Worst decision in history: New Impreza

Gilly

Reaction score
After seeing this toss mobile, i am starting to think their is someone within Subaru's design team trying to sabotage the company.

As if the 2002 bug eyed monstrosity wasnt bad enough, they have now gone and ruined a great car by making it look like this...

I couldn't decide between pile of crap and what were they thinking but eventually the latter was my choice.
Its awful

when i was looking for my tt i thought i would try an imprezza, but dismissed it on the interior as it ws cheap and tacky especially in a £21k car. i'm so glad i didn't wait for this one, it looks like a pretty unforgetable hatch back that is pretty ugly. indeed what were they thinking ????

i got sent an invitation to drive the wrx, and told to get in quick as they are only importing 500 this year. i wonder if they will sell them all ??

Impreza's has never been about the looks, more about performance and ability, and no doubt, the STI version is going to be an A to B performance car as they all are. Still prefer the saloon style body of the old and classic models though...

Never been a fan of the Impreza. Most drivers seem to think they have an all conquering supercar. Last one looked like a Seat Leon/Subaru ******* love child and this new one just looks like an Astra/Mazda 3 cross. Sad thing is I think Mitsubishi are following the trend with the new Evo :(

My wife scalped one in our FRST. Drivers face was a picture when he realised he'd not only been shown a clean set of wheels by of all things a 16 year old Ford Fiesta but it was a woman as well that had done it to him. Think he went home to lick some wounds after that :icon_thumright:

The rear tinted windows make it look like a cut'n'shut...

Gutted i was kinda looking forward to the new impreza as the 1999 turbo i had was really good to me and lots of fun to drive!!

That one looks well pony, it looks more like a Daewoo than a sporty WRX scooby. Bring back the aggressive styling and massive foglights.

It's one ugly looking Impreza. But i did hear that Subaru wanted to get away from the boyracer looks'. BUT THATS JUST PLAIN AWFULL.

who's going to admit to being the person who voted it to be better than the old model?

I assume it is some sort of joke, either that or their is a Scooby fan with very poor vision lurking in the forum.

It looks like a Proton/Daewoo for christ sake !!!

Well after seeing that picture i now know what it would look like if i cut an shut a daewoo with a 1 series beemer an stuck a huge bonnet scoop on.

Well after having three Subaru's over the past 8 years - have to say the looks of this new one is another reason why I will not be buying this latest model, that and the silly road tax they want to charge you these days.
The STI does look a bit better but still very bland ! and I want some thing different !
Oranoco's views are a bit blinkered in my eyes - for the money not much can touch a Subaru or a Mitso’s pace / cross country ability or for it ability to embarrass most much more expensive cars.
Scalped one in a 16 year old fiesta – in fuel consumption – yes more than likely !
Yes they are some prats that drive Subaru's / Mitso's (especially the classic cars as they are getting cheep now !) - but get the same everyday with every car make.
Audi’s are certainly no exception - especially those driving the diesel variants that insist on sitting 1" from your bumper on the motorway and insist on barging into an non exsisting space in a clould of black smoke !

Richard

rsarjantson said:
Oranoco's views are a bit blinkered in my eyes - for the money not much can touch a Subaru or a Mitso’s pace / cross country ability or for it ability to embarrass most much more expensive cars.
Scalped one in a 16 year old fiesta – in fuel consumption – yes more than likely !

Not sure why you consider my opinion blinkered. I've got friends who own Evo's and Impreza's I have great respect for the cars. In fact I'm very fond of the Evo and am fully intending on looking seriously at one when the current A4 runabout is sold on.

And no I mean scalped as in beat on the move. I'm more than aware that had corners been involved we wouldn't have stood a chance but a 207bhp Fiesta doesn't suffer near the transmission losses of the Subaru's 4x4 and it also weighs a lot less. Simple power to weight. Typical UK car produces 215bhp (varying on model I'm well aware) and weighs 1235kg giving a power to weight ratio of 174bhp per ton. My Fiesta was making 207bhp and weighs 913kg which gives a power to weight ratio of 226bhp per ton.

