Xenon not working...a little help please guys..

S3 Rav

Reaction score
As above really. My xenon stopped working a while ago but have only got round to looking at it. Basically the lead still sparks when not connecte to the bulb....so. what happens from here. Can i just change the bulb...i know audi charge quite abit. Can these be sourced cheaper without loosing any quality. If so where can i get them from. Abit long i know. Help would be appreciated.:sos:

Hey Rav, believe you can just change the bulbs, ebay is your friend

Hey Nilz. yea had a look at ebay but wondering whats the difference in quality between the 30 quid ones and the more expensive ones. Just want something thats a direct replacement thats all.

Direct replacement is a D2S 4300k bulb.

I've had the £30 jobbies in my S3, R32 and A4 and have never had any problems. Just make sure you don't go any higher than 5000k colour temp and you'll be good to go.

Not much difference mate to be honest, its just people selling at different prices, obviously some will be better and more higher priced, but the cheaper ones are fine...and as already mentioned try not to go over 5k, i think the ones currently on the car are 4300k which gives 'natural' light effect.

Slightly higher and they will be bang on, oh and also, not sure if you are aware or not, but the higher the rating the LESS light they give off.

Slightly higher and they will be bang on, oh and also, not sure if you are aware or not, but the higher the rating the LESS light they give off.

You'd be amazed at how many idiots think the higher the rating the better the light. I've had many an argument on various car forums about this! I think I need to get out more...

so guys do you think it is def the bulb? the reason i ask is that the ballst ( is that the lead ignition part?) is still sparking when not connected to the bulb and i switch the lights on. does that sound right?

so guys do you think it is def the bulb? the reason i ask is that the ballst ( is that the lead ignition part?) is still sparking when not connected to the bulb and i switch the lights on. does that sound right?

Switch bulbs around and you'll soon find out if its the bulb or other component!

Don't mean to hijack but can you offer any advice also on xenons...

Mine went yesterday. Inner lights work but outer ones not working. Light came up on the dash with the bulb symbol. Does that mean it's just a bulb needs replacing? If so, why did both go out at the same time?!?!? really don't need a costly repair right now?!

Don't mean to hijack but can you offer any advice also on xenons...

Mine went yesterday. Inner lights work but outer ones not working. Light came up on the dash with the bulb symbol. Does that mean it's just a bulb needs replacing? If so, why did both go out at the same time?!?!? really don't need a costly repair right now?!

Gavin did you find the answer to this - I have the same prob