1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

XL Tyres for a Golf GTD

Pinky1959 Aug 3, 2018

1. Pinky1959

Pinky1959 Registered User

I have ordered new tyres for the GTD but I clicked on the ones with the extra load symbol by mistake , The garage say the tyres will last longer as they will be better as the GTD is a heavy car and I wont notice any difference .

I am not sure , does anyone know if they are right or should I get them changed .

Thanks in advance

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Rideen

Rideen Registered User

Those are the advantages. Disadvantages are greater fuel consumption, a bit harsher ride and they are more noisy.

Lol, they are pulling your leg with that one. If that was the case, everything except for superminis would be coming on XL tyres from the factory.

X3man likes this.
  4. X3man

X3man Well known member

I would say you would want to go XL if likely to load up with roof box etc, more more so in SUV/Estate.
    Get them changed before fitting if you can, but not the end of the world. Think I have had XL before, definitely a bit "louder" road noise wise.

5. DieselJake

DieselJake Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

I generally go for XL if I can, last longer and more rim protection. Can't say I've experienced more fuel consumption, harsher ride, more noise or anything above, if anything you can get better fuel economy as they will withstand higher tyre pressures.

6. Rideen

Rideen Registered User

I'm sorry but no. Normal tyres can withstand like 3x more pressure than people usually use so getting XL because of the higher pressure limit is weird to say the least. If anything, even if you'd use more pressure (which you can safely do on a non-XL tyre) the comfort will suffer.

Physics behind higher fuel consumption of XL tyres are simple - reinforcement of the tyre increases the rotational mass and the additional thickness on the face and wall of the tyre increase rolling resistances.

On the other hand, I do agree with the last longer part.

7. DieselJake

DieselJake Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

People don't get XL tyres to run higher pressures it's just a perk, I wouldn't buy an LSD to do burnouts but I could. Reinforcement and extra material "should" cause more fuel consumption but as said this hasn't been my experience and like I say you can run more pressure in them if you want to offset consumption... run 3x regular pressure in tyres and let us know what happens :playful: definately won't withstand it.

8. Pinky1959

Pinky1959 Registered User

I went to get Bridgestones fitted and they are on back order (good as I had paid on line ) so got Michelin PS4s , they look good on the car and I will get another two eventually .