Xenon light package, advice please.

A3sportbackMark

Reaction score
After reading various posts and seeing lots of great pics ( thanks to all) I am wavering whether to add the option of the xenon light package. The description of it looks great, but I havn't actually seen any apart from the audis I see on the road. Anyone who has the package, I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

I hope to see the dealer and ask if it's not too late to possibly add the package, build week 32, is that reasonable?

If you can afford it, then tick the box, much better than halogens, all our cars for years have had xenons.

Worth every penny, once you've had xenon lights, you won't want a car without them. Had them on my last Peugeot, they're even better on the A3.

Having had xenons on my last three Audi A3s I would certainly not buy another without them. They are some much better than normal halogen lights especially as we have to drive on dipped lights most of the time. One of the first things purchasers of second-hand A3s want to do is upgrade the headlights to xenons.

I went for xenons and they are incredible, the brightness is astounding and they look amazing when driving up behind someone on a motorway, as was done to me soooo many times in my old Leon..

I don't regret chosing them at all (standard on my S-line), they have excellent light output and I love the look the of the LED drls. First car i've had with xenons, and I wouldn't go back to halogens now.

I hope to enjoy my first xenons this fall, unfortunately they aren't much use at the moment here in the land of the midnight sun! (Finland)

Reactions: Hemsley
Thanks for all your feedback, no regrets I see! Could well be another option for me.

I was looking at the pricing for the xenon lighting package (1,250) and then toted up individually (670).

1. Adaptive lights PXA £295
2. Light rain sensor PU8 £150
3. interior light QQ4 £225
and thought am i missing something here? I then noice the adaptive PXA is not available for the SE trim! sneaky, clever Audi!!!

Last edited:
I don't regret chosing them at all (standard on my S-line), they have excellent light output and I love the look the of the LED drls. First car i've had with xenons, and I wouldn't go back to halogens now.
Yes I totally agree about the DRLs, they really standout.

Thanks for all your feedback, no regrets I see! Could well be another option for me.

I was looking at the pricing for the xenon lighting package (1,250) and then toted up individually (670).

and thought am i missing something here? I then noice the adaptive PXA is not available for the SE trim! sneaky, clever Audi!!!
You can't buy Xenons as an option other than in the Xenon light pack. The adaptive option just adds the ability for the lights to steer around corners to the standard "normal" Xenons. Adaptive is only an option on S-Line, as only S-Line comes with non-steering Xenons. The Xenon light pack automatically includes adaptive as well as Xenon, so it's all or nothing on SE and Sport.

I'm getting them on mine, as everyone I've spoken to who's got Xenons has said they'd never go back to not having them. The adaptive should make them even better, and is a good toy too! I've always wanted steering headlights since my Dad pointed them out to me on a Citroën DS, probably 25 years ago!

Reactions: A3sportbackMark
Adaptive is only an option on S-Line, as only S-Line comes with non-steering Xenons.

Does anyone (NHN??!) know if the adaptive is something that can be unlocked with VCDS? So far, about the only thing I would like to do is the dipping wing-mirror but, if there is anything good I'm missign out on...... ;-)

Adaptive headlights are a different part to standard bixenons, so no its not a vcds enabling feature, I don't see why I couldn't retrofit them tbh.

Can you guys confirm something? If you order the Xenon light pack, that'll include the interior light package but if you ordered the S-Line then you'd need to order the interior light package separately?

I'm just trying to work out whether it's cheaper to order a Sport model and add some of the options rather than ordering an S-Line instead.

As I understand from the Pricing and Specification Guide (Valid from April 2013) The Xenon light package includes Adaptive xenon headlights (PXA), Light and rain sensor package (PU8) and the Interior lighting package (QQ4). The Xenon light package is only available as an option on the SE and Sport models because the S-Line has the Adaptive xenon headlights as standard. However the S-line does not come with the Interior lighting package (QQ4) as standard and this will have to be ordered as an option at £170.

...the S-Line has the Adaptive xenon headlights as standard....

I'm sure you meant to say the S-Line has the xenon headlights as standard. (They aren't adaptive as standard.)

I'm sure you meant to say the S-Line has the xenon headlights as standard. (They aren't adaptive as standard.)

Yes you're right. Thanks for spotting that. The Adaptive xenons on the S-line will cost an extra £295.

Not sneaky at all. The PXA option is to add Adaptive functionality to the existing non-adaptive Xenon lights which are fitted to the S-Line, which is why that option is only available on the S-Line and why your calculations come out wrong :)

Thanks Vertigo, I see where you are comming from. You and the others have highlighted that the only way to get xenons on SE trim is to order the xenon package. Makes more sense now.

First car with xenons also. Them coupled with the drls just look so good and the light output is amazing

I do find it bizarre that the S-Line is the only model you can get non-adaptive Xenons on. You'd think they'd make the adaptive ones standard on the S-Line, even if it meant bumping the price a little, both for uniformity across the range and also because they then wouldn't have to even manufacture non-adaptive versions, which would surely cut costs a bit?

Thanks for all you advice and knowledge, you have all said the right things (and more!). I have added the xenon light package to my order - not too late, hope the build date doesn't slip!

When you order the xenon light package, does it come with rear LED lights?

Reading the option list does not mention this, but I have read somewheren that rear LED lights are available in some form.

When you order the xenon light package, does it come with rear LED lights?

Reading the option list does not mention this, but I have read somewheren that rear LED lights are available in some form.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it includes LED rear lights. It's not obvious from the brochure, but you can see the rear light change on the rendered picture in the configurator when you add Xenon light pack, and the detailed breakdown of options in the PDF file you can get from the configurator lists LED rear lights as replacing standard rear lights.

I'm pretty sure it does come with them, yes. Certainly on the S-line you get Xenon's at the front and LEDs at the rear. I would assume the light package gets you the same.

Yes, definately it does - I have this package. The option is:

Xenon light package.
Includes Adaptive headlights with Xenon Plus headlights,

and then if you look at Xenon Plus Headlights:

Xenon Plus headlights
with automatic/dynamic

headlight range control, LED daytime-running

lights strip and headlight washers. Also

includes LED rear lights, LED brake lights

and LED rear indicators

Reactions: A3sportbackMark
Thanks for all your feedback, I shall look forward to the rear LED lights when my Sportback is delivered in sept!

i actually saw a 13 reg Audi a3 Sportback on the road today with the LED DRLs, man they look cool.

hi there guys,

quick question...i have an audi a3 s line 2013 sportback and it already has xenons but doesnt have that feauture of when you go round a corner the xenons go along with it.

is it possible for me to somehow get that feature on my car at all? if so how?

cheers.

Headlight difference, its a system that can be retrofitted.