Yikes! brand rethink!

holly35

Reaction score
After causing a stir with my last thread on the Nissan Qashqai,i have had to have a rethink on my next car due to cost.
I find myself back at Audi A3 (or poss VW Golf)
Looking at the new 1.2 tfsi sportback in SE trim or a Golf SE 1.4.Probably include the following 17" alloys,heated seats,aluminium interior package,led interior lighting , exterior aluminium windows and non smoking .In red ,or amalfi.
Performance is not all that important,but a smooth ,quiet engine and cosseting ride quality is.
Any thoughts welcomed from anyone on these choices .Thanks

Last edited:
You're jesting us; I thought the qashqai was cheaper for more kit?????

What went wrong?

Reactions: cemerson
Cost error! Seriously,i am back with the above,so need to be quite tight on options ....any thoughts ?

Hi Holly,

My wife has the 1.2 engine in her new shape Polo and, whilst it's fairly smooth, it does run out of power when going up hills or carrying a full load, so I think it may struggle in the heavier A3......therefore, I would strongly suggest going for the 1.4 122 hp engine as a minimum. Regarding comfort, having driven both sports and SE suspension, I much prefer the SE, as it absorbs bumps really well...IMHO!

Drive the Deal!

Oh Holly, humble pie?

Reactions: warren_S5 and cemerson
I didn't think the figures in the previous thread added up...

When we looked - the SE Golf had more equipment as standard and was about £1k less than the A3.

The Golf also has an lower S spec if your budget is tight.

Adding 17 inch alloys will decrease comfort and increase road noise.

The A1 is getting a facelift at the end of the year.

Order now placed.
A3 1.2TFSI sportback in Amalfi white.
Spec - Standard 16" wheels and standard suspension
Heated seats.
Aluminium interior accents.
Exterior Aluminium window surrounds.
Led interior light package.
Non smoking package.
Privacy glass
Engine designation delete.

Good price???

How's it feel to be back?????!

Feels strangely satisfying.
On another note,i wonder if it would be worth Audi changing the name Amalfi white to Audi Heritage white, they could list it as a historical special colour and charge a few hundred for it? Not before i get mine though!!;)

Lol.. Whatever the reason, at least you have purchased a decent looking car this time.

Order now placed.
A3 1.2TFSI sportback in Amalfi white.
Spec - Standard 16" wheels and standard suspension
Heated seats.
Aluminium interior accents.
Exterior Aluminium window surrounds.
Led interior light package.
Non smoking package.
Privacy glass
Engine designation delete.

Just a question out of interest, why get heated seats when you have cloth rather than leather?

I have heated seats with Alcantara. They are REALLY nice this time of year!

Fair enough, I just only thought it worth getting with cold leather seats, but what ever floats your boat! :)

Not a fan of heated seats apart from in a Cabriolet . Standard on S3 in UK ... Not sure why.

Fair enough, I just only thought it worth getting with cold leather seats, but what ever floats your boat! :)

Have heated seats on standard cloth seats in my F30 BMW. Absolutely lovely. God send this time of year.

Nice spec Holly35 and thumbs up for the Amalfi choice!!! :hi:

There's nothing like a warm hug on a cold morning from your car while driving it. Doesn't matter the material used!

Reactions: cemerson
Cost error! Seriously,i am back with the above,so need to be quite tight on options ....any thoughts ?

lol after buying an S3 sportback I took advantage of the Chevrolet sale and ordered a Chevrolet Captiva LT for £12K, pretty amazing but they barely had any, if any but funnily enough offered me a LTX for £16K - no thanks even though great value with £12K off list. though the LTX would be a decent buy in this damn weather

Depends how you view Chevrolet pulling out of UK in 2015. bargain for the money, sure a Range Rover is better but for that money you'd looking at a 8 year old one with similar spec

Holly35
why not throw in HHA hill hold assist great option at a low cost wish I did this option, works great with the electronic hand brake. Once the hand brake is released the HHA comes into operation.

It's called 'Hold Assist' - 'Hill Hold' is standard on all cars. Just to clear up any potential confusion!

I'm glad you picked an Audi in the end. I'm sure you'll be delighted.

It's called 'Hold Assist' - 'Hill Hold' is standard on all cars. Just to clear up any potential confusion!

Audi don't help here... In the Owner's Manual they refer to Hold Assist and Hill Hold Assist. Too many Holds and too many Assists but only one Hill. All very confusing.

Reactions: warren_S5
Interesting - I've always used 'Hill Hold' (industry standard term for the feature) for the standard fit, and 'Hold Assist' for the £90 option on the A3 (which has nothing to do with hills!), never 'Hill Hold Assist' which just confuses everything!