Xenon and Bi-Xenon... differences?

Ash187

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Probably a silly question but are there any visible differences (phyisically looking at one) in the 8PA Xenon and bi-Xenon headlights? i have seen a few headlights going for sale but i cannot tell if its a standard xenon or bi-xenon.

Also how much more work is it to wire in a bi-xenon headlight in place of a standard halogen headlight?

thanks

Bi xenon means that it is a single bulb that does both main beam and normal headlight. I think all 8p models are(with xenons fitted). The different model is the ones that are "adaptive" i.e. they turn direction when you go round bends etc. mine are not the adaptive, not sure how you physically looking l except on my leon which had them (seat called a.f.s. )on switch in they went up/down to align then side to side in and out.

Single xenons look pretty much like a regular halogen headlamp with a projector lens fitted over the dipped/full beam section as below:

ALL035.jpg

Bi xenon's have a different interior altogether compared to a halogen light, the main dipped/ full beam has different style projector lens holder with an extra ring around it and the sidelight area which houses the DRL has the DRL bulb in the center as apposed to top corner as with the comparable sidelight on single xenon's and halogen headlights. The Bi xenon also has a different reflector where the DRL is, it has a pattern on it as appose to being smooth, like is seen in the single xenon headlights where the sidelight is housed, see below:

ALL1685.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 55_UK
Regarding fitting IIRC, single xenon's only require an adapter from Kufatec or similar and some vcds changes.

Bi xenon's require more wiring as you have to feed 4 extra wires into the interior of the car from the headlights via bulkhead and then wire this into the central electronics board (ceb) removing a few interior panels as you go. Ceb will be where your shin would be when driving, when wired some vcds fun and games and all done.

Bear in mind that you should have auto leveling sensors fitted as well as headlamp washers (not that it bothered anybody I been behind :p lol), but its a 'statutory' requirement.

Hmmm... I have VCDS but im not so sure about wiring the actual headlights.... is there a certain CEB that i need? and how do i check which version i already have installed in mine?

might need someone to do this one for me.

Ah yes... which ceb's work... this you will have to confirm with NHN or Khufu et-al..

If you have ever scanned your car with vcds and logged the findings the part number of your ceb will be logged with this information.
If not you can just look at it by going into Cent. Elec. with vcds IIRC I'm a vcds newb so don't quote me on that but I know it will def be on a fault scan report if you've saved/logged one of those.

NHN is your man if you need the work done mate ;)

Yh i have had VCDS for a while but admittantly i have only done basic changes and a couple of installs with it :detective2:
Need to learn how to use it properly and make good use of the money i spent on it.

Right Nigel... where are you mate... we are in need of your expert advice!

I'm here mate, can do any of this for you if interested :)

Things I've learned from this thread....

..... looks like my car has bi xenons rather than just xenons. Never knew that - pleased I didn't add them to my upgrade list now Nige!

They also do the up/down, left/right thing when turned on. Does that mean they're adaptive too?

Finding out your car has stuff you didn't know it had - bonus!!!

Jon

Yes adaptive go l/r/up/down on start up at night.

I love them on my car, but best part are the headlight washers, they're hilarious man lol.

So as the questions are mounting up... what CEB would be needed for bi-xenon install, and how hard is the install??
I already have headlight washers and i love them too :p

Yes adaptive go l/r/up/down on start up at night.

I love them on my car, but best part are the headlight washers, they're hilarious man lol.

Result!! That's cheered me up ahead of the afternoon!

Know what you mean about the washers. My Mrs thinks they are far cooler than the V6 or any other feature my car has!

Right, waited for it to get dark then had a play with my lights (pretty rock n roll lifestyle eh?). They definitely do the u/d/l/r thing on switch on but there's no movement when I turn the wheel on main or dipped.

What's that all about then?

Right, waited for it to get dark then had a play with my lights (pretty rock n roll lifestyle eh?). They definitely do the u/d/l/r thing on switch on but there's no movement when I turn the wheel on main or dipped.

What's that all about then?

They will not turn while stationary without enabling showroom effect with vcds & thats not permanent, thats fact, they will do a test on startup, thats it, only when moving will they activate L/R however up/down is always active

They only turn with the wheel above 10 mph !

True

Uh no they don't

Not true, they only activate above a certain speed, are you not mistaking the test run on startup as I have had modules from before & after 08 as your car & both acted the same way which is as 2011 cars then, so no change afaik.

They will do at 30mph, it activates above 10mph.

