1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Your Local Garage Labour Rates/servicing Costs?

Dave-S3 Sep 18, 2014

1. Dave-S3

Dave-S3 Registered User

My S3 is due servicing this month and I've been shopping around for various prices on the servicing and a DSG oil change. I've been shocked to find myself actually booking the car into my local main dealer as they seem to be the best value for money!! The £299 double Audi servicing offer is a very good deal as I'll make use of the next one within 12 months but I've found that two local garages have been charging the same if more than Audi would for the major service and a lot more for the DSG service.

Audi have a fixed price of £169 for the DSG oil and filter change and the haldex oil change I've been quoted £79. Which I think is reasonable?

The cambelt is also due at some point now and I've been having quotes around the £400 mark. With the genuine water pump and kit apparently costing £250 inc VAT. Most labour rates seem to be around the £50-60 an hour mark I was just wondering what others have paid for labour/servicing costs on the S3?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral Gold Supporter

I've always found AMDTuning to be very reasonable,but the Audi offers were very useful when the car was new,even if I did double up on oil services,as the long service interval seemed too long.

4. Dave-S3

Dave-S3 Registered User

Just had a quick ganders at their costs, £150 for the oil service and £210/234 for the major service, again seems like im getting a good deal from Audi. £199 for the DSG oil and filter change, audi are £169, again a good deal. It doesn't say about haldex oil but at £79 im not going to make a fuss!

The cambelt is interesting though, £370 from them, Audi is £549 inc water pump. I have been quoted between £360-£450 from local indys and garages all including genuine Audi parts, however from some quote breakdowns I get the general impression that the genuine kit price is £150+VAT and the genuine waterpump is £45+VAT.. so its down to the labour rates. My local Audi garage is so far refusing to price match an indy even though ive met all the T&C's set on the website. If my next attempt which will be actually speaking to the servicing/dealer manager rather than his associate fails how are Audi UK in these situations? Offer only runs until the 30th September so I haven't got much time!

5. S3Alex

It's often easier to price match the other way around!

I understand the way that Audi's cheap service works,as it's simple stuff that can be turned around quickly.

On the other things though,a good independent will often be cheaper,and do(IMHO)a better job.

I've just had the timing belt and water pump on mine changed as a part of a bigger job,but worked out cheaper,even when VAT is factored in.

Dave-S3 likes this.
  6. Dave-S3

Dave-S3 Registered User

I know where your coming from but i was impressed by the price of the dsg service, i had a few quotes and the costing was the oil being £12.50/L and it takes 7 litres, then two hours labour on top makes it a pricey job but Audi seem to have ir fixed at £169 for 2.0 engines and under. Im not planning on keeping the car longer than another 18 months really and given the relatively low milage id rather have all audi history when it comes to selling!

S3Alex likes this.
  7. S3Alex

That makes good sense,although most people looking for a used car will know the good independents to look for.

I initially thought I'd keep mine for a couple of years and move onto another,so the initial services were done by Audi,before the modding bug took over. LOL

8. Dave-S3

Dave-S3 Registered User

Haha yeah, I'm just also weary of things like having a full Audi service history when it comes to any good will gestures if its ever required! One of the sales reps though did say that its only really the servicing thats taken into account with that, any other work is usually fine done elsewhere provided that genuine parts are used! Im thinking of taking the £360 quote later in the year thats with genuine parts from a reputable indy fairly local to me!

9. S3Alex

I understand.

I'd say that if you were keeping it,then the independents are not only more cost-effective,but generally more able when it comes to fault fixing.

10. Dave-S3

Dave-S3 Registered User

Just thought i would update this as after speaking to the service manager at my local Audi and quoting the T&C's of the offer to him he agreed to match the price of £417.50 i had for changing the cambelt and water pump at a local garage and also said he would honour the free MOT's for life offer that normally comes with a full price cam belt. That and two services for £299 is damn good for a main dealer i think!