Worried...

ilim

Reaction score
Alright peeps, just bought my new S3 and was wondering if the the engine in these are suppose to sound like desiel engines. Is the normal for the S3 engines??

I have a video but dnt know how to up load it...??

Yeah they do sound like a diesel engine,specially when they are new:blush:
Upload on youtube mate:sm4:

Ok, doing it now mate. the car has 10k on th clock...

Yes mate, its the high pressure fuel injectors on the fsi engines. if it doesnt make this sound then you should be worried.

I don't have an S3 but mine is a 2.0T (the second FSI engine I've had) and they both sound noisy/tappety. Totally normal.
From inside the cabin they sounded more "diesely".

Yes, I've been asked by a couple of times recently if mine is a diesel lol!!

Eh! Bought A3 DSG 2.0 FSI in July with 10k on the clock and the engine is silent. Maybe just a little engine noise for the first 100 yards then nothing. Why I cannot even hear it change gear.

Have to admit coming from a V6 I was surprised how agricultural the engine sounds in the S3, it is very diesel like in comparison!

Regular oil changes seem to help keep the noise down.

Chuffing heck mines not that noisy! Sounds more like a diesel than a diesel
I'd get that looked at tbh

I bet it sounds a lot worse in that video than it does in the flesh.
Whenever I've heard my car on video it always sounds at least 10 times as rattle'y as it does in person.

Glad I came across this thread, was starting to worry about mine too!
Thanks!

the new 140 dpf's are quiter imo. shocked an s3 sounds like that

@ Pinterovski, don't know why it's showing that I disliked your post m8, maybe down to my big fingers :uhm:

over rated heavy lump's the s3 is , diesel sound to. lmfao a tuned up golf would kill these heavy lump's i had one for about 3 week's and returned it to audi for a trade . all though the s3 is a small car its really heavy and i found its just useless ... it will be killed by other hot hatches and its way to small for a family , i wouldnt be surprised if audi fade them out tbh now they have a a1 ... good luck with selling them in two year's

Check the oil level is correct ie not too low. Mine gets louder when the oil is low and the 2.0tfsi engines are reknowned for drinking oil.

Last edited:
over rated heavy lump's the s3 is , diesel sound to. lmfao a tuned up golf would kill these heavy lump's i had one for about 3 week's and returned it to audi for a trade . all though the s3 is a small car its really heavy and i found its just useless ... it will be killed by other hot hatches and its way to small for a family , i wouldnt be surprised if audi fade them out tbh now they have a a1 ... good luck with selling them in two year's

Really?? You join up this month and this is your contribution??

The 'heavy lump' 2.0 TFSI engine thats in the S3 is the same engine in the golf (aside from a different turbo etc, depending on which model of golf I might add) :eiertritt:

A "tuned up golf" as you put it is is now tuned vs stock, feel free to tune the S3 and then revisit that statement.

Weight difference between a Mk6 Golf Gti and a S3 is approx 135kg, mainly due to haldex system. Take a Golf R and its actually heavier (with the same engine yet again).

"Killed by other hot hatches" - I dont even know how to respond to that. What I will say is that each hot hatch has its merits and its downfalls. I can think of several hot hatches that would struggle to contend with an S3, additonally I can think of several which would return the exact opposite result in certain driving conditions. As an all rounder, I would consider the S3 to be one of the best, obviously a bias towards them, I bought one!

"i wouldnt be surprised if audi fade them out tbh now" - Yeah of course they will, because they're just not selling at all are they?? I mean the 8L didnt do very well either did it?? :wtf:

Last edited:
Reactions: Treat
Really?? You join up this month and this is your contribution??

The 'heavy lump' 2.0 TFSI engine thats in the S3 is the same engine in the golf (aside from a different turbo etc, depending on which model of golf I might add) :eiertritt:

A "tuned up golf" as you put it is is now tuned vs stock, feel free to tune the S3 and then revisit that statement.

Weight difference between a Mk6 Golf Gti and a S3 is approx 135kg, mainly due to haldex system. Take a Golf R and its actually heavier (with the same engine yet again).

"Killed by other hot hatches" - I dont even know how to respond to that. What I will say is that each hot hatch has its merits and its downfalls. I can think of several hot hatches that would struggle to contend with an S3, additonally I can think of several which would return the exact opposite result in certain driving conditions. As an all rounder, I would consider the S3 to be one of the best, obviously a bias towards them, I bought one!

