Would you use a local handwash outfit? (New baby!)

The Cardinal

For the love of cars
Reaction score
We've just had our baby daughter (she's sleeping in front of me as I write!) and I doubt that I'll get to do much basic car washing in the coming months - let alone proper waxing, detailing etc. I do like to have the car looking good though, so I don't want to let standards slip too much.

Don't worry: I fully intend to have the car properly detailed once every six months by a professional! :thumbsup: In the meantime, I was considering getting the car washed as and when I can by one of the local car handwashing outfits that seem to have multiplied near to our house. You know - those fiver a go type ones.

Do you think I should do this, or are they all total inexperts who will definitely scratch the car's paintwork?! :huh:

Last edited:
I'd stay well clear mate tbh. Even If you can only find 10 mins on a Sunday afternoon to give it a quick once over, you'll be saving your paintwork from a lot of damage. These places tend to use the same manky sponge for paint, wheels and whatever else they come across, and said sponges have prob been dropped on the floor numerous times.

Ryan

Hmm - a resounding "no" then! On reflection, I agree.

I've found what look like some good local choices for what I'd call "serious" car body care (e.g. Joe's Detailing, Bristol) - but I was really looking for something quick and easy locally.

Oh, and congrats on the new addition!!

Definitely don't use them mate. I would take 10 minutes just to jet wash it once a week either with your own or at the local garage, that will get rid of the worst of the road grime and salt.

If a car is well detailed and well protected with good quality products then I wouldn't worry about letting standards slip. At present, my car gets washed once every 3-6 months, and fully detailed at the same time. In between I do nothing at all, and while it looks a state, when the time comes round to sort it out a very careful wash reveals perfect unblemished paint beneath. In my world this is far more preferable to a risky quick wash every now and again. At some point in the future it would be nice to resume a two weekly washing routine, but right now we are waaaayyyyy too busy! :icon_thumright:

^^^^

That's very good to hear - I should have thought to ask that.

In that case, I'll giving it minimal washing and let some experts give it the once over every so often.

I should have also mentioned that the car doesn't get used much during the week, as I don't use it to commute and my wife will only be trundling around locally in it. Hopefully it won't get much in the way of salt etc over the winter as a result.

Talk to N8 on here, he's a bristol lad originally & details cars, he'd happily drop down to you I should think & detail your car whenever you want, does a very good job aswell

Just to add, apart from a big fat NO.. I did see one of the muppets in the local tesco car park drop his chamy on the concrete, then pick it up and continue using it..
As WX51TXR, mine only gets washed now every couple of months and still looks as good when washed and detailed..

if it makes you feel any better...i have three kids (4 month old, 3 year old and a six year old) and still manage to find time to keep my car looking clean and shiny

you will be surprised how much you can get done when you know time is precious :)

pop the baby in the pram thing, get it out in the open air and get washing.

I wont use them because they are usually illegal immigrants getting paid £2 an hour. The ones local to me works their bums off though, seen 1 guy per alloy with toothbrushes! ideal for multispokes!

I know having kids strips you of sleep, time and funds etc......BUT HAVE YOU GONE COMPLETELY MAD??????????????
A fiver a go wash............. would not let them clean my wheel barrow let alone my motor lol.
STAY WELL CLEAR MATE!!!!!!!

Yeah i used to use them, but after getting the detailing bug and trying to correct what they done to my paintwork i would never use them or an electric car wash ever again. As somone said above its like a sandblasting job!