Would I be a fool to get a manual?

Aceshigh1993

Reaction score
Some may say that those who love manuals are purists, while others will say they're idiots.

I'm absolutely in love with the Audi A4 (Looking to get a relatively new one but not brand new), but i'm also in love with manual cars.

I've always thoroughly enjoyed driving, and manual cars enhance the experience exponentially for me.

Would i be a fool to get a manual? Obviously the majority of the sales are automatics, so i feel like im missing something here.

Any die hard manual fans who felt the same as me once?

Would i be a fool to get a manual ? YES !
I totally get your dilemma - i always thought that an auto would make me feel less connected to the car, less involved in the whole driving experience. But after 20 years and 7 different Audi models, i got my first auto a month ago (2021 S3). Total game changer. It may have taken me a week or 2 to get used to the power of the S3 but after only a day i was smitten with the auto. Definitely see the benefits in stop start traffic.
But hey, the A4 is a pretty impressive motor either way, so is either transmission really a bad choice ?

My Last car Type-r, manual and loved it, but i dont miss the crunch of gears going into 2nd if i shifted to quick... But having moved to the auto i am loving it, faster changes smoother changes, and far easier in slow stop start traffic.

Have a drive in a 7 speed auto, not the 6 speed one. You still have the paddles to go manual if you want some engagement or to kick down to where you want, instead of the slight hesitancy you may feel letting the box do it all for you. Depends on your driving style, trust in the gearbox logic and driving pattern. I can’t think of any situation where a manual makes sense over a 7 speed box

Some may say that those who love manuals are purists, while others will say they're idiots.

I'm absolutely in love with the Audi A4 (Looking to get a relatively new one but not brand new), but i'm also in love with manual cars.

I've always thoroughly enjoyed driving, and manual cars enhance the experience exponentially for me.

Would i be a fool to get a manual? Obviously the majority of the sales are automatics, so i feel like im missing something here.

Any die hard manual fans who felt the same as me once?

Go Auto. We've 6-speed DSG (TT), 7-speed DSG (RS3), and 8-speed auto (SQ5) each with paddle shift/sequential on the gear stick and for sure manual-mode is for us just as pleasing/rewarding/satisfying as with a manual box - plus: the gear changes are way quicker and that left leg/foot is resting... Oh, and in manual-mode the gears will usually change 'down' anyway as in coming to a road traffic stop-junction, just gotta remember to paddle 'UP' the changes. And then, plus plus plus; when you want a less enthusiastic drive you've full auto anyway. What's not to prefer?
History: manual-gearbox 1963 to 2011 and from 2011 always 'auto' and will be should I ever change again :racer:

Would never ever go manual again, clutch down, changing gear hundreds of times a day, dont miss that at all, much more relaxing to drive, paddles add extra control, its a no brainer & autos these days are wonderful boxes mostly.

Reactions: 45bvtc
I'm of the view that the day I cannot have a manual car anymore will be the day I give up driving. Autos just infuriate me.

Reactions: daytonamart
It's all down to personal preference, drive both choose for yourself.

For me, having an auto is more convenient for every day driving, to town, work, in traffic etc.

But if I'm going for a nice country drive to enjoy the car and do some 'spirited' driving, that's where I miss having a manual box.

I always enjoy a drive in a manual car after long periods of having driven an auto.

The gearbox in my GTR is auto excellent - never gets in the way of a spirited drive as the paddles are super responsive. And then if I choose I can dawdle around and not think about it.

I purposely bought a manual S4 “because I love a manual gearbox” and tbh really regret it!

Have you ever driven a good auto - ie a proper dual clutch trans?
I've driven a few modern autos through work but to be fair, no Audi cars. As for what tech they have, I'm not certain but I've noticed 7 speed and 8 speed when flicking up the paddles. It's not the actual shift speed that's the problem as they do that very quickly but the transition from rolling to acceleration is often much slower than can be achieved in a manual.

I have a foot in both camps. My "fun" car for enjoying the back roads and, hopefully in the future, the occasional track day is my manual S1. I also have an E Class convertible which is an auto and a great car for long trips and holidays. I have only used the paddles on the 7 speed auto 3 times in 8 years of ownership, and even then only for a couple of minutes. There's simply no engagement for me. Would it be different in a sportier car? Possibly, but I think I'd still prefer a manual for fun.
I do appreciate the auto when in heavy traffic, or on a long journey when I'm tired and just want to "get there", but as far as the paddles go it's all a bit "Meh".

If you love slotting in that ‘stick, when you‘ve got pulses racing, then that intangible satisfaction is hard to get from an auto.
You really do have to have a drive in an auto car along the same stretch of road and compare with your current manual.
Can you see yourself letting your left hand & foot do less work?
It’s also about letting go of the control element. Muscle memory will still have your hand floating around the gearstick thinking it’s useful

A very subjective question, and everyone will have their own opinion about what is right for them. For me, having control over which gear to select and when is great, but the idea that I should have to stamp my foot on a pedal and move a stick every time I do is absurd. It's one of the the last remaining relics of Victorian engineering, and reminiscent of signal boxes with manual levers to move the points at railway junctions. So DSG or auto with Tiptronic all way the way for me. :)

Reactions: LesleyG
I grew up as a diehard manual fan, until I was aged around 42/43 and moved to London for work, and started to experienced London traffic on a daily basis.
At that point I purchased an automatic A6 Quattro, and other than a short business lease on an A3, have been automatic ever since.
Todays modern boxes are nothing like automatics of old - I once drove a mates DAF Variomatic back in the day remember those :blink:

My current S7 (modified) puts down 560 BHP, and the gearbox copes with the power and changes faster that I could on a manual - and with that amount of power and 0-60 time, you really want to keep both hands on the wheel - or flappy paddles if your feeling brave.

Automatics are no longer seen as an "old mans" gearbox.
So no going back for me, even if I am now old :racer:

Reactions: jdp1962