xenon headlights

adamgroves

Reaction score
is it possible to fit a set of the newer style xenon headlights to the older shape A3 (1997) without any major changes, eg. changing the wings cos i've seen an R reg with the headlights that are all in one, look like the newer style ones?

The facelift lights can be fitted, but you need cut out part of the inner wing.

There are legal aspect to fitting Xenons. You must have the headlight washers fitted and you must have the self leveling system fitted also. The leveling system uses sensors on the suspension to control the headlights. Without this the vehicle won't pass an MOT.
Basically if you fit this lot then yes, you can have them and it has been done by a few users on this forum.

Do a search as there is a lot of discussion about this subject on this forum, with good info.

the slightest bit of oil film or dirt can disrupt the spread of the light and therefore blind oncoming cars too.

Is it just the "all in one" style head lights and indicators you want to fit or do you really want xenon’s?

for the last time washers and leveling systems ARE NOT PART OF A MOT as long as you the the right beam image ie kickoff to the left and the right hight adjustment it will pass your mot, i am a MOT tester so i know what i'am on about

its settled then, i'm gonna get a set of the all in ones, when you say xenon kits, do you just mean the xenon bulbs or is there a kit.

Anybody know of any lights going cheap

[ QUOTE ]
Adam_A3 said:
its settled then, i'm gonna get a set of the all in ones, when you say xenon kits, do you just mean the xenon bulbs or is there a kit.

Anybody know of any lights going cheap

[/ QUOTE ]

Actual xenon kits. They are basically standard replacements for regular bulb types, but you just make a hole in the back cover using a hole saw, and fit in a rubber gromet that passes through the wires from the xenon element to then ballasts and then the connection from the ballast to the OE wiring loom is the same as that of the original bulb, so basically the power input to the ballast is a dummy bulb. Incredibly easy to fit and works a treat over standard bulbs!

Rich

Check out Ebay for the Hella conversion units.Item number 7908982048.Direct replacement with no bodywork modifications.Come complete with the Hella self-levelling unit included.Xenon dipped beam (includes ballasts and plug-in wiring loom) with Halogen mainbeam.The guy is 1st class and it was a real pleasure to deal with him.He will also be getting the Hella headlight wash system in shortly.As for the MOT don't know but there is plenty of information on the site from when I contacted the Department of Transport and according to them it is illegal without self-levelling system and headlight washers.

[ QUOTE ]
peteTDI said:
for the last time washers and leveling systems ARE NOT PART OF A MOT as long as you the the right beam image ie kickoff to the left and the right hight adjustment it will pass your mot, i am a MOT tester so i know what i'am on about

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool! I've been told numerous times that you do need the extra bits, but if you are and MOT tester, then I stand corrected.

Cheers.

MOTs are pretty much subjective, i had my golf pass an MOT with a faulty ABS unit as well as having LHD front lights and it still passed.

Quite scary really...

I'm sure that you need the self leveling etc.

I'm confident I've read it in a government online paper but I can't currently find it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
scoTTy said:
I'm sure that you need the self leveling etc.

I'm confident I've read it in a government online paper but I can't currently find it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

not for the MOT ,maybe to keep the old bill and the EU numptys happy