Yet more RNS-E retrofit reassurance!!!

timjhoward

Audi Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

First of all sorry to post yet another RNS Retrofit thread, I know it's been done before. However having taken the plunge and bought an RNS-E unit I am now trying to make sure I have all I need to do the job (before I start ripping the car up, as it is only 4 days old!!!)

Right I've got a B7 A4 Cab currently with the bog standard Concert II head unit, BOSE but no Bluetooth. I've just bought a 2007 model RNS-E, part number 8E0035192Q, new antenna and the removal keys for the head unit.

I've got a friend ready to assist with the VAG-COM bit as soon as the unit arrives however having just visited navplus.us I am a little confused. There is talk of a Concert II+ on there and also mention of the upgrade being plug and play only if you go from Symphony II.

I understand the concept of moving the K-LINE and BOSE Pins so I have no problem with this but wonder what the scene will be when I remove the exisiting head unit in terms of connectors? In some guides the photos seem to show what looks to me like standard ISO connectors where as the RNS-E looks to have a bespoke connector requiring some kind of adaptation.

Can anyone tell me if the Concert II on my car will have the RNS-E style connector (just waiting for the pin swaps) or indeed whether I need to order a cable kit now as I would like to make the upgrade over the festive period!

Any help/reassurance would be greatly appreciated (nudge,nudge PetrolDave!!!)

As your car is an 07 your current radio will be the concert II+ not a concert. Your car will have a quadlock connector which will match the RNS-E, therefore after moving the 2 pins you mentioned it will be 'plug and play'.

Issac Hunt said:
As your car is an 07 your current radio will be the concert II+ not a Concert. Your car will have a quadlock connector which will match the RNS-E, therefore after moving the 2 pins you mentioned it will be 'plug and play'.
Second that 100%.

Don't forget to recode the instruments to make the navigation instructions appear when you have a route selected.

The RNS-E will show an error code due to the different antenna configuration between the Concert II+/Symphony II+ and the RNS-E - don't worry about that. For those who are worried there is a solution suggested that uses a VW antenna amplifier that converts the HF/HF feeds for the Concert II+/Symphony II+ into the HF/ZF feeds needed by the RNS-E.

Thanks all, thats the final push I needed to have a go at this over the Christmas week, I'm fairly confident now!

Issac Hunt said:
As your car is an 07 your current radio will be the concert II+ not a concert. Your car will have a quadlock connector which will match the RNS-E, therefore after moving the 2 pins you mentioned it will be 'plug and play'.

Great, well have no problems with swapping the pins over, I'll take my time and make sure I don't damage them.

PetrolDave said:
Second that 100%.

Don't forget to recode the instruments to make the navigation instructions appear when you have a route selected..

Ah yes read that bit on an article on navplus.us, I have the colour DIS and definitely want that to be active.

PetrolDave said:
The RNS-E will show an error code due to the different antenna configuration between the Concert II+/Symphony II+ and the RNS-E - don't worry about that. For those who are worried there is a solution suggested that uses a VW antenna amplifier that converts the HF/HF feeds for the Concert II+/Symphony II+ into the HF/ZF feeds needed by the RNS-E.

So not having the HF/ZF feed won't affect radio reception then?

Finally, has anyone run into any warranty issues (for things not concerning the RNS-E I mean) since making this modification? I wasn't sure how the dealerships would react, especially if they see error codes posted???

timjhoward said:
So not having the HF/ZF feed won't affect radio reception then?

Finally, has anyone run into any warranty issues (for things not concerning the RNS-E I mean) since making this modification? I wasn't sure how the dealerships would react, especially if they see error codes posted???

Warranty for un-related systems should remain unaffected.

The HF/ZF throws a fault when logged with VAG-COM, some people have reported reduced reception on certain stations.

I fitted an RNS-E for my Dad and his car throws this fault but the radio reception is perfect. No noticeable difference to the Symphony that was fitted before

FINAL QUESTION - I PROMISE!!

I forgot to mention that I have the iPod integration, well if you can call it that!!

Is this going to throw up any issues going from the Concert II+? The only thing I could think is that the CD changer connector might be different? I don't remember seeing different iPod int cables for the various head units but as I had mine factory fitted I'd not paid too much attention.

Hope I will be able to assist others in the future rather than just ask questions all the time!!

timjhoward said:
FINAL QUESTION - I PROMISE!!

I forgot to mention that I have the iPod integration, well if you can call it that!!

Is this going to throw up any issues going from the Concert II+?

Shouldnt present any problems, of course you still wont have any track information available on the RNS-E screen. I figured you already know that though!

That's why I binned the Ipod and fitted A Microsoft Zune instead.

PetrolDave said:

I already have the parts and the cables are on order, when they arrive and I'll fit the bits and post my findings....

Issac Hunt said:
I fitted an RNS-E for my Dad and his car throws this fault but the radio reception is perfect. No noticeable difference to the Symphony that was fitted before

Mine's also a retrofit, I often see greyed out FM channels in the local frequency list. So for me FM reception is worse than with the factory fitted unit.

Right just being doing my final research prior to the unit arriving and me having a go and whilst I thought I was on the straight and narrow (and despite your re-assurance) I have found something to worry about!!

