Yet another wheel upgrade failure...

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Well looks like my latest wheel upgrade has failed , so that's about the 4th or 5th now ....I think i may just give up after this attempt.
So, dpd man dropped of my new alloys today whilst i was out, upon my return i decided to have a quick look at one before having a cuppa, opened up one box only to find they have sent me out the wrong rims.....doh.
Made a quick call to the seller and seems like a messup their end and they don't have the ones i wanted either .
Decided to have my cuppa and have a think on things, went back out and had a better look at them, in a strange way i kinda like them, i love dark wheels but not sure they look right on black cars, but these do look nice to be honest and in hindsight they look better than the ones i ordered....

decided to do a test fit , and they wont clear the brembo's , ( what a surpise) . using my trusty wheel fitment kit it seems i need approx. 3mm to clear the offending caliper section, i didn't want to be using spacers frankly so that has sort of swung the upgrade to a non starter.
I'm not 100% sure that adding another 3mm will work either , it may clear the caliper but will also move rim/tyre even closer to the wheel arch, and don't want a tractor look .

Where does that leave me now, well waiting for the seller to offer me any options but these rims don't come in any other offset, ideally i wanted et40 and then the added 3-4mm for a spacer would have worked out fine, kinda disheartened now with it all as these were probably the most likely rim to fit , just shows how wrong one can be even after doing a the calculations possible.
If there isn't a ready option then they will be going back and i'll probably just stick with the rials ....not an ideal end to the day.
anyway a few pics .
Sdr3
Rmt2
Rimt1
Rmt3
Rmt4
Rmt5
Rmt6
Rmt7

Reactions: J0N
It does seem to be an area where you can do your maths ten times over and get it all exactly right.... and they still don't ****** fit.

If it's any consolation your car looks great on the Rial's imo, and the silver gives a nice contrast and 'pop' with the black paint.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
thanks chap, I do like the rials but kinda fanceid a change to something different really, i wasn't planning on going the all black route but they have grown on me over the last couple of hours....,maybe its the polished lip that just brakes up the all black , or maybe its because it such a glossy black aswell...god knows...I just feel the old bus needed a freshen up if you get my drift and changing to different rims seemed to be the most obvious route.
I suppose the old adage " if it's not broken don't fix it " comes to mind here...
maybe tomorrow in the cold light of a new day things will be different.

I get what you mean, the silver to shiny black ratio of the wheel exactly matches the side of the car, with the roof bars and window trim.

Definitely more classy than murdered out.

Sleeping on it usually helps bring fresh perspective.

Or as it's friday, drink on it, then sleep on it. :D

You certainly do have some bad luck Rob, its a shame really because they do look good on the old bus mate.

Its that darn bad luck Friday again, it's allways on Fridays .....maybe also as they allways deliver my alloys on Fridays....

Interesting , normally black on black is lost , but you have a polished or diamond cut ( has it's own issues with kerb magnetisation ) outer lip that defines the outside and your big brake discs and big red calipers that pick out the black spokes .

Reactions: Charlie Farley
i think your right Gaz, they are very black but its all broken up into smaller areas , the thin spokes and polished lip & very glossy finish, contrasted with the red calipers etc , it all seems to work together better than just black ...
I'm very tempted to go with them and see what it turns out like, well if i can get the fitting sorted that is.

I've also noticed that the very glossy nature of the black does also pickup reflected light and from the polished lip, gives them a much lighter appearance .

As I posted in your other thread.....

I'm sure we all saw this coming from a mile away.

I really do feel for you Rob as I've never known anyone have such bad luck as you with wheels.

But on the other hand I do quite like them.....I thought they would take a while to grow on me but it was nearly instantly.

If you can't get is sorted out to fit you should be wanting some of compo hehehe!

Hope you sort it one way or another!

I have a cunning plan carl, i have saved the best image i have of the rim fitted and made it my PC desktop background and the more i look at it the better it seems, once i'm fully set on them ( pretty well now) i'll tackle the fitment issues...
rob

Inovit do a wheel that's similar....

productlarge_9627_600.jpg

Well it looks Identical if you ask me, apart from the V of some of the spokes continue to the wheel nuts on the WR and to the smaller holes on the Inovits.

sdr3-jpg.125405

Also if I didn't know any better I would say you're looking for a wheel that has a similar look to OZ Superturismo's. I've got a set on the Mrs Focus.....bit knackered now as I'm sure she goes looking for kerbs and other things to hit!

yes they are very similar carl, the inovits are a bit more dished than the WR's , i looked at the ino's first but found out they were a more dished wheel and they would be less likely to fit over my brembo's...hence why i went with the WR's .....

I was looking to get these first off this week, but same old format wrong offsets in the colour i wanted......very similar style to the OZ super legs.
Calli1

been doing some more working out, it seems that what I need are 8.5j et45 spaced to et38 or threreabout, that way tyre still fits under the wheel arch but not too far in also clear my brembo's....so the wolfs are going to be sent back, just wont work on the front with the big reds.....

I know what the problem is carl, they are big and red.....and stuck on the front of my car..lol, but seriously, I've been reading back through ajax threads and all does come down to wheel shape, convex centres are more likely to work than flatter or concave one, these wolfs are flattish and that's were the contact with the caliper body comes into play, if they curved out a bit more it would be fine, even going to an et44 version of the wolfs wouldn't work as they would be even closer...
having a serious rethink altogether now.

