ZF8 delay when accelerating?

exiged

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've read a few other threads on the same subject so definitely not alone but i'm wondering if there's a fix or gearbox map to help the situation.

Late petrol S4 with ZF8 box which has a delay when accelerating. Around town in anything other than dynamic-s the car seems to always want to change up and leave you little revs to pull away with, creating an all or nothing situation. Even in manual mode at 3.5k revs, plant your foot and there's a delay before the car buggers off.

Any ideas?

Mine is a 2017 S4 and I always had this problem before. I don’t think you’ll get anywhere with Audi from what I read however I’ve since put on the 034 dynamic+ engine and gearbox tune and it drives like a peach now. Very predictable and fast when you want it to be also. Have a look and see what you think but I think it drives great and how it should have been from factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is a 2017 S4 and I always had this problem before. I don’t think you’ll get anywhere with Audi from what I read however I’ve since put on the 034 dynamic+ engine and gearbox tune and it drives like a peach now. Very predictable and fast when you want it to be also. Have a look and see what you think but I think it drives great and how it should have been from factory.

Thanks, i figured a tune may be the only way to address this. I'm in the UK so will see what's available over here.

034 is a flash it yourself at home type tune. So you purchase the tune and cable and use your own laptop and WiFi. Basically connect to your car and download the maps for engine and gearbox and it’s very easy and basically foolproof and takes in total about 15 minutes. Check out the 034motorsport (US) website for more details.

If you’d rather take it somewhere for a custom tune it really depends where you are but I’ve only heard good things about unicorn motor developments in Stockport. They’ll turn your car into a beast. I can’t recommend any other tuners for an S4 at all.

034 is a flash it yourself at home type tune. So you purchase the tune and cable and use your own laptop and WiFi. Basically connect to your car and download the maps for engine and gearbox and it’s very easy and basically foolproof and takes in total about 15 minutes. Check out the 034motorsport (US) website for more details.

If you’d rather take it somewhere for a custom tune it really depends where you are but I’ve only heard good things about unicorn motor developments in Stockport. They’ll turn your car into a beast. I can’t recommend any other tuners for an S4 at all.

Thanks for the info mate, home flashing is even better. I'll contact them but i was really just looking for a gearbox tune on its own, by the looks of it you need both?

Is this the one you have- https://store.034motorsport.com/b9-b9-5-audi-s4-s5-sq5-3-0-ea839-performance-software.html

I found this also from their uk distributor- https://www.mlperformance.co.uk/col...ssion-tune-s4-s5-sq5-1?variant=41179947368607

Try going through awesome GTI in the uk, they are the only resellers I know over here and should be able to give you what you need cable wise.

The dynamic+ ecu tune has a free tcu tune, though it’s not a full tcu tune, it just changes some torque limits to make use of the updated ecu properly.

They released a full tcu tune yesterday actually which is $650. I’m perfectly happy with the current tune so probably not going for that. Can’t comment on what it does yet but probably good if you are going full blat. From my understanding it doesn’t change standard shift points of the gearbox though.

I find the car drives great compared to standard with the non updated stage 2 tcu tune. Have a good read of the features also, there’s plenty of little extras you get such as rev limiter removed, auto start stop disabled and some more fruity exhaust pops and notes in dynamic (I like them, not for everyone) You don’t need bolt ons though an updated intercooler is a very good idea.

I used to find my car frustrating to drive, now I love it. Money well spent.

Try going through awesome GTI in the uk, they are the only resellers I know over here and should be able to give you what you need cable wise.

The dynamic+ ecu tune has a free tcu tune, though it’s not a full tcu tune, it just changes some torque limits to make use of the updated ecu properly.

They released a full tcu tune yesterday actually which is $650. I’m perfectly happy with the current tune so probably not going for that. Can’t comment on what it does yet but probably good if you are going full blat. From my understanding it doesn’t change standard shift points of the gearbox though.

I find the car drives great compared to standard with the non updated stage 2 tcu tune. Have a good read of the features also, there’s plenty of little extras you get such as rev limiter removed, auto start stop disabled and some more fruity exhaust pops and notes in dynamic (I like them, not for everyone) You don’t need bolt ons though an updated intercooler is a very good idea.

I used to find my car frustrating to drive, now I love it. Money well spent.

Thanks mate I'll look into them.

Would you say the dynamic+ tune makes a noticeable difference with the acceleration lag we've both experienced?

In my opinion, yes for sure. I know what your describing and it’s crazy. My wife hated it and thought I was just being an idiot when it shot off the line in angry mode when I was just trying to roll away ! Overall I can’t guarantee any behaviour but I’m 100% happy with the way it drives now….. and it’s a total animal under acceleration now but only when you want it

In my opinion, yes for sure. I know what your describing and it’s crazy. My wife hated it and thought I was just being an idiot when it shot off the line in angry mode when I was just trying to roll away ! Overall I can’t guarantee any behaviour but I’m 100% happy with the way it drives now….. and it’s a total animal under acceleration now but only when you want it

Nice one ill check it out, all the best

Let us know how you get on. I’m currently debating APR vs EPL vs 034 vs Revo

I spoke to EPL but my TCU software is not up to date enough to flash (I asked Audi to update it at my last service and they said it was up to date… [I know for a fact it isnt]).

Trying to solve the same issue you have a get a bit of power at the same time. Think I’m likely to go Revo at this point given price and reputation. I don’t like the idea of crackles and bangs in dynamic on the 034, APR is too expensive and the EPL lacks uk support.

Let us know how you get on. I’m currently debating APR vs EPL vs 034 vs Revo

I spoke to EPL but my TCU software is not up to date enough to flash (I asked Audi to update it at my last service and they said it was up to date… [I know for a fact it isnt]).

Trying to solve the same issue you have a get a bit of power at the same time. Think I’m likely to go Revo at this point given price and reputation. I don’t like the idea of crackles and bangs in dynamic on the 034, APR is too expensive and the EPL lacks uk support.
Is the revo ECU+TCU?.

I've just been driving around town in auto and the car alyways wants to be in a higher gear with low revs. Accelerate to speed up even slightly and nothing, press a little harder and it tries to shift down and blast off. This is what I'm trying to improve with a tune.

Is the revo ECU+TCU?.

I've just been driving around town in auto and the car alyways wants to be in a higher gear with low revs. Accelerate to speed up even slightly and nothing, press a little harder and it tries to shift down and blast off. This is what I'm trying to improve with a tune.
Trying to fix the same myself. Apparently the Revo stage 1 doesn’t need one.

I think I’m going to go down this route anyway as I like the ability to do map switching without plugging a laptop in and the price isn’t bad

Trying to fix the same myself. Apparently the Revo stage 1 doesn’t need one.

I think I’m going to go down this route anyway as I like the ability to do map switching without plugging a laptop in and the price isn’t bad
Id be interested to hear how you get on. I just assumed a TCU map would also be required.

Switching maps with the SPS is a bonus for sure.

I'm having the same issues with my 3.0TDI, the ZF8 seems to bog.... it'll rev but won't move instantly, and slowly release the "clutch"... feels like I'm giving a CVT

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk