Xenon D3S bulbs, which ones?

Sonnny

Reaction score
One of my xenon bulbs have died in my A4 B8.5, so I’m going to replace both.
I want the new ones to be brighter and I don’t want it to be more yellow than the oem lights. More white is ok but not white/blue.

I’m now choosing between these two,

Osram D3S Xenarc Night Breaker Laser
Philips D3S Xenon X-tremeVision Gen2

I’m afraid the Osrams will be too yellow because it supposed to be 4150k?
The Philips are 4800k and better price.

Anyone here have any experience of both of these xenons in terms of brightness, color and durability?

On the picture is the oem bulb installed in my car. Is it 4300k or 4500k?

Attachments

• 4834DA18-3287-4197-8CBE-6B41241F809C.jpeg
    4834DA18-3287-4197-8CBE-6B41241F809C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 490
The OEM bulbs will be 4300K

With regards to which to choose from out of the Osram and Philips bulbs, the Osram's are 4400K from what I can tell, it was the Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs that were 4150K. I've used them and they were noticeably better than the OEM bulbs (Philips I think) fitted to my Golf. And although a warmer colour, slightly, put noticeably more light on the road. As you've stated, the Philips bulbs are 4800K, so they will be slightly 'cooler' than the Osram's.

I've not read any reviews on the Osram's yet but, the Philips' bulbs get very good reviews, out performing the older Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs and I've been waiting for them to drop in price for a while now, before I buy a set.

I think whatever bulb you go for of the two, you'll not be disappointed. And both will be 'cooler' than the OE bulb in colour.

Paul

I have installed a pair of Osram’s Nightbreaker Laser a couple of days ago.
The first impression is good with stronger light and especially better side light, so thats a big +.
However, the temperature is way too much yellow for me, more yellow than the oem lights than I thought.
I’m going to test them a bit more, but I think I will send them back for a replace to the Philips X-tremevisions Gen2.

How many hours do you have on the Nightbreakers?

With HID bulbs you need to allow them to burn in before they reach their nominal colour temp and brightness. That takes a minimum of 100 hours and up to a maximum of 500 hours.

Paul

They have been on for only a few hours.
I didn’t have the burn in period in mind so thanks for that input. I will try them some more:)

How many hours do you have on the Nightbreakers?

With HID bulbs you need to allow them to burn in before they reach their nominal colour temp and brightness. That takes a minimum of 100 hours and up to a maximum of 500 hours.

Paul

Hi mate, super old thread i know! But you have some interesting thoughts on bulb replacement here. I have had one go so am looking to replace both of the bulbs. Do you have any advance on what you said above a few years back? i'm still a little unclear on what my options are, exacerbated by a wide price range, from £50 to £150.

Thanks

Put the Osram lasers in my SQ, big improvement over the standard bulbs (Philips I think) which were crxp.

Hi mate, super old thread i know! But you have some interesting thoughts on bulb replacement here. I have had one go so am looking to replace both of the bulbs. Do you have any advance on what you said above a few years back? i'm still a little unclear on what my options are, exacerbated by a wide price range, from £50 to £150.

Thanks
Hey, yes it's a little old this thread but, I don't think much has changed to be honest. I had a look recently, as I was curious if there were any new bulbs about but from what I could see, the Philips D3S Xenon X-tremeVision Gen2 are still the best option, just slightly pipping the newer Osram Lasers for brightness.

I've had the Philips' in my B8.5 for coming up to 2 years and they're great, definitely brighter with a just noticeably wider spread than the original Philip's bulbs that were in there. That said, it's easy to say the originals are crap but, they do age and as they age, they lose luminance. Depending on hours of use, by 5 years old, they're probably ripe for replacing. And if you put new OEM bulbs back in, you would see an improvement with them too.

If you do go for them, as I mentioned above, give them a couple of hundred hours to burn in before critiquing them, as you will almost certainly be disappointed when they're first fitted. They're nowhere near their best then though.

Paul

Thanks Paul, I'm having unnecessary bother with this! So a pair at up to ~£150 each isn't quite so expensive, given the min 5 year life expectancy..

I run the Osram Xenarc Nightbreakers in mine, they've been in 18 months and were in my vRS for 6 months prior, been good as gold, got them for £103.90 from Amazon.

The night I drove my B8 home I commented to my friend that the headlights were rubbish. Finally got round to replacing the bulbs just going into lockdown this year and decided to try the Nightbreaker Lasers. The light output is good but the colour temp is definitely warmer than I'm used to. The bulbs I'd like to try are Cool Blue Boost.

The night I drove my B8 home I commented to my friend that the headlights were rubbish. Finally got round to replacing the bulbs just going into lockdown this year and decided to try the Nightbreaker Lasers. The light output is good but the colour temp is definitely warmer than I'm used to. The bulbs I'd like to try are Cool Blue Boost.
Apparently the cool blue are not road legal...although i'm sure that's not going to stop everyone.

I'm going to pick one of these - anyone have a particular preference/experience?

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/d3s-osram-night-breaker-laser-xenarc-next-generation.html

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/d3s-philips-xtreme-vision-35w-4800k-xenon-hid-bulb.html

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/d3s-philips-whitevision-gen2-35w-5000k-xenon-hid-bulb.html

Yeah I think possibly because they're supposed to be 7000K they aren't technically approved but from watching a few vids on YT they seem to perform well and give off a good colour (possibly not as high as 7000K but nice cool white).

The Nightbreaker Laser's are so warm, even compared to my mum's factory Xenon lights lol. I think the Xtreme Vision Gen2 would be pretty decent in the colour and general output department. One of the tests I watched showed the Osram XNL beat it by quite a bit on dipped though.