Your experiences with the police, good or bad?

doeboy

Reaction score
I've had my own, most recent was being pulled for speeding by a black scooby on the m40, what are you experiences? Dealt with professionally? Or treated like dirt? Post here?

50/50.. you have to remember coppers are human too... some nice people... some not so nice.

Very good the last time I was pulled, but I think that was only because they didn't get a chance to clock my speed. Got breathalised and a verbal warning about overtaking (which is apparently illegal these days). They were very professional and pretty decent overall.
I guess it also depends what they're pulling you for. I was followed last year for 10 miles on the A27 by an unmarked white Merc. They pulled me after I exited the road, said my driving was fine just too fast (87 on a very empty dual carriageway with barriers) but then still proceeded to issue a fixed penalty. Which was pretty galling after they admitted my driving was totally safe.
The thing that makes me laugh is the stupid ethnic origin card they now have to show you. They can't just ask what you are, they show you a list of options and you have to pick one. PC ******** (I think that was his name!)

I got done for speeding the other year 109.98 mph on motorway and the copper was really decent, told me that he could see that i knew that i had done wrong so was not going to preach to me, he also advised that I should save at least a couple of weeks annual leave for my ban. So overall I thought I was dealt with profesionally

From a very limited experience, the general feeling is that they treat you with as much respect as you show them. Get smart with them your fecked. But don't get me started on GATSO....

Been stopped once, driving my other halfs corsa, lost, looking for places I recognised, and went through a No Entry sign, BIB stopped me and said you can't go taking the mickey out of the system. I explained, I don't know where I am, my girlfriend's alone in a shop with a night club full of ****** people and I just need to get back there. Sorry son, sign for your 3 points.

Found out I wasn't actually insured for the car, but cos the insurance company misled me, went to court and came out with nothing, so karma does exist. Hi Officer!! :eiertritt: :)

From other people's experiences, on the whole they're a good bunch, but you do get some jobsworth who can't see the wood for the trees.

Ironically I’m half way through reading a book entitled "Wasting Police time" by "PC David coppefield" yes, it's not his real name but he does keep harping on about quotas in the form of "Crime Detections" which I suspect is what you've suffered for your error! *sigh*

I'd had no trouble since i started driving almost 10 years ago until i got 3 points for 84mph on a duel carriageway at noon in rural Wales on a Saturday! Caught by a mobile unit! got 3 points and £60, 4 months later i get caught by these guys. If your followed literally from lane to lane at speed and there's two in the car it's probably the cops! Slow down!

I was also questioned outside a Skoda Garage near me at 1am (eating food after work and before I bought my Audi) Fair enough I was waiting outside a car garage but why were they do unfriendly! Bordering on Rude! its just wrong

only dealings I've had are from a break-in at home, and an incident of road-rage.

both times I was told that someone would be around within the hour.

it took them 4 hours, and 3 days respectively....

so I'd say a bad experience, really

Not really had a bad experience, I'm always polite to them, and they are back to me. But my local neighbourhood police for my workplace are doing my head in! I've had an increase in ASB outside my shop of late, and the local plod thinks it's my responsibility/duty to do something about them, like tell them to p!ssoff, or call the police etc. ... there's 15 of them and one of me and a glass shop front I have to protect, so obviously I'm not going to provoke them... they don't really cause trouble in my shop, but it's the world we live in today. /Rant over

A Copper i know told me that there's a device that emits a frequency that only young people can hear. It's designed to make it uncomfortable and to pursuade youths to move on outside shops and trouble spots. He said it was based on the idea that after 30 or so most people loose their sensitivity to this particular frequency and so the responsible adults are unaffected while the majority or ASBO's are handed to kids. How true it is i don't know probably just an old april fools!

good and bad experiences think its down to luck more than anything else!

first example of good! when i first bout my A4, was really excited everytime the turbo kicked in and seeing who icould beat lol! driving at night down a clear road doing 45 and took a red light. cops on to my straight away, pulled me over and said 'youve been abit of a plonker, you where speeding and you took a red light. calm down, whats the hurry? have you seen the recent bike accident ads?'

at this point i thought yup thats it speeding fine! he then turned around and said 'just take it easy mate youve got a nice car there's no need to speed!' and he let me go i was stunned that i got off so lucky!

but 2006 not so lucky. on my way back from a crazy weekend with friends in leeds, booting down on a wednesday night M1 south clear no one around doing 80-90 no probs! came to junction 23 and i decided to overtake got in to third lane hit around 120mph! nxt thing you know blue light! kept flashing at me so i pulled over.

was a right grumpy ******, turned out be a sargeant! was polite to him was taken i nto the car and he started reading my rights and told me i was clocked at 120mph and did a pcn check he thne tells me i wasnt ging to get a fine or anything but i would have to go court and was looking at a ban! gave me a producer wanted to see the M.O.T certificate and then told me i would hear from the courts!

come june went loughborough court and got hit with a 6month disqualification and £250 fine!

thats my 2 experiences!

p.s.please excuse grammer and punc had to right that really quick lol!

