Xenon lights - 00776 Level Control Sensor G78

HerefordQuattro

Reaction score
Getting the 00776 fault code showing on VCDS lite - done some interigation and the voltage is showing as only 0.2v for the offending item (should be 1.5-3v as per the rear that works) this means that the sensor is at fault rather than the wiring (according to vcds).
Looked at the sensor and the link is still on the ball joints (hoping they'd just come off for easy fix).

Gave the sensor a good pressure wash and a soaking in plusgas but i'm guessing it's fecked.

1. How much is a new one? (only available from stealers?)

2. What affect does front sensor not working have? does controller default the lights to a lowered setting for safety and hence poorer lighting?

hope someone has some knowledge

cheers

Last edited:
Just getting mine replaced today so i will be able to tell you the cost later. Hasn't been working for ages but have decided to fix as lots of early morning late night driving at the moment. Mine stayed at a low level of dip, but am afraid don't know if this was chance or a default setting.

Front sensor replaced but not working. Further work required, maybe control block or reear sensor as well. Could not get VAGCOM to talk to controller

have you got full vagcom or lite?

I've only got lite and it found controller ok and could measure voltage change (or not) as i jacked the car up and down.

How much was the sensor FJ? and easy to change?

Garage were doing diagnostic, have not charged me for anything yet. Didn't mention any difficulty with front sensor.

found out today that my local dealers part man lived round the corner from my parents when we were kids so gave me discount on sensor; approx £63 inc vat (does this sound about right?)
Going to take old 1 off this weekend and put it on bench to test but not got much hope for it...

Got the old sensor off over the weekend , eventually - the cap head screws are seized solid and i had to drill out the rivets and take it off complete with the bracket.

Going to take it apart to have a look but i think its FUBAR, part number on it is 4B0 907 503 and dealer says it has been revised to 4B0 907 503A so hoping to find 1 for for less that the £63 he quoted.
If / when i replace it is it going to just plug in and work or is the xenon controller going to need recoding? i only have VCDS Lite so can't code.

Update: fitted new sensor (£60 from dealer) tonight, plugged VCDS in and cleared fault code.

Lights seem to have increased in range as expected (often find these things are very subjective) as a comparison when the main beam is turned on it doesn't make much difference whereas previously it did?