them to accumulate and if you do it this way you will have a spanking good set without splatting a huge amount of cash in one go.

Whilst I don't disagree with your method of accumulating tools, finesse has asked for budget/midrange tools so he can get his hands dirty on the odd occasion. Surely buying a complete set that comes with lifetime warranty makes good sense? Especially with my recommendation of the Halford's kit, everyone has a Halford's round the corner, and they swop broken bits on the spot no questions asked, unless they don't have it in stock of course.

I would only go for top end tools, if they are getting used week in week out, like in the motortrade, but that's me.

Whilst I don't disagree with your method of accumulating tools, finesse has asked for budget/midrange tools so he can get his hands dirty on the odd occasion. Surely buying a complete set that comes with lifetime warranty makes good sense? Especially with my recommendation of the Halford's kit, everyone has a Halford's round the corner, and they swop broken bits on the spot no questions asked, unless they don't have it in stock of course.

...And I am not disagreeing with you either. That looks a very very good set for the money. Merely offering an alternative to the OP.

I would only go for top end tools, if they are getting used week in week out, like in the motortrade, but that's me.

I regularly use tools passed down from my Grandfather (bought tools and the odd home-made RAF radio engineer tool). Lesser quality tools simply would not have lasted this long with regular use IMHO.

I've got the small AA tool box they had on offer at Sainsbury's petrol stations. It's a nice size to keep on the side of my subs in my boot! Was only £12 but got plenty of bits to work with on the S3. My friend done his K04 turbo conversion on his Mk3 Ibiza Cupra with it! :laugh:

As much as the halfords stuff is good,.,, just be careful when it comes to returnin faulty stuff.. They can be very funny about it...

As i have a toolvan i can provide facom, britool, beta, sykes, draper, sealey, pretty much anything.. I do get your PM mate, Gearwrench used to do a kit very similar to the link you sent but dont do it anymore..

Facom, britool ftw

Pat

25393_1103768809987_1699740058_198931_7075509_n.jpg

Tools are not a problem when your in the trade and been collecting them for over 20 years! always buy the best quality you can afford.....

A work of warning with the halfords kit, i have one of their older 150piece sets, and its pretty awesome, however my brother baught a kit recently, which was the same 150piece one that they always reduce to £99, and its completely **** in comparison. The sockets are really crappy, the "deep reach" ones only have the same depth as the normal ones, making them next to useless, and they've removed stuff like a lot of the torx and hex bits, and replaced them with a ****** box of 1/4" drive parts.

As far as i can tell, Signet made the original tools, and still sell a very similar socket set to the original halfords kit. I can only imagine their prices went up, so halfords went elsewhere and are now selling *****.

Tool Kit 127pc Set by: Signet - UKtools Limited - Sealey Tools | Britool |

Thats more or less identical to my halfords kit, and its a good starting point for a toolkit.

i have three spark plug sockets,one of which i'll happily lend you John..... dont know the size though as i am at work :(

*if you agree the above post was useless, spare a thought and pass thanks via the button in the bottom left hand corner of this text box*

:)

I have both halfords and signet myself but... i have the keys to over 3k of snap on kit ! haha.
That said, for me it would be pointless buying snap on and such as the once a month or so they would see day light... just makes it silly dead money.

I've been collecting tools as and when needed (halfords pro stuff mainly - can't fault it very good kit), just make sure you get a tool box, mine are in shoe boxes all over the garage and can never find the right one and thus have duplicated some items, lol.

i buy bit by bit and usually buy snap-on, bluepoint and mac tools but would buy loads of others like britool, halfords pro, facom, bahco or sealey. i suppose it all depends on the tool though, ie you would be better of spending the money on tools that take a bashing (impact sockets) or tools used more often.

little bump im in the market for a toolbox for my garage ive got a crapp halfords 3 draw one form about 6 years ago thats gone rusty and faded, got most of the tools i need mosly halfords professional what would you guys recomend sort of £100 quid ish?

I bought this when it was reduced to about £79 recently and am very pleased with it. Also bought their lifting kit (trolley jack, 2 axle stands, chocks & creeper) when it was reduced. Good stuff for the occasional use it gets. No point in paying more unless it's going to get daily use in my opinion.

Halfords | Halfords Advanced Professional 120 piece Socket Set