I was driving down this very straight old roman road with a national speed limit at night once, when I was young and stupid. I was in my old CTR and decided to put my foot down a bit. Got to the end, into a 30 and this car came flying up behind me. Thought it was someone trying to show off, but yes you guessed it, it was the rozzers.

He pulled me over and came to my window. I had my license out already to give him, to keep lol. He told me he saw me enter the road from the roundabout and decided to follow me. He got to 100mph and was still losing me. It wasn't til he got to 130 that he started making any ground, but by then I had entered the 30 limit and had slowed right down.

"your only saving grace..." (yes yes yes!) "...I couldn't get close enough to you to put the computer on!"

He was pretty nice about it though. He chatted about my car and let me go. I did learn from it though. But I found it very ironic that I got away with speeding because I was going too fast!

The only other time I was pulled was because I turned right when I wasn't supposed to. When he checked out my car and found out it was forces germany registered he said he could be bothered to do the paperwork and let me go.

doeboy said:
A Copper i know told me that there's a device that emits a frequency that only young people can hear. It's designed to make it uncomfortable and to pursuade youths to move on outside shops and trouble spots.

I have seen this in action and it does work...called a Mosquito. Link below if your interested JOJO

http://www.compoundsecurity.co.uk/deterrent_news_150.html

What's your shop Jojo if you don't mind me asking? your only a short journey from me

staz1000 said:
The only other time I was pulled was because I turned right when I wasn't supposed to. When he checked out my car and found out it was forces germany registered he said he could be bothered to do the paperwork and let me go.

Gotta love the German plod.

Car + BFG paperwork = Auf weidersen

Been pulled a few times and had good and bad experiances, once i had 3 low tread tyres and they done me for one of them 3 points which was nice of them but he acted like a complete power hungry muppet.

Other time was doing 99.somthing and he pulled me replayed the video i asked for a copy he laughed we chatted and said he has to give me the points it will teach me a lesson. Which it did now i dont get caught ;)

only dealing I've had with them is when some chav tried to jemmy the back window and they were around the house in two minutes and tried their hardest to catch them but to no avail
I know a few cid

Glad to hear that not all of you have had bad experiences with us plod!!

There are some bad apples, but not many. Doesn't make it right though, just makes it a lot harder for the rest of us when they leave you with a bad impression.

doeboy said:
A Copper i know told me that there's a device that emits a frequency that only young people can hear. It's designed to make it uncomfortable and to pursuade youths to move on outside shops and trouble spots. He said it was based on the idea that after 30 or so most people loose their sensitivity to this particular frequency and so the responsible adults are unaffected while the majority or ASBO's are handed to kids. How true it is i don't know probably just an old april fools!

its true

Some good some bad...

But if one more stops me and searches me for drugs for being too young in a nice car wo betide him as im sick to death of being treated like dirt searched and then turfed out the car.

Especially in crossland moor (part of huddersfield) where they have a report of an asian dealer in an audi. Can they not see im white! Not wanting to sound racist (not sure if I am) but that accounts for the most part of crossland moor as it has a strong ethnic community.

If i wrote all my experiences id be here all day but its safe to say me and certain departments are not friends!

unkle said:
Gotta love the German plod.

Car + BFG paperwork = Auf weidersen

Nah this was in the UK dude!

I hate the German police.

A few years ago I was stood next to my car holding the door open (fully) and a bus went past an clipped and damaged the edge of my door. The bus driver called the police and said he saw me push the door further open as he went past. I asked why on earth I would do this on my brand new car. Then they said the wind did it. It wasn't windy. Then they said the wind caused by the bus going past. AND the 2 old people sat on the other side of the bus while it went past at 30kph saw this happen too of course.

My German girlfriend was in the car at the time so she tried to explain to the police what happened but it was futile. She was accused of not understanding basic science and that she lived on another planet.

It turned out it was my fault the bus hit my parked car. And they wanted me to sign the statement saying so. I refused of course.

A few weeks later I found out the stadt were trying to take me to court to claim for loss of earnings of the bus while it sat for an hour. Thankfully it never happened as I would've lost no doubt.

Only been pulled in the car once at that was nearly 20 years ago. I'd cut a corner when the police were coming towards me. It was a very wide bit of road and I only put about half the car over the centre line. Just got a stern talking to.

Got done by a camera van for 76 in a 60 on the bike in 2002 - 3 points and £60. Since found out that the equipment in vans is not very reliable with bikes and I always thought I wasn't going at that speed.

