Would you use spacers on your S4?

ColinM

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of winter tyres and in Germany you can spec an S4 Avant with 18 or 19" wheels and then order a set of winter wheels/tyres separately. In the UK, options are more limited to 3 versions of 19" only.

Audi Germany S4 Avant Wheel Options
wheels_de.jpg

In the UK, this is your choice:

wheels_uk.jpg

So I have been shopping around for some OEM Audi wheels that will fit my car and found some I liked (none of the above designs) on Ebay:

18wheels.jpg

The seller (an experienced wheel seller, not just a one off) assured me these would fit the B9 S4 Avant before I bought. I took the wheels and my new 18" Conti Winter Contacts to my local independent tyre place (the chain outfits won't fit customer supplied tyres). I asked them to test the wheels first which they did and they rub on the caliper. I was mighty peed off so contacted the seller who suggested a set of spacers.

The tyre fitters say they don't like using spacers, I personally don't think I should as they are a compromise to make these wheels fit when the seller said they would prior to purchase.

I'm in a dilemma since I liked this design, I can't find the 18" ones in the Audi de options on Ebay. Audi want silly money to order 18" they say will fit. Ideally I would like the part numbers of the 18" choices above so I can hunt for them.

Would you fit spacers to make this work?

Use proper hub centric spacers and the correct seating and length of bolts there’s no issue with them.
I’d be asking for the seller for some money towards them tho since he said they would fit.
I fancy spacers for my s4 and @Daggerit has them on his

I had exactly the same problem, the winter alloys I had on my B8 wouldn't fit so I got some Eibach 12mm hubcentric spacers and 40mm bolts. Works a treat and no issues. Just hope when I take them off the spacers have welded to the wheel and not the hub...

Just be careful about the bolt seating type. If the wheels are genuine audi they are almost certainly a radius seat (ball shape) whereas aftermarket alloys will almost certainly be tapered (cone shape). I cocked up on that one and had to wait a week for new bolts.

As Spaceman has said, I run 12mm spacers all round with my summer wheels and I've had no issues provided you use longer wheel bolts. :)

I actually have the same wheels as you've put pictures for my winter wheels but they're from an A5 with a slightly more aggressive ET29 offset from the standard ET40 and they fit with room to spare over the front brakes. If they're the A4 version just check the offset and you might still be alright.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
As Spaceman has said, I run 12mm spacers all round with my summer wheels and I've had no issues provided you use longer wheel bolts. :)

I actually have the same wheels as you've put pictures for my winter wheels but they're from an A5 with a slightly more aggressive ET29 offset from the standard ET40 and they fit with room to spare over the front brakes. If they're the A4 version just check the offset and you might still be alright.

Thanks D, the ones I bought are ET47. I’ll chat to the guy about supplying decent spacers and bolts.

Thanks D, the ones I bought are ET47. I’ll chat to the guy about supplying decent spacers and bolts.

Oh wow, I imagine that they'll bump the brakes significantly without the spacers! It's hard to say with certainty as the spoke design on the inside of the wheel plays a huge part in caliper clearance as well and mine will be different than what you've got because of the offset differences so can't even use them as an idea.

With some 12-15mm spacers I imagine that you'll be fine though.

As has been mentioned, as long as you stick with hubcentric with the correct length bolts you'll be fine.

Let me know if we can be any help with info or prices.

Damian @ DPM Performance

I had 15mm H&R hubcentric spacers all round on my B8 with longer bolts, no issues with the spacers at all.

As I have 19" I had to remove them due to occasional rubbing, apparently for the B8 10mm front & 12mm rear is ideal & no rubbing.

I have been running a ECS flush kit since I took delivery of the car in June .. no rubbing and just looks so much better in my opinion, as others have said you must use longer bolts (and locking wheel nuts in my case)

786B025C D10A 412F 8FF8 2BB63B0CC610 986E5674 121E 47FA 9B1E A244243B3DD0
12B30F06 F373 4FF9 B258 3BDAF4A735E1

Cheers

Andy..

I’ve ordered a pair of 5mm hubcentrics as this may be enough and I understand these can still be used with original bolts as lng as I get 7 full turns in the thread. I’m not bothered about the flush look since this will probably end up throwing more mud and debris down the side of the car in poor weather.

Having a job trying to get wheel info off the dealer (Chelmsford Audi). They won’t tell me the part numbers of the wheels in the top of first photo due to “company policy”. They won’t refer my tech questions back to Audi UK or Audi Germany “our franchise has no contact with HQ”.

They want to sell me a set of 18” wheels (top left of first photo) for £3,060 “no discount on wheels” but won’t tell me the part number or ET prior to purchase.

The stealer is generally unhelpful in trying to sort this for me.

I’ve ordered a pair of 5mm hubcentrics as this may be enough and I understand these can still be used with original bolts as lng as I get 7 full turns in the thread. I’m not bothered about the flush look since this will probably end up throwing more mud and debris down the side of the car in poor weather.

5mm spacers won't really be 'hubcnetric' as such and I definitely wouldn't recommend using standard bolts with them.

Damian @ DPM Performance

@ColinM
I have the same issues as above, I have a set of 18s with winters that I ran on my B8.5 S4
(8j wide 40 offset) I don't particularly want to use spacers and have been looking for alternative wheels on eBay.

I very nearly bought the same as you, so you've saved me a bit of bother!

The wheels in the picture are these I believe
(Part number below in picture)

IMG 5354

What I dont get is how these fit when these are also 8j wide with 40 offset - guess these are specifically manufactured to suit the S4 brakes

IMG 5352

Hope you get it sorted

What I dont get is how these fit when these are also 8j wide with 40 offset - guess these are specifically manufactured to suit the S4 brakes

Looking closely, it seems the wheel design has the arms arch outwards away from the caliper. If they have a flatter rim to hub profile then that straight line "cuts the corner" and gets close to/hits the caliper.

The two examples you show are in the 18" line up in my first post, so I guess these must have accommodating spokes.

Just be careful about the bolt seating type. If the wheels are genuine audi they are almost certainly a radius seat (ball shape) whereas aftermarket alloys will almost certainly be tapered (cone shape). I cocked up on that one and had to wait a week for new bolts.
Concur. We bought OZ wheels. The OZ rep stressed the wheels came with OZ bolts, and to ensure they were used, not the OEM bolts.

I was going to order 5mm spacers but when I went to order them the seller asked what car were they going on and said the minimum recommended thickness for an S4 was 12mm. This is because the lip you sit the wheel on isn't very thick and a 5mm spacer would mean there was nothing for the wheel to sit on. Getting the wheel mounted on the wheel would be a complete ballache.

With the 12mm spacers it replicated the little spigot (not sure of the right term) for the wheel to sit on so was easy to mount.

Whatever you do get the right size of bolt! - standard length is 27 or 28mm so add the thickness of the spacer on.

Having a job trying to get wheel info off the dealer (Chelmsford Audi). They won’t tell me the part numbers of the wheels in the top of first photo due to “company policy”. They won’t refer my tech questions back to Audi UK or Audi Germany “our franchise has no contact with HQ”.

They want to sell me a set of 18” wheels (top left of first photo) for £3,060 “no discount on wheels” but won’t tell me the part number or ET prior to purchase.

The stealer is generally unhelpful in trying to sort this for me.

£3,600?! I got quoted £1,700 for a set of four 18" wheels and winter tyres from my local garage. They had the prices all printed out and ready to quote so your dealer is well and truly taking the pi$$.