Seems the blinkers may not be where you thought after all. Never underestimate what the other guy has as it can lead to tears.

Randomjim said:
Well after seeing that picture i now know what it would look like if i cut an shut a daewoo with a 1 series beemer an stuck a huge bonnet scoop on.

Absolutely on the button looks *****.

Oranoco said:
Not sure why you consider my opinion blinkered. I've got friends who own Evo's and Impreza's I have great respect for the cars. In fact I'm very fond of the Evo and am fully intending on looking seriously at one when the current A4 runabout is sold on.

And no I mean scalped as in beat on the move. I'm more than aware that had corners been involved we wouldn't have stood a chance but a 207bhp Fiesta doesn't suffer near the transmission losses of the Subaru's 4x4 and it also weighs a lot less. Simple power to weight. Typical UK car produces 215bhp (varying on model I'm well aware) and weighs 1235kg giving a power to weight ratio of 174bhp per ton. My Fiesta was making 207bhp and weighs 913kg which gives a power to weight ratio of 226bhp per ton.

Seems the blinkers may not be where you thought after all. Never underestimate what the other guy has as it can lead to tears.

I've got to admit, reading your original thread, it was a chav like response 'RS Turbo has Subaru for breakfast', but you never mentioned the fact that your Fiesta RS is a modified car in the first instance!
Much more clear now of course, but I bet it your Fiesta struggles to put it's power down under full boost, especially in the wet ha ha. :respekt:

lol.

In all fairness once on the move it's pretty tractable despite not having the LSD my other weekend Ford has. Off the line it's awfull but there are plans a foot to deal with that.

Can't comment on the wet as it's never been driven in the rain while I've had it.

Can't say i have really driven one.. but.. haha.. i was playing the new gran turismo on ps3 and it seemed quite good.. but not as good as the evo 10 on there..

And so far as looks are concerned neither this or the evo are lookers. but the evo looks aggressive, and i think in an attempt to dull down the scooby. they have gone too far and designed a focus. which is worse looking. though the sti doesnt look that bad.. the flared arches and the spoiler even the bubbly shapes out a little..
news.jpg

Oranoco - fair point about never underestimating what the other person has but have to agree with JoJo's commet it does read very much of a chav like response of my 16 year old fiesta beat a Subaru !!! hence the comment !
But it would be very boring if we all had the same point of view !
Believe me a few people have been very embarresed in thinking mine is a standard wrx and them finding out its not !!
But as I'm fed up with the likes of your comment and every idiot in a car wanting to race you I'm after something a bit more subtle now - hence the S3 !

Richard

How do you mean fed up with the likes of my comment?

Don't see why you think it was a chav like response at all. My wife was driving and she dispensed with a stereotypical Impreza driver after he instigated things. The Subaru has far more chav appeal than a 16 year old Ford. Lost count of the number of times we've parked up in my friends Subarus and had the kids making comments of "Dat iz phat man" etc. Most chavs probably don't even know what a Fiesta RS Turbo is.

There are many Impreza owners that buy the cars as they like them and enjoy them. Which is fine as the world would be very boring if we all liked the same stuff. Saddly there are an awfull lot of owners who beleive they have the fastest thing going and nothing should be quicker (not just Scoob owners, most marques suffer with these people).

Anyway I didn't post to offend, upset or get anyones back up. I posted as it happened and thought I would share that. I stand by that.

..Most chavs don't know what a fiesta RS turbo is..?

Most chavs i know drive them.. and love to just sit there and rev up to let everyone know they have a dump valve.. :|

Actually you will find the majority of cars don't have them. Being in the RSOC I deal with dozens of the cars and it's very much the minority of cars that run them.

Anyway this topic is in danger of going very off topic so perhaps it should be left alone

The New Impreza WRX. It sticks to the road.

the forgot to add

"like a pile of $hit"

I used to have as 99 plate UK Turbo & I loved every second of it. Ok the interior wasn't that great to look at but when i'm hammering round corners etc I think it's better to be looking at the road.

