Xenon headlight upgrade

Tony10

Reaction score
hi everyone.
I have a Audi A3 2.0 tfsi Quattro 2007.
I am wanting to fit xenon headlights from a s3 8p
Will these be plug and play or would I need the wiring loom also?
Or do I need anything else?

Thanks everyone.

@Tony10 - you need to give the forum more than 3 hours to respond - especially on a Saturday when we’re out doing stuff.

Reactions: James__S3 and Sandra
Do a search in the 8P forum....there’s plenty of info.
I fitted single Xenons in June/July 2016 and it was relatively straight forward , although not without its own problems .I posted several posts about the job...
Bi-xenons are even more work and require wiring adapters.
Be prepared for plenty of doom and gloom merchants to come along and say you need to install self-levelling suspension and headlight washers when retro-fitting xenons, you don’t.....

Usually you will need the headlight washers (fitted to the bumper) and sensors so the lights will auto align on start up.
If you don't have the washers you will not pass the MOT.
I would expect (but don't know for sure) that you will also need the lights coding by someone to activate them.

In summary, it's possible but probably not worth the expense on a car of it's age.

Do a search in the 8P forum....there’s plenty of info.
I fitted single Xenons in June/July 2016 and it was relatively straight forward , although not without its own problems .I posted several posts about the job...
Bi-xenons are even more work and require wiring adapters.
Be prepared for plenty of doom and gloom merchants to come along and say you need to install self-levelling suspension and headlight washers when retro-fitting xenons, you don’t.....

I thought you had to have headlight washers and self levelling for them to be road legal?

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Extract from ( https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/aftermarket-hid-headlamps/aftermarket-hid-headlamps )
3. HID headlamp unit requirements
Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the aftermarket should:

• be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component
  • when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place)
  • comply with RVLR as far as “use” is concerned
In practice this means:

• the headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be “e-marked” to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. - who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory
  • once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have “self-levelling suspension” and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam
  • the headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly in the same way as any other headlamp
Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary: it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.
For guidance purposes only

HID and Xenon are different technologies, although often confused with each other.
As a rule, HID kits are usually aftermarket and stuffed into a halogen reflector unit, giving poor light spread and cut off lines making it a nuisance to oncoming vehicles. From the drivers seat it looks like an improvement because they are brighter, but they don't compare to a proper factory fit Xenon system.

Over the years I've tried many many kits, headlights and bulbs.
Aftermarket Halogens are your cheapest and best solution for better light without dazzling others. Something like Osram night breaker range.
Factory fit Xenons are a superior set up and give the best amount of light in a safe manner, but they are costly for this reason. Osram bulbs can cost £80 each.
HID's are generally marked up as 'Off road use only' on the packaging. This is not a coincidence.

Reactions: Sandra
I have a 2006 and retrofitted Xenons last year, I posted sort of a guide. As mentioned no adapters needed but I fitted the washing system to pass MOT, did away without self-levelling for now but I want to fit it at some stage to make sure it's a complete retrofit and to be a good motorist and not dazzle other drivers with misaligned xenons

I have a 2006 and retrofitted Xenons last year, I posted sort of a guide. As mentioned no adapters needed but I fitted the washing system to pass MOT, did away without self-levelling for now but I want to fit it at some stage to make sure it's a complete retrofit and to be a good motorist and not dazzle other drivers with misaligned xenons
Heya !

Could you please link me to that guide :)

I just recently got my 2011 2.0l TDI DSG 8p A3, fantastic car !