Chris NottEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

Free Car Health Check - Coolant Discoloured

Took my car in for a free safety check thing at a local garage today. It got an advisory for slight wear on the N/S front lower wishbone bush, which I suspect is the cause of the creaking I get over slightly uneven surfaces and when I push down on the car (from all corners).

I also got an urgent warning about my coolant being discoloured.. I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like, but it's an orangey colour..
    Anyway, I'll buy some new coolant and replace it, might as well do the thermostat while I'm at it..
    Am I right in thinking that I need some G12++ coolant?
    Can I just buy some from my local Audi dealer or is there somewhere cheaper I can get it from?
    Are there any variants or will it just be the one type of coolant they are selling?

Sorry about all the questions, I'd be grateful for any help.
    Last edited by Sant.; 9th September 2010 at 18:46. Reason: Typo

2. # ADS
    ADS

Wana go Low gotta go Slow

Status
    Always stick with VW G12+ Coolant, do not put anything else in it. You can buy them from the dealers, they wont break the bank, IIRC 11 a litre. I would mix them at 50:50 will distilled water NOT your tap water. How old is your car? These G12+ are designed not to be replaced as they do last very long. Do you have any overheating problems?

Neutral

Status
    Didn't the G12++ replace G12+? I'll pop into my local dealer as soon as I get the chance anyway.
    Car is 10 years old, I was advised to change the coolant as it's apparently discoloured.. I don't have any problems with overheating no, if anything my car seems to take a little long to get up to temperature, which I thought might have something to do with the thermostat, so I was going to change that too.

1st Gear

Status
    Yes, G12++ replaced G12+.

I'd just change the stat and flush the system at the same time and top back up with G12++.

The coolant is probably just discoloured because a previous owner topped up with the wrong/different coloured coolant.