would you swap s3 for mk2 golf 1.8t??? hmmm

JUS3IN

14.0 @ 98mph 2s 60ft
Reaction score
hey all, ive been offered a possible deal (nothing in stone yet) for the s3 its an r-tec mapped mk2 golf gti 16v with an agu ko3s setup at 245bhp.... my spec is in my signature... hmmm i am very tempted as i love my retro cars and years i had a mk2 gti with the 2.0l 16v (from a seat cordoba) and loved it... missus has a car now for the baby and she said do it as she likes it...

not asking for service questions ect, on the whole assuming its healthy (i will vcds it before a deal) what are your opinions? the golf will be quicker im sure? i love their handling but on the same note the s3 i find awesome.... golf has the eggshell vr6 leather inside but wont be anywhere near as nice a place to be as the s3.... am i too old for a coilovered mk2 at 31 lol? ... help!?

jardo tell me fwd is best and its all about the power lol!

53dfadac74f0f_1.jpg

52c0919902bd9_1.jpg

NO WAY, you cannot be serious...

I just wish I could get ALL of my RS3 bits into that 3-door S3 of yours - what a stunning motor car...

This was mine (pre RS3), and 3-years now with an RS3 and I do miss it so:

MyS32_zps19c18e96.jpg

Reactions: kwistof and S3 Rav
If you really wanted it would you be asking the ????. Stick with the s3.

No no no no... No!

Been in many 1.8T mk2's, they make good track cars but are no where near as nice to like with as an S3.
All the guys I used to know with them have now moved on to S3's, R32's etc. backwards step IMHO.

They are also death traps if you have a prang in one, almost lost a mate who lost his at around 50 mph.

lol, seems like a resounding no then!-) im sure some yes' will come along soon... maybe?

im at about 85% on doing the deal atm, i think i will miss the s3 though as we've grown quite attached! personally i find the 8l a little 'not new enough, not old enough' if you know what i mean? my next car will either be an 8p s3, a mk1 golf 2l 16v... my last car was a mk1 vr6 cabby!-)

Cleangolf048 1IMG00474 20110317 1748

cage it and rag the nuts off it round a track, I've had a ko4 fwd mk2 20v and that was rapid, going 4wd for the next one though

Keep your Mk1 S3 mate and get it mapped properly ;)

or get the mk2 and go faster and enjoy the drive more

Reactions: Prawn
lol, the mk2 is way prettier imo!-) mk2 is a proper toy and dont you love surprising all them yuppys in their 330i's, my mk1 golf was so much fun for that, no-one suspects the brown mk1 caddy haha...

the s3 is still awesome in its own right mind.

S3's are everywhere and whilst an ok car are not exactly special, a decent looking 20v mk2 is awesome, but then I'm bit of a mk2 fan

I spent 3 months building a perfect 203hp g60 mk2. It was amazing, respray, full leather, audi door handles etc and it was savage. Then I bought the s3 and ended up using the g60 as a workbench. Then I sold it. No regrets :)

given the choice over an S3 or a Mk2 20v, if it was my only car and used daily id have the S3, if it were a second or just a fun / weekend car mk2 all day

S3's are everywhere and whilst an ok car are not exactly special, a decent looking 20v mk2 is awesome, but then I'm bit of a mk2 fan

they get under your skin dont they... i think 4wd might ruin one? not been in a rallye but i assume as different as s3/a3?

ive had a few mk2's and just love them, never been in a 4wd either but hasn't stopped me building one, but my last mk2 was running 280 ish bhp and fwd and a lot of that power was just ripping the tyres apart (no diff though) so i always said the next one would be 4wd, one of the problems also with my stripped and caged mk2 was it was very light at the back, so having a touch more weight there can't be a bad thing really and ill be able to use all the power all the time wet or dry

I'd do it, get it out your system, if needs must then sell the mk2 and get another S3, they are sensible money now!

Tbf the mk2 is probably worth more anyhow, older cars are getting silly expensive lately! If its as clean as it looks I think its a go... its aubergine too which is nice.

Major Mk2 fan here, I wishes my Mk2 16v had 245bhp! Still fun with KR 16v power though, a feel good factor that an S3 will never have, but I'm a bit older than you, and I'd still stick with my S3 over the Mk2, but I'm lucky enough to own both.

Reactions: Nilz
Even though i always loved them, I would not swap for a mk1/mk2 gti regardless of tune (vr6/1.8t) i would however swap my S3 for a golf rallye...

YES, all day long for me

you can't really compare the two cars, both from very different era's, and completely different beasts. As much as an S3 is nice, it doesn't in any way shape or form have the magic of a MK2.

Put it this way, if I see an S3 driving down the road, It doesn't get a second look, if I see a MK2, of any guise it always gets a second look, rare cars and with the added addition of a 1.8T would be a weapon on the road.

Ask yourself this, which one would you like to see sitting on your driveway each morning? I think you know the answer to that....

I like both and have often thought the same thing, I have been looking at VR6 Mk2s though, however as already mentioned, I think the Mk2 would only suffice as a 2nd car now after owning an S3.

I like both and have often thought the same thing, I have been looking at VR6 Mk2s though, however as already mentioned, I think the Mk2 would only suffice as a 2nd car now after owning an S3.

a charged MK2 VR6....oh yes please

Reactions: Nilz
YES, all day long for me

you can't really compare the two cars, both from very different era's, and completely different beasts. As much as an S3 is nice, it doesn't in any way shape or form have the magic of a MK2.

Put it this way, if I see an S3 driving down the road, It doesn't get a second look, if I see a MK2, of any guise it always gets a second look, rare cars and with the added addition of a 1.8T would be a weapon on the road.

Ask yourself this, which one would you like to see sitting on your driveway each morning? I think you know the answer to that....

Sorry but this cant be taken seriously !!

A wheelie bin owner, of course they will pick the MK2 lol

IMHO, Mk2's are beautifull, cried when i sold mine, but the S3 are on of a kind, you can do so much for so little, whrre as the golfs are starting to get stupid money for what? A 20 year old golf at the of the day.
If it was pure factory, untouched then yes!!

Sorry but this cant be taken seriously !!

the S3 are on of a kind, you can do so much for so little, !

one of a kind - eh? so much for so little, please explain how little over 300hp costs then?

one of a kind - eh? so much for so little, please explain how little over 300hp costs then?

Sorry I meant compared to the money you will spend on a Mk2

& i am sure if you do find a cheap way of getting a S3 above 300bhp, i am sure we would all be happy to hear it !!

dont agree mate, why would a 20v mk2 cost any more than an S3? this guy is offered a swap so they are clearly comparable and tuning one will be the same as the other, bit confused

yeah thats a more understandable response...............

lol, if we are talking lightly modified then a cheap mk2 20v turbo is 3k, a good one is 4-5k a cheap s3 is 2k a good one 3.5k? thats how i see the prices atm? add to that mk2's a rare as hell and take the market into account i guess... depends who wants one at the time.