I recon ,that if you have any after market wheel suppliers any where near you. you go and see them and try some wheels that way you will be able to work out what will & wont fit. After all your only trying you not buying from them.

I know what the problem is carl, they are big and red.....and stuck on the front of my car..lol, but seriously, I've been reading back through ajax threads and all does come down to wheel shape, convex centres are more likely to work than flatter or concave one, these wolfs are flattish and that's were the contact with the caliper body comes into play, if they curved out a bit more it would be fine, even going to an et44 version of the wolfs wouldn't work as they would be even closer...
having a serious rethink altogether now.

that's not necessarily right Rob, a lot of wheels make up the offset by making the mounting face deeper/thicker, not the spoke rake/concave, i know that the team dynamics i looked at were like this, 2forge wheels are the same mate for example like this

these are the team dynamics,
17690084 10155232893069602 2053817116 n 17757832 10155232893179602 1225799647 n 1

and this is a better pick so you get what i mean

Rl 05 3

yep, I had noticed that a while back with vermilion messup tony, anyway, been down and had an old spare tyre I had here fitted onto one of the rims, going to try again this afternoon to see what they are like, deffo going to be a caliper and/or disc modification job if I stick with them

I think I'd be sending them back (Too late for you now as it looks like you've had a tyre fitted to one) as it could take months for you to get the brakes lined up and centred again.

I've had a bit more success this afternoon carl, after my conversation with the seller on Friday they said if I wanted to try one fitted with a tire that was Ok with them provided there was no damage...they also sent me out two sets of spacers 3mm & 6mm free of charge, so they are being helpful .
the tyre guys I use are very good and can get one on & off with no damage or marking at all, so there wont be any issues with sending them all back..
I had a 225/45 18 fitted to one of the rims this morning and I've fitted this afternoon, now its not the 235/40's I have on my rials but it has helped a lot to see if there will be any isues with wheel arch contact.
I measured both tyre wall heights on both rims and strangely they are the same height from rim edge to the contact surface point...measured them with a Vernier caliper and set square to get the best sizing, maybe the stretching on the 225 has pulled down the sidewall height, anyway the better news is that the rims do fit on ok albeit with a 225 on, and that's front and back.
There is still the caliper issue but that's down to 2mm, with the bolts nipped up I can rotate the wheel and it doesn't touch ,but, its a hairs thickness to be honest.
I've had the caliper off and the pads out and done the calculations and that 2mm can be safely gained by moving the caliper inboard 2mm , just need to fit a 2mm washer between the mount , disc is not effected and pads situation is ok, once the pads are back in and the pistons are pressed out there shouldn't be any noticible change on the brake performance or pedal action....
Now i'm not really into the tyre stretching thing but maybe it would be a possible route to go with these rims, I was going to swap my 235/40 onto the wolf's but the 225/45 maybe an option given my findings today.
anyway, added some pics from today session, I feeland I feel a bit more upbeat about things, probably stick with the rims now as they have grown on me more, and if I sent them back and got something else, I could be in the same boat all over again.
have a look chaps and give me some feedback on things .
rob
Gg2
Gg4
Gg1
Gg3
Gg5
Gg7
Gg6
Gg8

Last edited:
Reactions: Baka
they don't do them in 19" for a4 fitment..they don't do these rims in 19" full stop.

what i'm thinking is why you didn't just get the others painted black lmao

Reactions: martin1984
i mean come on Rob there's only 2 spokes and the colour in it

send the new ones back and paint your rials Rob we wont tell anyone

because it was only £50 more to get these new ones and I prefer the more even thickness spoke shape , also I wanted an et35 rim , the Rial were 38...
I didn't go for black to start with ,they made a cockup there end with stock and sent these out, just happens that they have grown on me more over the last two days...still hav ethe option to send them back but whatever I go with will be 18" now.....

Does this make anyone else's head hurt......?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sean_, Jimbo d, Charlie Farley and 1 other person
there also another reason why I prefer these tony, look at the rials and they are a slightly convex spoke section whereas the wolf's are much more concave , it very noticible when you see them close up, I kinda prefer the concave look , also why the rial fit over the brembo's with a big gap and the wolf's almost touch.....

my heads been pounding since 3pm on Friday afternoon on the whole subject, i'm have a deffo hair thinning process going on now...lol

you'll be needing some german shampoo then mate, lol. so will the wolf race go on without the spacers or do the fowl on the caliper mine sit very close but nothing should move so any gap is a bonus lol. if something touches then somethings wrong
20170514 180239 20170514 180243

the wolf don't touch but its only a hairs width, but don't forget the 18Z are a different shape caliper tony, maybe a tad bigger allround aswell which does appear to be the problem with getting rims to fit straight out of the box, well in a pattern I like.
I need 2mm which I can get via the caliper adjustment, then mine will have the same sort of clearance you have, so it not really the wheels that are to blame , its these darn red things..lol

Reactions: tony mc
you see , there's that 2mm again, and 2mm is not a lot , if I fit a 2mm washer in between my caliper mounting point i'll be good to go...