Yet another coolant leak thread (2.0 tdi 170)

buges

Reaction score
Hi

I have a coolant leak somewhere which is getting worse. About 3 months ago the coolant warning light come on so i topped it up & it was fine. Last week I spent some time away from home & covered about 370 miles. On the way back the coolant warning come on so i pulled over & left the car for abit & topped up. Then about a mile away from home the coolant warning light came on again (about 40miles from the last top up) so limped it home & popped the bonnet. In all cases there is still about 3cm of coolant left in the expansion tank, it doesn't overheat (sits rock solid at 90c) & only happens when the car comes up to temperature. So the next day i got hold of another expansion bottle cap fulled it up & left the car running in the drive, no coolant loss until the car warms up to about 90c than i would say about 1cm loss every 20mins on idle.

It's a 2011 A3 2.0tdi (170) s-line

Any ideas?
Thanks

Forgot to add (can't seem to edit my post!) Oil & coolant are clean, no mayo.

Hiya,

I had this too - but wasn't doing those distances for the light to come on... but noticed it ******* itself away every other week.

I took mine in, and turned out my radiator had a leak and was leaking it out - got it fixed by the same guys.