On my xenons I have the leds, one bulb and an indicator. Does this mean I have bi-xenons? Also, when I start it up at night, the lights adjust up and down, but I dont have the adaptive type. When im driving, do the light adjust to the road (moving up and down) or will they just stick to a fixed level after startup?

Ok so i have just received my Bi-Xenon headlights and even though i was thinking i would wait a bit to fit them i am honestly itching to get them on now!
I currently have standard halogens so as far as i know there is a wiring upgrade i need to do but i dont know the specifics on it. I already have the headlight washers and tbh as i want to try and retrofit this myself i think i will pass on the auto leveling system for the time being :ninja:

So can anyone tell me what i need to do to get the bi-xenons working in my Sportback?

thanks
Ash

I think a company called Hazydayz make up there own looms for teh retrofit but I'm not sure that they sell them on, could also try NHN for a loom

I ordered my cable from kufatec and it came in 4 days from ordering I think, they had the order processed and collected for delivery in 1 day. Although definitely should be quicker ordering from those guys if there over here and have stock

but are Kufatec supplying them with the wrong connector?

does anybody know if a N rev module is fine for Bi-Xenon & can it be coded with VCDS now without any disco light issues?

What do you mean wrong connector? If you mean the UK supplier then the part number matches that of kufatec website... NHN and hazzydayz both confirmed that my f rev CEB will work with bi-xenon lights, maybe you should ask them?

Good point Khufu! I looked back at my order and it may have been a boo boo by me as the harness I got is for xenon to bi xenon. But I am told the wires are the same and another member on fourtitude had the same issue when ordering the correct loom for his car so I think it's hit n miss with them tbh. My sportback LED rear light harness worked like a charm first time no issues n has been running for 18+ months since.

Khufu, I haven't been able to have a look on elsa but will do tomorrow when I see a friend, I am wondering though... Is there a list on there anywhere that has a pin assignment for the ceb at all? Like the one I posted here

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...699-wiring-bi-xenon-advice-2.html#post1232369

My mate did have a quick look at the root path you suggested on my thread, (but got unstuck when presented with the ton of options to choose after (think you advised - current flow diagrams then look under xenon headlights). Hopefully OP won't mind as he maybe going down same route and will need this info anyway :)

There are a helluva lot of diagrams LOL. There are diagrams for lights/headlight switch under basic equipment tab & if you look under the root that basic equipment is on, xenons etc but I cant see a single section that deals with the CEM. My suggestion is to select correct year & model and when in diagrams do a search for J15 as thats the code for the module. This would let you work out whats wire to where etc. TBH, I doubt that there will be too many wires that will need changed but there will be some.

I'm too late for the N-rev its gone lol

They don't stick around those modules, do they!! When I got mine, I hadn't paid for it 3 days later and the seller asked if I still wanted it as he'd had 5 emails about having anymore :)

Guys,

Do you know if i can replace the halogen bulb in the DRL with an LED type bulb in the Bi-xenon unit? I want to get all the right bulbs in there before i go ahead and fit it in as i cannot be bothered pulling it back off just to change the bulbs.

Also I have just got the Auto light switch to go along with the install as i will eventually fit in the auto lights/rain sensor... how will this affect the DRL on the Bi-xenon unit?

thanks

From what I have read you can replace this with an LED but there was also PIAA's mirror chrome white DRL bulb that matches the factory xenon colour very well, although they are about 2x the price of what I'd expect the LED's to cost PIAA's are about £30 if I remember
correctly. I'm not sure if the side light option on the switch can activate the DRL's or if u will now need to get a xenon orientated switch or not....

Afaik that's correct, unless can be coded to run together...

Ok the Kufa wires came on wednesday and the DRL bulbs came yesterday... so now to get these fitted!

I had a quick look at how i would pass the cable past the firewall... now in the guide i posted above (Fourtitude.com - BiXenon Wiring & Coding) it shows how to get past it but its an American car so it says to go past the battery... but here in the UK we would need to go on the other side (under front wiper motor).
I had a look last night and i took off the front wipers but i couldn't get the scuttle panel off so i couldn't see what else i need to get past to pass the wires through. I think I will need to remove the wiper motor but then what do I need to do to get the wires into the cabin and to the Central electronic module? I did look at the possibility to run it around past the battery and behind the glove box but the cables don't look long enough to go all the way around :think:

any help is appreciated!

The scuttle panel does come off by lifting it out vertically at the windsreen - there is a lip on it that goes into a groove along the bottom of the windscreen. Take care when doing as its easy to split a bit of the lip off. Once its off, you have to manhandle the wiper motor out & that lets you remove the cover into the cabin.