Xenon bulb replacement.

Foshiznik

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 8v 2014 s line. Unfortunately the right bulb has gone. I’ve had a look at the great videos on here for replacing them yourself (without taking the entire front bumper off) as I don’t fancy the cost of Audi doing it and have the tools to do so.

The reason I have created a new post is because there is one question I can’t find the answer for. What Bulb do I need? I have seen D3S 6500k on one video but can’t find them for sale anywhere. Is there anyway I can find out the product code?

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need a D3S bulb.

The factory bulbs are 4300K when new, but as is common with HID lamps, the colour changes with age, ending up around 4500-4600K.

There are no D3S 6500K bulbs from reputable manufacturers - the lamp formulation required for 6500K light is not as bright, and the lamps do not meet the legal requirement. As a result, while you can obtain these bulbs from ebay/back street sellers, they are often from poor quality manufacturers, substantially dimmer than the factory bulbs and not "E" marked as road legal. I admit to having used these in the past (because they were cheap), but got bored with changing because they only lasted about 6 months.

Some D3S bulbs are identical to the factory replacements (4300K rising to 4600K with use). Some bulbs designed for replacement come from the factory as 4500K to colour match an old bulb. With new technology some manufacturers have developed road legal 4800K - 5500K lamp formulations which are often sold as premium products (with a bluer light, closer to natural daylight). There are also now ultra-long life bulbs designed for cars where bulb replacement is a huge pain.

Personally, I'd stick with the major brands like philips or osram.

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/d3s-xenon-hid-bulbs/?keep_https=yes#rfplist

Reactions: Foshiznik
Thanks chaps. Really appreciate the advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk