XS - Power Relentless X - Pro 4 Fitting and test

MIGGZ

nanananananananan BATMAN
Reaction score
Hi guys

So a customer of mine has a S3 and his stock Manifold decided to crack, looked at all the options and the Relentless V4 seemed like the best option. Got hold of XS power and they were more then helpful to answer my millions of questions so i decided to order myself one as well and also being the first in South Africa I was extremely keen to get cracking.

I ordered the manifolds through Sam on the relentless facebook page it took like a week to get to me which is amazingly fast.

So here is my experience and fitting guide for the manifold on a 2003 Audi A3 FWD K04.
I have only done a before dyno and ill be doing a after dyno once the car has adapted and iv gone through everything again to make sure im happy.

DSC_0487.jpg~original

DSC_0490.jpg~original

DSC_0492.jpg~original

DSC_0493.jpg~original

DSC_0494.jpg~original

DSC_0496.jpg~original

1st up is new gaskets, nuts, washes, bolts and studs

1.jpg~original

Turbo to DP studs (figured I would replace while its open)

2.jpg~original

Mani to turbo bolts and stud (essential to have these)

3.jpg~original

Mani to head washes and nuts
4.jpg~original

to be continued......

Last edited by a moderator:
and all together

5.jpg~original

7.jpg~original

8.jpg~original

Now the work begins.....

Dyno before (3rd gear run)

dynobefore1.jpg~original

dynobefore2.jpg~original

9.jpg~original

i started off by removing the charge (boost) pipe, the tip and induction for some space.

11.jpg~original

12.jpg~original

i loosened the downpipe

13.jpg~original

14.jpg~original

loosen and remove the bracket that bolts turbo to block

16.jpg~original

now loosen the 3 bolts on top holding the turbo and the turbo should move down

now you can loosen the bolts holding the manifold to the head and just pull it off and out the bay
192.jpg~original

191.jpg~original

here is the stock mani to the V4

18.jpg~original

181.jpg~original

i used some high heat lock tight to the stud

19.jpg~original

and fitted it to the hole closest to the firewall or furthest from head

20.jpg~original

now here comes the fun part!!!!!

what you want to do is put the manifold onto the studs on the head but dont make it flush yet... on the pic below these are the most difficult ones to get to so put the nut on the manifold and move it closer to the head while turning the nut till it just bites and do the same procedure to the rest of the nuts till all is on and start tightening away

maniboltpoints.jpg~original

now once that is all done you can offer the turbo up to the mani.

push the stud through the hole like in the picture and tighten just enough to bite, now add the bolt in number 2 slot and tighten till it bites

22.jpg~original

now put the 3rd and last one on and wiggle it around until you get the threads and tighten away rationing between 1 and 2 and 3 being the final one

23.jpg~original

24.jpg~original

tighten the dp back up

25.jpg~original

26.jpg~original

the bracket for the turbo to block brace i bent it a little and it fitted well back to position closed up and bolted all the parts back up

27.jpg~original

29.jpg~original

overall im very impressed with this product and highly recommend it.

The bum dyno tells me there is a huge gain in low end grunt, top rpm feel. the car just feels alive again and extremely responsive and the engine tone has changed as well giving a more aggressive sound.......

stay tuned for figures and dyno results

Reactions: rhubarb4
Great work miggles! Nice to see you moving out the the dark ages with a manifold that'll really let it flow properly :)

How long would you say it took you start to finish?

Great work miggles! Nice to see you moving out the the dark ages with a manifold that'll really let it flow properly :)

How long would you say it took you start to finish?

hahahahah its all your fault

from start to finish it was like 5 to 6 hours but also had some issues with a bolt that broke so that killed time and to figure out how to tighten the manifold so all the nuts are on as once its flush to the head i could not get 2 nuts on so had to loosen everything and re tighten

yes sir i did, few people that has the manifold said they used the stock gaskets

I thought the Pro 4 flange was bigger than stock and thats why people hogged out the ko4 hotside and ran gasketless (as there's none that match) to make it flow better?

I thought the Pro 4 flange was bigger than stock and thats why people hogged out the ko4 hotside and ran gasketless (as there's none that match) to make it flow better?

as i could see the port on the flange was bigger but match porting the turbo to mani could work, was not going to do that as next up is BBT hybrid

Good write up Miggz, this is something i've been wanting to have a go at for a while but thought it was a much harder job than you made it look.

I think i'll give it a go myself now, thanks

Steve

Good write up Miggz, this is something i've been wanting to have a go at for a while but thought it was a much harder job than you made it look.

I think i'll give it a go myself now, thanks

Steve

thanks dude biggest tip i have for you is get different shaped spanners and lots of patience, the mani to head i used spanner size 12 nuts i used a total of 3 different 12 spanners

Reactions: S3 Hilife
We had to move my engine mounts a bit to fit mine in end then found out they were shot all lined up ok in the end had it on for a fair few months

So another one moving the turbo about grrr I wish they were consistent. Bending the lower bracket by how much made it fit?

brilliant thread miggz

do you have logs of egts before?
because even if the power gains aren't all that great, if you log a significant reduction in egts that will prove there's potential for more tuning. Timing too

Last edited:
yes sir i did, few people that has the manifold said they used the stock gaskets

there will be a step down to the gasket, flange portion is slightly bigger than gasket ID, although pipe which is welded into it is smaller ID..

Hey Miggz

Are the turbo to mani bolts you used OEM? Just wondering because the ones I picked up this week from the local Audi dealer looked different to yours??

Hey Miggz

Are the turbo to mani bolts you used OEM? Just wondering because the ones I picked up this week from the local Audi dealer looked different to yours??
Hey bud

Nope got other bolts as to tighten the bolts with a socket won't work due to space and the stock heads are shyt lol

Hey bud

Nope got other bolts as to tighten the bolts with a socket won't work due to space and the stock heads are shyt lol
those E headed factory bolts are not great to hold onto or undo are they..
strong bolts but horrible E socket fitting

those E headed factory bolts are not great to hold onto or undo are they..
strong bolts but horrible E socket fitting
They are a ball ache I stripped one on the S3 and i was like one step short of taking a grinder to the whole motor hahahahhaha

Hmmm. Looks like they might be a tight fit on a Pro4 using OEM bolts.
I'm beginning to regret buying genuine ones now! Drat, drat and double drat.....

Do nordlock washers work with locking nuts?
I thought they were just for bolts and 8.8 bolts at that, as using anything harder is too tough for them to bite into?

i moved the bracket about 11mm and it was perfect
11mm, good job it was a 2wd, a quattro car would have been stuffed. Is the car EGT equipped upon its K04 conversion ? You will need to monitor them very closely now

Reactions: <tuffty/>
11mm, good job it was a 2wd, a quattro car would have been stuffed. Is the car EGT equipped upon its K04 conversion ? You will need to monitor them very closely now
I have a egt probe in the K04 for when I did ebc just need to put a gauge on now as I removed ebc. Any reason to the sudden monitor?

Are You still satisfied with v4 rentless manifold? no problems?
Also please let me know:
1. Do You still have some spare cooper gasket mani to turbo?
2. As I read OE bolts for manifold to turbo are pretty hard to use with v4 . Where may I get these bolts You used? Do You remeber the size?