Xenon effect bulbs

afoursline

Reaction score
Has anyone bought the Xenon effect bulbs and can recommend them by brand? I've seen a few good ones on old Vectra's which aren't too skally without the obvious blue effect commonly seen on Corsa's etc.

ive bought bulbs in the past which claim to be whiter etc but theyve all been crap. my advice is shell out for a proper set of xenons, me and a few of the other lads on here got a set a few months back and i personally would never go back to halogen. ur looking at around £70 for a set. best mod ive done to my a4 without a doubt

I didn't realise you could just buy Xenon bulbs .... I've been mis-informed that fitting Xenons required replacing the entire unit.

Do you recall the model you fitted. I'd rather get it right first time - thanks.

You need an HID Kit - High Intensity Discharge - its basically xenon bulbs combined with a ballast and all the wiring. Ebay is a good starter - £70 is a typical price as mentioned by Chris below - remember you get what you pay for and personally I would avoid buying from the Far East - although I know people who have with no problems. Fitting is pretty easy - pays to remove the headlight though. Let me know if you need an ebay link to where I bought mine from or advice on the headlights. Also the come in different brightness/colour scales - 6000k is a good compromise I think.

James :readit:

Is there any probs with extra heat inside the standard lights?

yep xenons are cooler in every sence of the word. cnt recall the place were i got mine from now but im sure one of the chaps will be along shortly to provide a link

Chris_20 nd quattrojames,
Did you install the xenons yourself, and what colour temp did you go for?
and were they hard to fit?
and does the DIS give any warning messages? As I have heard that cheap kits do this

the kit i use doesnt give any DIS messages. i got my mate to install mine as he is a auto spark, but i was watching and it seemed simple enough,just be sure to get the headlights aligned after u have installed them

Piece of **** to fit, took me 45mins to fit mine, could do it quicker too but hey whats the rush.

Go for the 6K temp as the further you go the bluer they get and eventually you'll be throwing out Purple!!

I got mine from this place : http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Vision-Performance-UK worked out £75 delivered nextday.

Never had an Issue with them, very good quality and No warnings on your DIS at all. One of the best upgrades Ive done so far and wouldnt go back.

Ive got a link for fitting when you need it but it really is a piece of ****.

Ditto exactly what J7USS said below - I even used the same supplier. The DIS only gives a problem with the cheaper kits because of the quality of the ballast I believe. 6000k is the one to go for in my opinion.

HTH James

Did you guys gor for the single beam kit? If so, does that mean you have no high beams?

:hi:Yeah single beam most of us went for, you dont need the high beam, unless you use it every night then cant see the point really.

what about MOT time?

Or is it only a problem on cars without projection headlights, as the b6 were projections?

I may be wrong

As far as I know there hasnt been a problme for any at MOT time, guess you can use a little sweet talk!
My old work place does mine for me so Im ok ;)

Shouldnt pose any probs with MOT, might have to get them aligned properly as when you install them initially the ballast may drop a fraction...

I had a look on ebay and I agree the 6000k are the ones to go for. Are the A4 bulbs all the same size when it comes to ordering as I'm so mechanically retarded I wouldn't know how to remove the housing to get to the bulb.

I've not has an Mot with them fitted but don't envisage any problems as long as the alignment is ok. You can only fit HID's to the dipped beams really - you cannot flash Xenons like conventional halogens bulbs. Not being able to flash is an Mot failure. I'm not too sure how OEM xenons get over this, but I have heard it is either with a Halogen bulb fitted purely as a 'flash' bulb - or apparently they have a motorised shield which is moved around the headlight reflector depending on whether the light is on main or dipped beam.

If anyone knows any more please enlighten me :idea: - no pun intended :hi:

:tumble:

afoursline - assuming you have a B6 model yeh? Then you will need the H7 fitment - by far the easiest way is to remove the headlights to fit - i can probably find a post with details if you want. BUT be warned when you do fit them it will make your 5w sidelight bulbs look really cheesy yellow! You might want to get some LED's sorted for them to change the whole lot at the same time while the light unit is out before you get the alignment checked. And then of course there is the main beams to consider - Osram Nightbreakers or similar maybe ........:salute:

you cannot flash xenons , well most cars are just xenon but bi-xenon are both light xenon , like bentley had both xenons for both lights lol , i think i know you james sure i remember that garage lol well i parked my car near there hahahaahh

you cannot flash xenons , well most cars are just xenon but bi-xenon are both light xenon , like bentley had both xenons for both lights lol , i think i know you james sure i remember that garage lol well i parked my car near there hahahaahh

Intrigued where you think the garage is? I don't reckon it's the same one!