"i wouldnt be surprised if audi fade them out tbh now" - Yeah of course they will, because they're just not selling at all are they?? I mean the 8L didnt do very well either did it?? :wtf:

Dont be butt hurt you spent so much on a lump , Also the golf is alot lighter than the s3 . A golf gti with ko4 tuned would murder it like an ed30 ... You have no clue , Like i said owned an S3 for a week and it was one heavy lump , handling was crap to BECAUSE THE WEIGHT WAS EQUAL TO A SHERMAN TANK .LMFAO :undwech: , There just to heavy , So i took it back .

I then went to vw and got an ed30 had it stage 3 tuned cat back etc and still had change , and it seriously kick's , it would murder a sherman lump i had the week earlier .. And as soon as they bring a hot version of the A1 out , the s3 is finished . GOOD DAY !! from a real driver , Write to top gear for advice you seem to lack it .:jump:

Wow! Yet another troll...

Reactions: Treat and RedDejavu
Lol@ the troll -giving us Ed30 owners a bad name much?

The noise is disappointing, my Golf is the same :(

A quid says a Sherman Tank would beat his Golf in a straight fight.

Dont be butt hurt you spent so much on a lump , Also the golf is alot lighter than the s3 . A golf gti with ko4 tuned would murder it like an ed30 ... You have no clue , Like i said owned an S3 for a week and it was one heavy lump , handling was crap to BECAUSE THE WEIGHT WAS EQUAL TO A SHERMAN TANK .LMFAO :undwech: , There just to heavy , So i took it back .

I then went to vw and got an ed30 had it stage 3 tuned cat back etc and still had change , and it seriously kick's , it would murder a sherman lump i had the week earlier .. And as soon as they bring a hot version of the A1 out , the s3 is finished . GOOD DAY !! from a real driver , Write to top gear for advice you seem to lack it .:jump:

I originally started writing my reply to you quoting stats and figures of each car to explain to you the weight difference / power to weight ratio's so that I could point out the error of your ways.

I then proceeded to explain the simple principles behind comparing a stage 3 tuned golf ED30 (which is very quick, a mate of mine actually owns one) against a standard S3, and that by tuning the S3 to the same standard would return different results.

Then I re-read your post and a few things became clear to me, so I deleted my original writings and thought I'd start with:

1. You are tool - nothing more need be said.

Everything you say is therefore moot, and thus you're not worth talking to. This can be futher witnessed by the comments after your post from other users who all consider you to be a troll.

You dont happen to own / are friends with someone who owns a A3 TDI which is capable racing / beating any car on the planet (aside from your imaginary ED30) down motorway slip roads do you? - Perhaps the diesel is your second car?

Good Day indeed - from just a 'Driver', I generally don't have the need to tell people that I'm 'Real', generally its quite evident.

Oh, just on a side note. You bought an S3 and drove it for a week. Then decided it was rubbish and took it back to wherever you bought it got your money back. Then proceeded to go to the VW garage and buy an ED30, and spend X amount getting it up to stage 3? Hmmmmm ...... ok

You follow on with that I should "Write to top gear for advice", because we all know that Top Gear is the pinacle of automotive excellence and that all information from the 'Factual' progamme is gospel.

Last edited:
Reactions: BOSSS3

SHUT UP YOU C*NT! i think your a fukin liar, anyway it sounds like you have never even driven an S3 judging by your comments, you are indeed a true bellend.:rock:

"big knob" can time out for seven days until he learns some manners....

Reactions: andywaddy

What a total c*ck!!
I suppose your knob is bigger than everyone else's and your also the hardest man in the world who has a variety of black belts in a number of discipline's.... oh and your a millionaire with a big house!!

why oh why. I genuinely cannot beleive there is people in this world tha have the time to type of long paragraphs of bolux! i barealy have enough time to use this site due to work commitments, yet i come on and this lowlife does this. As TOP GEARS "CLARKSON" said.

"you should be pulled out and executed by your own family"

Rnat over. Im sorry to continue it just really angers me...

Sorry OP :icon_thumright:

Unbelievable, what a @@@@.

Yes even my box fresh lump sounds like a tractor. Tappety, and untuneful :sadlike:

And this guy calls himself a REAL DRIVER:applaus:bwahahahaha, but with a name like Big bob it explains it all. The weight distribution in the S3 was probably pretty bad when he was drivin it cause he is such a fat F***.