Yay new brakes fitted :)

vrbob

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!
Reaction score
Well i have been looking to upgrade my brakes for a while now and have been trying to find a reasonably priced setup on Ebay etc.I was after a LCR brembo setup but i couldnt find anything in the price range i had of about £500 that seemed to be ready to fit without needing a good refurb plus some pads and discs etc.Then about 2 months ago i sorta stumbled across a complete setup for the 8L platform which consisted of a brand new set of TVR AP racing 4pot calipers, New 330mm grooved discs, new ds2500 pads, badger 5 mounts and some braided lines. Managed top get the lot inc P+P for £525 :)

I was only missing the anti rattle clips so managed to source a set of these also bought some ATE Blue brake fluid and a gunsons Eezibleed kit.

Now i have never fitted calipers before or even bled brakes so was a little aprehensive about it hence why it took 2 months for me to fit them. But i eventually plucked up the courage and got to work. First off was changing out my old brake fluid for the new blue stuff. So read a couple of guides and got to work. First off bleeding the clutch and then each caliper in turn and then finally the 2 on the master cylinder.

Made sure this was ok and drove it for a few days to make sure no leaks etc. Then last night i got the new setup on and then re-bled the new calipers.

Made sure all was working while still up in the air on stands and all seemed good to go. So wheels on and i went out for some bedding in, Followed the advice of Prawn etc and did a few hard stops from about 50mph to 0 and then let them cool off and then repeated the same from about 70mph to 0.

The difference is quite impressive and i am very pleased with my new purchase :)

So made sure today there were no leaks and also gave the old girl a quick wash so here is a few piccies of how she sits currently.

Thanks for looking

Reactions: Alex C and jojo
nice brakes.

NICE price!!!!

:racer:

Cheers Prawny am very pleased with my purchase and yes they were a proper bargain concidering everything was basically new. Goes to show good things come to those who wait :)

Also on a side note bleeding my clutch seems to of improved my gearchange slightly too so double bonus :)

looking awesome rob! cant wait to see these in the flesh :jump:

Cheers Tom :)

No probs am looking forward to a bit of logging etc Monday night.

Cheers Rav :)

The more I drive the car with its new brakes the more pleased I become. The pedal feel is spot on but if I need to stop hard I can.

And I think they look very nice too nothing OTT but still a nice bit of brake bling.

Cheers Jardo

(wuhoo 2000 posts!)

Reactions: 16Klappe
WOW!! now they are nice! I Like this a lot! Nice to see something different other then LCR brembos IMO. :hubbahubba:

Nice!

What are those discs from? Have they been re-drilled to the correct stud pattern?

thanks for the comments guys :)

Yeah they have bedded in now and feel awesome got much more confidence in the car with these fitted.

Plus i love the look as they are quite understated in black with the yellow writing of TVR.

Not 100% sure what the disks are from but they look like a standard part as they did not look like they were re-drilled. Its basically the same setup Tuffty runs but he has 2 peice discs i think.

Nice!

What are those discs from? Have they been re-drilled to the correct stud pattern?

They are mk4 golf r32 discs, so 334x32mm with a 5x100 bolt pattern as standard :)

Reactions: vrbob
this looks amazing mate. i miss quite a lot not being on here as much as i used to! definitely need to see them as tom says! where you'd get them from how you stumble across them?! if i keep mine i need to get new discs and pads next for it all round i think..

Reactions: vrbob
Looks good mate... Still trying to work out how the whole set up was so cheap :uhm: just pads and discs for my Porsche stoppers cost me circa 300 quid!?

i had been looking for a good few months for something as Future on here has some very very big porsche calipers and discs and when he first showed me how good they were by trying to remove my face just using the brake pedal i knew that the OEM setup wasnt really upto the job especially when running stage 2.

So read all the stuff on here and basically started looking ot the boxster front caliper setup but as the calipers alone were £300-350 it just seemed out of my price range. So as i knew the LCR setup was good and could be had for £400-500 but every set i found on ebay needed refurb or new bits so again out of my range really.

I started looking for alternatives so just used audi big brake as my search and low and behold these beauties popped up. Contacted the guy as he wanted £550 plus £25 postage and managed to work out a deal for £525 all in. He was making an A3 track car and these brakes had been fitted to the car (but never turned a wheel) but he decided to goto 6pots and these were surplus to requirement. So i knew they were a direct fit as he had them on his 8L and it was also all basically brand new so win win :)

All i had to buy ontop was the ATE blue fluid and some anti rattle clips and was good to go. Plus i was also made to feel much better with my choice once i re-read Tuffty`s build and sawn that he uses the same setup on his car.

So my advice is if you can wait keep looking and a bargain can be had so good luck