However I did loose my rag with the pathetic "customer service" in Luton airport last year. Ended up going back though the no return doors after baggage collection which is an offence. Security were a bunch of jobsworths so Police were called. They went through the process of giving me a formal caution but they never actually put it on my record :icon_thumright: as they obviously saw I was stressed out with a wife and baby both down with chickenpox :sadlike:

Onlyme said:
I got done for speeding the other year 109.98 mph on motorway and the copper was really decent, told me that he could see that i knew that i had done wrong so was not going to preach to me, he also advised that I should save at least a couple of weeks annual leave for my ban. So overall I thought I was dealt with profesionally

I was caught doing 102, Police were very nice once they realised I was not going to give them grief, just admitted what I had done, and they gave me a verbal NIP - 4 months on and I still have not had that letter about my court case, am I likely to from now? Can it really take this long?

They have up to 6 months to issue a court date so still keep those fingers crossed.

bravepilot said:
I was caught doing 102, Police were very nice once they realised I was not going to give them grief, just admitted what I had done, and they gave me a verbal NIP - 4 months on and I still have not had that letter about my court case, am I likely to from now? Can it really take this long?

I was done for 59 in a 30 back in October last year, my NIP arrived mid Feb this year. :no:

Always been treated fairly , and in truth never been done for something i havent done! so you cant really complain if you break the law(we all do) and get done!
Only hastle i ever got was wheni used to work in glasgow fruit market , start time was 4am so walking down the road(yes walking) at 3.30 i got stopped a good few times asking wher i was going at this time in the morning , strangley enought it was the same coppers a few nights in a row lol

I got pulled a while back when I passed a vectra covered in battenburg coming out of a junction at what they thought was over the 40 I should've been doing; I'd spotted them and applied a little handbrake to slow down inconspicuously but I got the blues and twos anyway. When they pulled me over they also explained that I had no insurance (which had been automatically renewed a little earlier)... In the end the only way I managed to convince them that I might be insured was that I'd got a new tax disc, and I pointed out that had I not had a valid MOT or Insurance the new system wouldn't have issued it. They were being really unhelpful about the whole business and had the penny not dropped about my tax I was going to the station and watching them have my car towed (ultimately to a scrappy!)...

...On the other hand though, I was going a little quickly on the motorway once and I was pulled so they could have a word. I explained quite lightheartedly that I was travelling swiftly because my wipers were pants and it helped to clear my screen. She laughed and said if I went on my way a bit slower would I give my wipers another chance? I felt lucky as hell and was well impressed with her attitude!

Mixed really, I think it depends like everything, on what kind of a day they've had!

Regards,

Rob.

jojo said:
I was done for 59 in a 30 back in October last year, my NIP arrived mid Feb this year. :no:

So it can take that long then - although am I right in saying they are only supposed to have two weeks to issue an actual NIP? I've had mine verbally... am waiting for the next bit now

My NIP from my first offence came through in 8 days or there abouts.

Ive been pulled over twice

1. After a cross section road thing, i booted it because one driver did a u turn on the cross junction and i nearly went into him, and then went about 10mph driving, i got mad and overtook him, saw 2 police vans in front of me parked up, as i think some house got broken into, and then out of nowhere a police car pulled me from behind,

he goes you shouldnt be driving that fast, i explained to him, and he goes just becarefull

he let me off :)

2. Had to pick a mate up and i was running late, so i kinda drove about 35 -36 for 2 mins and saw my mate so i pulled over, what happens next the police car pulls up behind me,

said he was following me and he goes what you doing speeding, i go how can i be speeding when you were following me all the way

he didnt say anything, then goes as i havent seen you before i will let you off

lucky both times and this was in my 1.6 :)

I don't have time for the police anymore i'm afraid not after all my bad experiences and that includes when i've not nothing wrong but been questioned!

I'm an ordinary law abiding (usually) Middle class citizen, used to believe in the Police but now i dislike them. A little difficult as one of my best mates is a copper. Even then i've noticed he's changed in his attitude, more arrigant. "me and the lads" Shame really.

jojo said:

If its a standard 3 points and £60 you have to hear within 14 days (+ time allowed for postal delays or if its a rental car etc). If its after the 14 days you are off the hook.

If you're doing stupid speeds that would result in you going to court i.e over 100mph in a 70, they have 6 months.

DiscoPanda said:
If its a standard 3 points and £60 you have to hear within 14 days (+ time allowed for postal delays or if its a rental car etc). If its after the 14 days you are off the hook.

If you're doing stupid speeds that would result in you going to court i.e over 100mph in a 70, they have 6 months.

Went to court, got me 6 points and a fine!:haudrauf: ... I only do 29mph along that bit of road now. :sly: