Would you buy a Cat D motor?

R

Reedswood

Used to have a Honda SMX, but the wife caught a corner :wacko: in a Tesco car park, and damaged the whole passenger side :sos:, and as a result, the Insurer wrote it off :faint: and paid us handsomely! :rock:Thankfully, the wife was unhurt :yahoo:, but my pride and joy was gone for scrap :ohmy: OR...repaired, and sold again with a Cat D :busted_cop: label!

Would you buy a car with this 'dark' history?:blush: Of course, you can get them cheaper than the true market price, but...

I would dependant on the car, you obviously need to know the value of the car and the damage, if it was a decent car for say £2ish K, then you know that the damage may be debatable, but on a £20ish K car, if it was a cat D then you know the damage would be alot more, so its relative to the car and value etc...if that makes sense???

what about Insurer's...would they be reluctant to take the car on...or even charge you more?

Yes i would buy a CAT D id just want it checked over and call the insurance company who wrote it off to find out the damage etc.

When a car is written off, it has to go through a VIC before it can be on the road legally again, however with motorbikes funnily enough this isn't required so any half assed job can be done, bolts hanging loose, damaged frame/forks and you're legally able to ride it on the road...though the VIC does not check for quality of repair or anything, its just to make sure its not a cut and shut etc...

I've bought written off cars before, without a second thought. It doesen't bother me so long as the repair job is done good! I've bought a Cat C motorbike before which was written off purely for a few cosmetic scratches on the fairings etc...bought a Mini Cooper Cat C which was pretty badly hit in the front and a BMW 318 CI Convertible Cat C which was hit on the side...never leaked a drop of water inside the car and could never tell it had been repaired unless you looked REALLY closely at the paintwork on the door. . . whats the big fuss about?

You can pick write off's for a steal and drive them till death do you part....

cat d's don't need a vic as it should be cosmetic damage, and a vic is not a guarantee of quality work anyway it just checks its not been ringed, they dont even need a fresh mot

my a4 is a cat d, best purchase i ever made but it was fixed up as cheaply as possible so i ended up replacing the panels used to repair it

insurance doesn't cost anymore but they'd pay out less if anything happens to it

if parts are easily available and you know its a good car then it would be worth buying back to fix and keep but not sure if you'd make a lot selling it

Defo, im happy in both cat c and d cars

As said if repairs are done well enough im usually happy

Current car is a cat d write off,,

Most of the time i buy them damaged and fix them myself, so i know its done to my own standards, have seen some shocking repairs before

I'd consider a Cat D. Definitely theft recovered car too. I think Phil's 8P2.99 S3 is an inspiration too.

I'm too much of a whimp for a Cat C tho

Defo, im happy in both cat c and d cars

As said if repairs are done well enough im usually happy

Current car is a cat d write off,,

Most of the time i buy them damaged and fix them myself, so i know its done to my own standards, have seen some shocking repairs before

That's the thing with Cat C/D cars, it's a bit of a hit and miss with the quality of repairs and what type of damage the car has sustained before. If you are able to fix them yourself or know the history of the car in the first instance, then yes, why not. But to physically buy a Cat C/D car from say pistonheads based on what's written in the ad, I void have to say no I'm afraid.

That's the thing with Cat C/D cars, it's a bit of a hit and miss with the quality of repairs and what type of damage the car has sustained before. If you are able to fix them yourself or know the history of the car in the first instance, then yes, why not. But to physically buy a Cat C/D car from say pistonheads based on what's written in the ad, I void have to say no I'm afraid.

+1