Xenon lights (or no)?

A

AudiB720TS

Hi,
I am looking to replace (facelift) my front headlights. Is there an easy way to tell if my current lights are Xenon or not? I want to make sure that what I buy is compatible.

headlamp wash will be fitted if you have oem xenons.

headlamp wash will be fitted if you have oem xenons.
Just so I understand: you mean if there are washers on the headlamps then == xenon? I do have these annoying spray nozzles on there - sprays like crazy everytime I want to wash the windshield ;)

Part number (OEM) is: 8E0941003AM

EDIT: looks like this is Xenon indeed. When I look for aftermarket options, most lights will say: "does not fit vehicles with Xenon lights". Any idea on why?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have the factory xenons then the headlamp wash would have been fitted aswell, they go together, but you can do retro fit xenons if you don't have them already and without lamp wash but most xenon fitted variants have the headlamp wash.
it should only wash when you have the headlamps turned on, and yes it does use loads of washer fluid when in use......

It's actually a legal requirement with Xenons that headlamp washers are fitted & working. It is looked at by the MOT examiner - Possible fail if the car doesn't have them or they don't work. Especially with all the tightening up being done on MOTs now. Bummer but true........... :busted cop:

B7's also have an adaptive headlamp option , also in xenon form but they move when cornering.....works well as it came on my old bus from the factory.

Reactions: foursprungdugtechnique
Top one xenon, bottom halogen - easy to see the difference.

The lack of headlight wash is because this is a vehicle from a country where they are not required.

halogen-vs-xenon-oem-b7-audi-a4.png

Reactions: Charlie Farley
but if you imported a car from outside the UK , how would that work as uk cars with fitted as standard xenons need to have headlamp wash, or would they be exempt as they were not manufactured with them for the country of use.

Hi,
I am looking to replace (facelift) my front headlights. Is there an easy way to tell if my current lights are Xenon or not? I want to make sure that what I buy is compatible.

Just noticed you are in Sweden , that may change things a bit, in you country xenons may not legally require headlamp wash, so to be 100% check your lamps visually as Darren92 has posted.

but if you imported a car from outside the UK , how would that work as uk cars with fitted as standard xenons need to have headlamp wash, or would they be exempt as they were not manufactured with them for the country of use.

not exempt and need them to pass mot

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Ok, that's handy to know, not sure what the form is in Sweden though .

This is how my lights look up close. I conclude its Xenon then...

37910676_10155845339823196_6733555838683709440_n.jpg

I’ve just got an A6 Allroad. I have xenon. The colour of the indicator lens apparently gives it away on them, orange lens is a halogen unit, the xenon headlamps have clear indicator lenses...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve just got an A6 Allroad. I have xenon. The colour of the indicator lens apparently gives it away on them, orange lens is a halogen unit, the xenon headlamps have clear indicator lenses...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not necessarily

Reactions: foursprungdugtechnique
the amber lenses were changed on later B7's to clear ones as an ongoing improvement to the B7 models.