Does the Cabrio need a different unit to the Saloon/Avant??? None of the RNS-E's I've seen advertised seem to specify that they are specifically Cab ready or not but the part numbers below (taken from navplus.us) indicate otherwise, I bought a Q as my car is a MY2008 so wanted as newer unit as I could get.

8E0 035 192 C Audi A4 Europe, MY 2004, 8E B6
8E0 035 192 D Audi A4 Europe, MY 2005, 8E B7
8E0 035 192 E Audi A4 North America, MY 2005.5, 8E B6
8E0 035 192 F Audi A4 North America, MY 2006, 8E B7
8E0 035 192 G Audi A4 BNS 5.0
8E0 035 192 H Audi A4 Europe, MY 2006, 8E B7, with SDS
8E0 035 192 J Audi A4 North America, MY 2006, 8E B7
8E0 035 192 K Audi A4 Europe, MY 2007, 8E B7, sw 0500
8E0 035 192 M Audi A4 BNS 5.0
8E0 035 192 N Audi A4 Europe, MY 2007, 8E B7, with SDS
8E0 035 192 P Audi A4 North America, MY 2007, 8E B7
8E0 035 192 Q Audi A4 Europe, MY 2008, 8E B7
8E0 035 192 R Audi A4 Europe, MY 2008, 8E B7, with SDS
8E0 035 192 S Audi A4 BNS 5.0

8H0 035 192 Audi A4 Cabrio Europe Basic, MY 2004, 8H (B6/B7)
8H0 035 192 A Audi A4 Cabrio Europe, MY 2006, 8H B6
8H0 035 192 B Audi A4 Cabrio North America, MY 2005.5, 8H B6
8H0 035 192 D Audi A4 Cabrio, region/MY/SDS unknown
8H0 035 192 E Audi A4 Cabrio, region/MY/SDS unknown
8H0 035 192 F Audi A4 Cabrio, region/MY/SDS unknown

Please tell me I don't need to flog this one and look for another, else I will have fallen at the first hurdle!!!

Cant say Ive encountered a cabrio before but I cant think of a difference. Check out this post HERE from navplus. One of the guys who posted here has an 05 cabrio with 'C' revision RNS-E fitted so it looks like the one you have ordered will be OK I think,

Thanks yet again!!!

Just logged back on to post that I have found a thread on navplus.us which seems to suggest that they do fit, and work fine in the Cab. Another user posted the exact same question (though going from a BNS 5.0 to RNS-E I believe?). Anyway I can breathe a sigh of relief as that would have been pretty frustrating that I didn't do my homework properly.

Wished I had searched navplus properly before I posted now but was getting desperate!

Cheers for your help (and others who have posted), I really will shut up now until the unit is in and working (hopefully!!)

Tim

hi
i know mines the old one ( cant afford the new shape ) but all is the same on the cab to the saloon and avant.
i retro fitted mine and they fit in lovely.
all the best lea

JohnS3 said:
Mine's also a retrofit, I often see greyed out FM channels in the local frequency list. So for me FM reception is worse than with the factory fitted unit.
That's why the suggestion that a VW amplifier is available that converts the two HF feeds into an HF feed and a ZF feed is one we're following to see if it both removes the error and restores full reception strength.

It's arrived, I have fitted and had partial success!

Old unit came out easily and after I'd worked out that to remove my glove box I'd have to take the iPod unit out to get to the 6th nut I was well away! Got my wires wrong a bit on the K-Line but fathomed out the error and managed to code the vehicle properly - now have DIS working and BOSE etc hooked up.

However no Satellite signal, took the unit out and examined the Fakra connector on the back of the RNS unit. I had noticed the blue plastic was a little broken when I first examined it but thought no more about it. However on very close inspection I saw that the male pin in the centre of the aerial connector was snapped and missing - looks like the unit was removed from it's previous vehicle a bit too hastily - which is also worrying!

It's a shame as it's otherwise in good condition and is the late model I was looking for. Having coded it etc I'd like to hold on to it so that brings me on to another question -

Having removed the blue connector housing from the back of the unit it looks as if the actual aerial socket may be replaceable (I am talking about the bit on the back of the RNS-E not on the aerial itself). Does anyone know if this is the case, and if so how I can get a replacement - I have emailed the seller on eBay (Based in London) but am not getting my hopes up too much. Any ideas who may be able to fix this for the right price?

Thanks as always
Tim

All sorted now, managed to hard wire the aerial to the RNS-E which whilst not perfect by any means solves the problem without an expensive trip to Blaupunkt!

Aerial installed between the two air vents by the passenger window and picking up between 5-6 satellites on average. This peaked at 8 this morning which I am pretty happy with!

Now I'm hooked and want to get a Bluetooth kit next (after researching what module I need) and maybe even the TV-Tuner as it does look pretty cool even without the PIM hack!

Thanks for everybody's help on this - can sell my Tom Tom now!!

Cheers
Tim

timjhoward said:
without an expensive trip to Blaupunkt!
That wouldn't have helped anyway - the RNS-E is made by Aisin in Japan!