Worrying clutch noise any ideas?

RS3dan

Reaction score

Hi guys,

I wonder if any of you have any idea what might be the cause of the noise in the video (if it works!)..

Car is a 5spd manual and this whining noise exists when the clutch is down, but not when its in gear, doesn't do it at idle/neutral and the pitch is dependant on how fast the car is coasting essentially - can only hear it in first and second possibly faintly in third...

You can hear it best right at the beginning but the video isn't great, it sort of sounds like a piece of card in bike spokes!! Thinking a bearing of some kind maybe but I don't know much about clutch/gearboxes, hoping some of you do!

Appreciate any info!

Hi,

It may be the actual gears inside the gearbox so get it checked out. Yes it may be a bearing but it if making a noise,it needs to be replaced.

Hi,

It may be the actual gears inside the gearbox so get it checked out. Yes it may be a bearing but it if making a noise,it needs to be replaced.

Yes I had thought that at worst case scenario but since it doesn't do it when in drive I am hoping it's not within in actual gearbox as that will be expensive!!

Sound like it might be the flywheel, You should always start your car with the clutch disengaged to allow oil to circulate round the flywheel before re engaging again, probably sounds worst on start up but eases when driven for a bit.

Sound like it might be the flywheel, You should always start your car with the clutch disengaged to allow oil to circulate round the flywheel before re engaging again, probably sounds worst on start up but eases when driven for a bit.

Thanks, yes I do always start the car with the clutch disengaged more out of habit than anything, and you are right it is more audible just after start up..

Haven't managed to get it into a garage yet as they don't seem to work weekends anymore! But looking online it seems clutch/flywheel replacement will work out around the £4-500 mark, does that sound about right do you know?

Sound about right, are you going to modify the car? If yes then maybe upgrade the clutch and flywheel now?

Damn, not cheap haha! Nah not this one its a 1.6 to be honest I want rid of it and onto 2.0 Tfsi but obviously need this running first..

If the flywheel/clutch is failing is it best to not run it at all until it's fixed or is there little additional damage to be done other than it failing altogether at some point?

I would personally change asap as I wouldn't want the flywheel locking up and smashing the gearbox to pieces.

Ah.. Did not realise the potential outcome could be so catastrophic..! It will be going in this week but annoying since no garages seem to work weekends anymore and I need it to get to work - cheers for all the info!

Reactions: audismart
Ah.. Did not realise the potential outcome could be so catastrophic..! It will be going in this week but annoying since no garages seem to work weekends anymore and I need it to get to work - cheers for all the info!
Yeah no probs, I would like to be wrong and anyone to make me wrong on this one as I have never experienced this 1st hand.