Xenon main & dipped OS headlight issue

Swanny356

Reaction score
2010 3.0 TDI pre facelift Sportback.

After 9 weeks of it sitting in the garage having a full paint correction detail, I took the A5 out at night.

Dash warning saying OS headlight issue and sure enough when I got home no light.

When I switched it from auto to manual the light kicked in, is this normal?

Don’t want to order the the replacement Osram bulbs at £160 if there are other issues, that bulbs won’t fix.

Took it out last night and within 5 minutes I got the same issue. If I switch to sidelights and back to headlights the bulb kicks back in for another 5 minutes.

Going to order a cheap bulb from eBay to see if that corrects it before ordering the Osram ones.

Unless anyone can steer me in another direction to fix?

Remembered my password for the A5 OC forum and found my answer.

This is a common issue once the Xenon bulb starts to fail.

New bulbs ordered (£180 the pair) and I’ll update once fitted.

Flicking off and on again may also be a symptom of the ballast starting to fail.
Did you try swapping the bulbs over to check the fault followed the suspect bulb?

Sorry I didn’t see this before you ordered....

Cheers, bulbs not arrived yet so I’ll post when I’ve done them.

I didn’t try switching the bulbs over as I was pretty confident after reading the article on the A5OC.

The bulb only comes back to life after switching it off and on, doesn’t flicker or even kick back in after a while.

Just praying it’s not anything else.

Changed both bulbs, would have been 15 minute job if I hadn’t started to clean everything; So far all working fine.

Engine bay nice and clean though

Attachments

• 2BCD7149-28B5-4E53-BF37-C1946C0E3B11.jpeg
    2BCD7149-28B5-4E53-BF37-C1946C0E3B11.jpeg
    733.1 KB · Views: 189
Quick update to say that all still well with the new bulbs - nice and bright also

Think the brightness must diminish with time on the bulbs.

Reactions: RS5 JON