Would the plane take off?

OutLore said:
Having said that - why dont they use conveyor belts on aircraft carriers?

Because we "the british" invented this baby..
riatpic.jpg

AND this one...
2006_4_35.jpg

We don't need no silly reversing conveyer belts, like some sort of ****** up tescos till in reverse! hehe

In the second picture are they all raising cups of tea ?

2006_4_35.jpg

I think the guy standing in the middle is like:
"Ok Lads one conker going in the launch catapult!"

A4Quattro said:
Because we "the british" invented this baby..

AND this one...

We don't need no silly reversing conveyer belts, like some sort of ****** up tescos till in reverse! hehe

LOL... I know we invented them, but have you ever tried to land a Harrier on a moving carrier?

Also - the catapult only works for take-offs... you have to rely on 4 elastic bands for landing, not an exact art either!!!

If they had a conveyor in reverse, according to all those who think the plane wont take off, you will be able to land on the conveyor belt and the plane will simply stop. Then all you have to do is to slow the conveyor belt down and bob's your uncle....

haha

I thought I proved this off good and proper. Who's still argueing about it?

You crazy fools!

Hey ScoTTy - you did prove it, for sure.
P.S. any idea when you're going to be moving on to a new motor? I'd love to be in the queue for potential purchasers...! That Miltek sounds sweet and its got to be one of the very best maintained!

robthehungrymonkey said:
no, no matter how fast the "runway" is moving, the air won't be flowing over the wing fast enough to generate the required lift. but...

with the engines on, the plane would be going forwards at the same rate as it would be with a static runway, with only the added drag from the wheels moving twice as fast. So it would take off.

I think!
No the plane will not take off without the pressure difference above/below the wing due to airflow.
Tell you what though that runway would be very handy for testing out your top speed wouldnt it?