I can kinda ignore not so good interiors if the performance is good & the car looks good from the outside, which to me most Scoobies do, altho they seem to be getting slowly worse.

This is def the worst so far!! No way on earth would I buy a WRX. I'd have to get the STi.

When the released the bugeye it had a hell of a lot to live up to with the rep the classic shape had built. Again, all the bugeye models, even the WRX looked a sack of sh*te!! The STi looked 10 times better with the smoked headlamps or Prodrive lamp kit, better alloys, better styling, better interior, better engine etc etc etc ;)

I think Evo's started to go t*ts up also. I love the 5 & 6, 7 is crap, 8 is slightly better but they really brought it back in my eyes with the 9. Made it look more aggressive again which to me is what Evo's were all about in the 1st place, aswell as A/B road bashin:rockwoot:

Then they bring the 10 out!! WTF!! Looks like an Alfa or something equally crap!! RUINED!!

Craig :cool:

Almost agreed with everything you said there Craig until you referred to Alfa's as Crap

On what grounds are Alfa's Crap ?

Time will tell but in this day and age, no-one should need to drive a car that looks that bad. Shockingly average.

But for the huge TMIC scoop it doesnt look at all like a performance car. Id sooner admit to having genital herpes than having one of them!
As for the FRST comments my mate (who now has an S3) had one, and it was rapido! Was mag featured and was putting out 200bhp.

Gilly said:
Almost agreed with everything you said there Craig until you referred to Alfa's as Crap

On what grounds are Alfa's Crap ?

Reliabilty mainly. Everybody I know has had nowt but bother with them. Ok so there's a a few models that look ok & prob don't perform too bad but Alfa is something i'd never buy.

Most people I know that have had them got seriosuly f*cked off with them breaking down. I'm not just talking about cars a more than a few yrs old but 6 month old models etc.

In fact, the 5 or 6 people or so that I can think of all drive German cars now, either BMW, Audi. Oh & a SEAT.

Reliabilty is a big factor for me. I live 14 miles from work, ok, so that's not a huge distance but cos of where I live & the times my shifts start/finish totally buggers me up for public transport. In the past when I have had car problems i've had to cycle to work for a couple of days

Craig :cool:

we've had alfa's in our family well.. before i was born.. so 19years at least! still yet to fault their reliability.! oh saying that a bulb went on one of the sidelights the other week. and imo so long as it gives you that little uncontrollable smile on your face i'd buy it. brilliant case an example is the 156 gta, my father has one of these it sounds fantastic, it drives beautifully, out does both of those last factors in looks inside and out. oh and that car is about 4 of 5 years old now. still running wonderfully with 95k on the clock..

What the hell have they done to it ??
I have never been a scooby fan and i know someone who as the RB7 which i must admit i do like.
But that is shocking and EVO's always come out on top in my opinion.

Saw one of these in the showroom down the road... looks even worse in the flesh!

View Poll Results: New Impreza..A good design ? Better designed than the old model
bar2-l.gif
bar2.gif
bar2-r.gif
12.22%Like them both as much
bar3-l.gif
bar3.gif
bar3-r.gif
24.44%What were subaru thinking
bar4-l.gif
bar4.gif
bar4-r.gif
2146.67%Shockingly bad pile of Cr*p
bar5-l.gif
bar5.gif
bar5-r.gif
2146.67%Voters: 45. You have already voted on this pollwho is this one person who thinks its a better design..........????????confused by your definition of better!!!! looks like a armchair on wheels aka kia carens..yuk!!

The STi was reviewed in Auto express last week, and it seems to be no where near as bad as the WRX-

Good attempt by Subaru to polish a ****

That photo doesnt really do much justice to the car tbh.

I must admit I didnt really like the last gen Impreza, everything seemed far too out of proportion, massive wing on the back and tiny alloys, also they seem intent on keeping the Subaru tradition of having **** interiors. I think Subaru were in a no win situation, trying keep oldschool fans of the car happy yet move with the times.

If I was going to get one myself, a dark blue one with tinted windows and black alloys, now that would seriously be a wolf in sheeps clothing...