Xenons - Question for owners, which lights operate

mattandrew

Reaction score
I have just fitted my set of OEM Xenons along with a Kufatec wiring loom. Think its because I had halogens before and how the wiring loom works but my lights work as follows:
Side lights - small side light on
Dip beam - xenon lower shutter
Main beam - xenon lower & higher shutter and DRL
Main beam flash (no other lights on), only the DRL light.

On vehicles with xenons as standard with no lights on when you flash main beam which light flash - is is low xenon, high xenon or neither

Matt

Matt,
I've got the Bi-xenons on mine and when using the flash, the high beam shutter portion of the lights come on...on dipped beam i get dipped xenon and side light and constant main beam is high beam xenon and side light

DRL's seem to turn off whenever the xenons are activated

Did you also fit the levelling kit? If yes, is it necessary?

Cheers

levelling kit isnt neccessary unless you want it really, I know the headlight washing system is supposedly law for xenon headlights but levelling I'm not sure, but I'm sure that all audi xenon cars have the auto levelling system fitted as standard, I've had 3 now & all with xenon & had the auto system with washing system aswell.

Kufatec do the kit for both anyway & you wont get oulled for not having these anyway so upto you really

but yeah I'm intrigued about this DRL issue Matt's having as I'm gonna do the adaptive upgrade aswell as bixenon from my standard xenon.

So let me get this straight, people with bixenon, when you do a quick flash of the lights as in pull lever towards you it actually flashes the main xenon beam not the drl's?

Matt scuse my memory from msn but did you say when you flash the drl's turn on/off or are drl's constantly on whether flashing or not so no light flashes as such?

levelling kit isnt neccessary unless you want it really, I know the headlight washing system is supposedly law for xenon headlights but levelling I'm not sure, but I'm sure that all audi xenon cars have the auto levelling system fitted as standard, I've had 3 now & all with xenon & had the auto system with washing system aswell.

Kufatec do the kit for both anyway & you wont get oulled for not having these anyway so upto you really

but yeah I'm intrigued about this DRL issue Matt's having as I'm gonna do the adaptive upgrade aswell as bixenon from my standard xenon.

So let me get this straight, people with bixenon, when you do a quick flash of the lights as in pull lever towards you it actually flashes the main xenon beam not the drl's?

Matt scuse my memory from msn but did you say when you flash the drl's turn on/off or are drl's constantly on whether flashing or not so no light flashes as such?

Auto-levelling together with headlamp washers is a legal requirement for all cars fitted with Xenon headlights - at least according to the Department for Transport fact sheet about aftermarket Xenons.

Auto-levelling together with headlamp washers is a legal requirement for all cars fitted with Xenon headlights - at least according to the Department for Transport fact sheet about aftermarket Xenons.

Its still a grey area here though..

interestingly the wife's car just sailed through its MOT with aftermarket Xenon's fitted (No auto levelling, no headlamp washers)

Its still a grey area here though..

interestingly the wife's car just sailed through its MOT with aftermarket Xenon's fitted (No auto levelling, no headlamp washers)

The MOT does not YET include a check for aftermarket Xenons but the DfT told me it would be included at some time in the future. It's not a 'grey' area according to them as their fact sheet explains, it's just not yet part of the MOT.

It is illegal but the chance of getting caught is slim. I only know of one case where a driver was stopped by the police because his headlights were set too high. When the looked at the car and saw it was fitted with xenons, they gave him a notice to have auto-levelling and washers fitted or the xenons removed and for it to be checked by the police within 14 days.

It is illegal but the chance of getting caught is slim. I only know of one case where a driver was stopped by the police because his headlights were set too high. When the looked at the car and saw it was fitted with xenons, they gave him a notice to have auto-levelling and washers fitted or the xenons removed and for it to be checked by the police within 14 days.

two things spring to mind

1/ idiot for having them set too high, though that is possible with halogen ones too (and my factory fit Xenons have a mind of their own but that's been discussed before)

2/ Top marks to the police for knowing Xenons come with autolevelling :)

two things spring to mind

1/ idiot for having them set too high, though that is possible with halogen ones too (and my factory fit Xenons have a mind of their own but that's been discussed before)

2/ Top marks to the police for knowing Xenons come with autolevelling :)

Quite right. His headlamps were set much too high and the idiot comes up close behind a police motor patrol - that's just asking for trouble. I think the traffic police are quite good as far as the law is concerned - it's all the others!!!

I have Bi-xenons on my A3. With no other lights on the DRLs come on providing I have then switched on at the lighting switch. As soon as I switch my headlights or parking lights on the DRLs go off. If I flash my headlights this is done by the Bi-xenon unit and the DRLs remain off.