Yet another smoking post....

E_KEL95

Reaction score
As title suggests my tdi has a smoking problem. I've been searching the net for a few weeks now but still confused to what it could be.

It's at it's worst when cold, when it's first turned on usually a puff of blueish/grey smoke, when accelerating (still cold) a cloud of this blue/grey smoke can be seen in the mirror it's not massive but enough for me to be concerned and also kind of embarrassing.

When it's up to temperature when given a bootful puff of smoke still can be seen sometimes.

I know these cars use oil i've had to top mine up a few times maybe 2-3litres over the past 10 months (this normal?)

I've had the egr and inlet off and cleaned then the egr blanked off and mapped out, car is also mapped. It's a 140 BRE

I've managed to get a video this morning to help show yous what I mean, this is a cold start.

dose look a little excessive that like, mines a 140 has a little smoke on start up but not half as bad as that. is it using any more oil than normal ?

It was serviced maybe last April/May and hasn't clocked up the required mileage for another service only done about 7k I've maybe topped it up with 2-3 litres, is that normal or excessive ?

quoted this off the net mate "Upto 1 litre per 1000 kilometers is considered ok by Audi/VAG. " not so sure mine uses that much but it'll give you something to aim at until someone else a bit more in the know comes along, it'll also depend how its been driven

Bumpage...

Any of you derv gurus have any ideas of what it could be?

Had the same issue (BLB engine)

Mine doesn't use any oil between the 6K oil changes lucky.

I changed the tandem pump gasket only about £12 from TPS also a simple job, let the car get low on fuel then fitted a new fuel filter and fresh fuel

Seems to have stopped pretty much all the smoke on mine.

Reactions: tony mc
Was there any tell tale signs around the tandem pump suggesting it needed a new gasket?
Also where abouts is it located I've never had to work on tandem pump before?

Have you checked all the glow plugs are working?. This will only affect the initial start but duff glow plugs will give you white/grey smoke on a cold start.

That was one of my initial thoughts @desertstorm but didn't think glow plugs would maybe give all those symptoms. What's the tell tale sign of bad plugs is it is the tips are black ?

Managed to get to the bottom of this today... turns out turbo was on its way out and today it decided it no longer wanted to be a turbo.

Both relieved and annoyed as these type of things always happen when money is tight but what can you do now.