Wrong to Remove DPF?

benjibarnicals

Reaction score
Hey all,

Quick question. I've just spoken to Superchips (who make the Bluefin remapping) and they have said they wont support cars that have the DPF removed. They had also said that its illegal from an insurance point of view removing it, whether cutting it out or replacing the whole unit - if there was to be a claim and the car was checked out to have it removed they wouldn't pay out.

Is this right? I'm not overlay fussed to remove the DPF if its going to cause a pain like this.

Ben

DPF has a shelf life of about 100k, before it needs replacing.Mine wouldn't regen anymore (163k now)

Thought it was an MOT fail if it's missing?
Can't see it affecting insurance, though!

If you remove the casing yes, but if it's done right, and hge casing is left, you can't see where it was removed from.

Sorry guys, but removing the DPF is no longer a good idea, can result in problems later, and on top of that your car will spew particulates for us all to breath in. Yes, the DPFs have been a problem, as in all new technology when it is first introduced. It is there for a reason, and that reason is simply public health. Superchips are playing it safe, and probably have some experiences with customers having problems with insurance companies. If I was asked, I would always say don't do it. Rant over!

In short yes!

And this is why

Diesel particulate filter check will now be part of the stricter MOT test

The MOT test for diesel cars will be tightened up from February 2014 and any car that is missing a diesel particulate filter (DPF) once fitted as standard will fail.

Currently a car is only tested on the emissions, and not if it has a DPF still attached. However, this will change with garages and testing centres now required to check that the part is still present.

Companies across the UK offer to remove the DPF for motorists in a bid to avoid costly repairs. The filter has to be regularly regenerated to burn off soot that builds up over time by driving the car up to 40mph for more than 10 minutes – often done on motorway journeys.

However, if this isn’t done then it can lead to the filter becoming clogged with prices for a new part costing upwards of £1,000. In order to avoid such problems, some drivers will get the part removed.

This practice has always been illegal, contravening the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulation 61 A as it no longer meets emission standards applied to it when new, but companies continue to advertise the practice.

Roads Minister Robert Goodwill said: “I am very concerned that vehicles are being modified in a way that is clearly detrimental to people’s health and undoes the hard work car manufacturers have taken to improve emissions standards.

“This change to the MOT tests makes it clear – if you have this filter removed from your car it will fail the test.”

A spokesman from the Department for Transport told us that anyone that has had the filter removed, will now have to a new one put back on their car in order to pass their next MOT test

Reactions: Geraldy212
Think I'll leave mine on :) Thanks for the clarification guys.

It makes sense though, its like removing CAT's from petrol cars (certainly older cars - like i remember I did with my old Impreza), then emissions go off the scale.

I guess what different it makes to performance (removing DPF's) is negligible. Not enough to warrant failed MOT's etc

Humm not buying a newer diesel anytime soon then, I'll stick with my BKD for a while!

Working in the trade I can tell you its just a visual check.

And as for the argument about the particles coming out have you seen a car doing a regen lol

Reactions: Sayam and LEE69