Would the plane take off?

serious fault in that post, how can you 'hit' infinity as by definition there is no set point for infinity /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
serious fault in that post, how can you 'hit' infinity as by definition there is no set point for infinity /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say an end point, I just said infinity. The wheel and conveyor would enter that point where there is no end point.... :)

[ QUOTE ]
Actually I was wrong in my last post. The plane's wheels and the conveyor would instantly hit infinity if I tried to move the aircraft by pushing against an immovable object. In other words the aircraft has also become an immovable object!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. I was one of the people really going on about the plane flying, but I was wrong (sort of).

The plane cannot move at all. By definition of the question. It's just a big impossible mess. You can't use real world physics at all.

If you think of the wheel as a cog on the conveyor, if the cog moves forward it HAS to travel faster than the conveyor, i repeat HAS to. According to the question this won't happen as the belt will move the same speed as the wheel instantly (this is the fundamental problem in the question). The fact the thrust from the planes engines will move the plane forward contradicts this, and would overcome the wheel by either breaking them off or them skidding.

[ QUOTE ]
Audi5e, re the air "giving" not important, its the engine throwing air out the back, its the same effect as recoil on a machine gun, but instead of a load of bullets its ejecting loads of air particles going really fast,
Or in momemtum speak, its gives the air a momentum in a negative direction (backwards) so the plane gains momentum in a positive direction, it moves slower than the air going out the back due to its greater mass.
Chas (Now back at school after 3 weeks browsing forums!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Chas, this was my original argument, but the fact the wheels can't move faster means the plane can't move. Which I know is contradicted by the thrust etc...

Right, now anyone understand my points?

At last, so can it fly TDI or not, yes or no will surfice as i fall asleep reading the other posts

Why is this thread still open?
I said on about the 5th post that this would happen, but did anyone listen? Noooo.

Close, close, close, close

TDI cheers mate, hurray hurray its a holii holii day theres lots of fun for everyone holi holi day.

In the meantime, the cabin crew have got fed up waiting to know if they're cleared for take-off and have all gone on strike, and the pilot has taken early retirement.

i seem to be the only person who hasnt posted on this tread so here you are, dont know what the fuss is about its not that exciting

No really, we really do need to close this thread down for all that is holy and good.

Yes please close this thread ........i am losing the will to live...........

oooooo, this is the first i've seen of this, and I can't be bothered to read all 12 pages so here is what my enormous MENSA intellect says.

If the speed of the conveyor belt is sufficient to render the aircraft still in a geo-stationary 'plane' then there is no airflow UNDER the wings of the plane, (other than the very small draft caused by the movement of the belt) i.e. there is no lift, i.e. it's big fat metallic *** will not leave the ground.

THE END

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....................Game Over!!!

[ QUOTE ]
oooooo, this is the first i've seen of this, and I can't be bothered to read all 12 pages so here is what my enormous MENSA intellect says.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm writing a 'strongly worded' letter of complaint to MENSA................. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

im with you jpo - and please

THE PLANE WILL TAKE OFF

This thread closed now? please? please?

But surely it depends on the weight off the plane,
Happy Easter you plane crazy loons im going up the pub Hurray for 24hr drinking

puhleeeze....

audisport.gif

[ QUOTE ]
puhleeeze....

audisport.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha I like it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

But will it take off??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Just to prolong the agony.....

If a plane was flying normally and then it landed on one of these conveyor belts, are the people that say it wouldn't fly also gonna claim it will instantly come to a halt?

Nice one ScoTTy!! couldnt agree more..

now leave it alone and go to bed.

[ QUOTE ]
puhleeeze....

audisport.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That is brilliant, CMS! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

Scotty.. after looking closely at the belt for a couple of hours on your detailed animated built to scale fully working model....

The belt does appear to start in the correct direction, but appears to fire the aircraft off the end of it, somehow looking like the belt rotation reverses mid take-off.......

Top job though....if anyone works for the tellybox people and can get an announcement on BBC News 24 that the topic is closed, that may actually finally kill it off...

[ QUOTE ]
Scotty.. after looking closely at the belt for a couple of hours on your detailed animated

[/ QUOTE ]

It's nought to do with me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

so, Ive completely forgotten what we were talking about..

one of your rellies tdi?

[ QUOTE ]
Might as well make it more interesting now.

Beamer-Girl-24.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Shes sat on a beemer, what a trollop!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif