Xenons Flashing

Vernam616

Reaction score
Hi All

Understand this may have been asked before and i have done a search but there is a bit of conflicting info which is why I'm asking

I have a 2006/56 A3 2.0 TDi 170 quattro S-Line, it has Xenons as standard however for a few months now they flicker intermittently and go off, i can turn the lights off and back on again and sometimes ok for a bit

Not specific to a particular side either, some days its the left some days its the right !

I understand reading from various sources its more than likely the lamps failed, however i don't know which ones to purchase, i have now read 3 different sources say they are D1S, D2S and D3S on the 8P

Can anyone help or confirm which it is i need to buy and maybe even a trusted place to buy them from without paying Audi £240 + vat for a pair !

Thanks
Dan

Could be a ballast issue too.

The bulb type is listed on the top of the headlight, well they are on the 8P3 anyway.

Thankyou for that

What makes you think it could be a ballast issue?, from what I've read it indicates lamps, i knew it would come down to this predicament, ballasts are expensive and if i splash out on them and find out it was lamps ill be gutted

Lovely, will give that a try, its worth trying for a Tenner before i fork out on ballasts, they don't create any errors do they?

They worked a treat in my 2007 S3 8P which is the same shape as yours so should be fine.

Deffo worth trying bulbs first although im not to sure on the price of the ballasts. Pretty expensive i imagine lol. :)

Lovely, will give that a try, its worth trying for a Tenner before i fork out on ballasts, they don't create any errors do they?
there is a strong chance a faulty Ballast will have stored a code, a bulb wont

Ballasts are around £300 oe

Mine do this 2007 S3 both flicker I just turn them off an on again an sorts it. Only happens every now an then scanned numerous times and no faults what so ever, might try them bulbs for sake of a tenner.

Last edited:
It only happens to mine if i start the car with the switch on already on dipped beam. I just turn them off and back on to solve it

1 year warranty on them to so even if they are rubbish and last a few months you can just send them back and get new ones under warranty! Haha. 10 quid well spent, there actually really good to.

I got 6000K bulbs which are a nice diamond white and not too blue.

It only happens to mine if i start the car with the switch on already on dipped beam. I just turn them off and back on to solve it
Mine too on auto, did the bulbs not sort yours then?

No i think its just because the car is starting so the electrics are sorting themselves out and the bulbs/ballasts dont like it. :)

No i think its just because the car is starting so the electrics are sorting themselves out and the bulbs/ballasts dont like it. :)
Was changing bulbs a pain in ****? Never changed hids before!

They have separate covers on the back of the headlight unit but you do need hands like an 8 year old girl haha. Its a squeeze but its possible.

Its easy to take the front bumper off obviously but its alot of extra work.

Luckily i have a 12 year old sister who got her hands in there without having to take the bumper off :)

My 5yr old son is gonna have to get his hands mucky then. Cheers m8

Reactions: sheardowns3
My audi a3 used to do the same thing
however only on the driver side bulb (had factory fitted bi-xenons)
was just a bulb issue, bought a new one for £27 (can get a pair from ebay forf £25 but needed straight away)
and was fine after that.
would defintely try the bulbs before ballasts

Reactions: S3 AEX
H might try the bulbs on my car then as this is precisely the same sort of issue I have. Although I've almost gotten used to it lol

It used to happen on my TT and new bulbs fixed it. I also used HID direct bulbs with no issues.

Last edited:
So I have a 2005 A3 SLine Quattro 2.0litre. How is the easiest way to ensure I'm getting the correct bulbs. I was gonna replace the whole head unit on both to LED ones :)

So I have a 2005 A3 SLine Quattro 2.0litre. How is the easiest way to ensure I'm getting the correct bulbs. I was gonna replace the whole head unit on both to LED ones :)
Think it states on top of the plastic cover on lights what bulbs you need. Or contact t8ups about leds mate.

Reactions: DigitalPencils