Woossshhhhh

Its worth noting too that if you do need to switch the switch from AI-Net to MBus you need to power off ( disconnect the cables from ) the Alpine changer before it takes effect....

Are you sure. Mine has lost audio output, and it is booked in to be looked at on Wednesday, and I tried cycling the mode switch, between positions just to make sure. In pos 1 it didn't talk to the head unit, but in 2 it did, all without cycling the power...

Tim

I'm working on it now, but it may take a while as I'm trying to put together a "catch all" guide.

Tim

Hi everyone
I am new to all this mod stuff so i hope you can be patient with me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
i own an A4 1.8 T Sport on a 1997 and i need some advice on which dump valve to buy and do i need any other info on how to fit it meaning any extra tuning or will it just go straight on ?
i want a valve that everyone can hear if you know what i mean /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
thanx for any help, i have many more questions to ask but one thing at a time eh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif
cheers
lee

you bought the wrong car if you want a woosh tish type dump valve noise.

Audi do not use DUMP valves. They used closed loop DIVERTER valves that vent back into the system.

aftermarket vent to atmoshpere type valves (dump valves) can uspet the system, as the ECU "knows" how much air is in the system from the MAF(mass airflow sensor) and sets fueling etc to suit.

besides dump valves sound crap.

Forge or AmD are the most popular Diverter valve choice within Audi tuning circles, but they do not give any woosh. or power, they are just more reliable if moddified, and serviceable, unlike the moulded plastic OEM item.

Thanx Paul for replying, appreciated !
as sad as i am i was really excited about a dump valve ! surely there must be a way but i guess it means a bit more serious tuning to the ECU eh ? what in your opinion could i do then to gain a little more bhp av done the filter and exhaust thing, acceleration is more important to me then top end.what are these boost valve things and ecotek widgets ? any ideas ?
thanx again
lee

Get it chipped if you want more acceleration, but I agree with Paul, you want a Diverter valve, not a dump valve.

As for where to get it chipped, that's the hard part, lots of places /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanx mark, think i will go to AmD and get that valve your on about plus their stage 1. any other tips would be great but thankyou for your time it is appreciated.
cheers. lee /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i agree with the chip option by mark. but what i recomend is instead of paying the 400+ dollars for the chip, pay somewhere closer to 150 bucks (i dont know pound conversion..sorry) for a split second boost controller. the only difference between chip and boost control is that the controller does not mess with fuel/air ratios. also with the controller, you have total control over your boost psi whereas the chip will only give you a set boost pressure. and since youre new to this, fuel/air ratios are not a big deal until u get into heavy mods like full turbo upgrades....good luck and congrats!

[ QUOTE ]
Leezace said:
silly question but what does VAG mean ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

VAG = Volkswagen Audi Group

Cheers
Rich.

[ QUOTE ]
Leezace said:
cheers guys, think i will stick with Pauls idea. AmD seem to be well respected so being green as grass i will leave it in thier capable hands./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif probably the wrong forum but does anyone have an idea if you can get white dails for the older a4's. lockwoods a no-no and nobody from the mod/performance sites are getting back to me.1 last one, i am plannig to fit 18" rims,has anyone had problems with rubbing on the arch, in or out. and what size tyre is best ?....thanx ever so much for all your advice.
cheers lee. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

18" wheels are fine. fit PCD 5x112 ET30-35 with 225/40ZR18 tires.

Rich

hey Leezace, hold on a minute. There is hope for that "whoosh" noise. Get yourself a GFB Hybrid Blow Off Valve. You will get that cool blow off sound, and it won't throw off your mass air flow sensor, it vents half the air back into the intake system, and half into the atmosphere which gives you that noise that we all love, I have one on my 97 1.8T and it's awsome, got it on ebay for 80 bucks.

Thanx for the info JetSpeed, but like PaulS3 and scoTTy there seems to be more users that advise against then for....when i go to AmD i will enqiure about Dump valves but ultimatly i will take their advise. Glad to hear your cars works ok though JetSpeed, and thanx for the input scoTTy.

Cheers Lee but i am waiting for Ed to get back to me from AmD, i sent him a very interesting article about the GFB Stealth FX D/BOV and if he gives the go ahead thats what i will have fitted and tuned by them (AmD) This valve is Tunable so if Ed is confident i may still get my Woossshhhh !!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif
Here is the link if anyone is intrested, just click on blow off Valves in the left index !

http://www.lltek.com

I would like to dismiss the thought of having a dump but i have read so many forums UK, USA JAP you name it i have researched this well and although all you guys are right in what you say i cant find one person who has said quote "i fitted a dump and its F*#ked my car" in fact quite the opposet, those who say have fitted one only rave at how well it performs !!!!!
Who knows eh ....maybe this is one of those unanswerable mysteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Anyway i will go with what Ed decides so i will keep you all upto date soon.
Cheers for reading
lee
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Well Ed has spoken and he isnt convinced /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif
So unless anyone has any concrete proof i guess the dump valve thing is off !!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
O Well, we can but try..
i guess thats the end of this thread so a BIG THANX to all who gave advise and opinion, all input was appreciated.
you can all say i told you so now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
i had to try though,
cheers everyone
lee

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

Not an "I told you so". Forget that is an odd design without any merit, but why would you consider a valve that is 2.5 to 3 times the price of all the others?

[ QUOTE ]
Leezace said:
.....i am waiting for Ed to get back to me from AmD, i sent him a very interesting article about the GFB Stealth FX D/BOV....

[/ QUOTE ]
What article did you send??
Just curious...

My last thoughts.....

For what the DV needs to do, I think the GFB is, at the very least, overkill. All the other DV's accomplish the task for far less money. It doesn't seem as though the GFB is going to do anything superior to what the others will do. The fact that the GFB incorporates an additional valve to vent air to the atmosphere under severe boost conditions is a vague engineering design - with the closed loop system of the Audi it is necessary to keep the air recirculated. Furthermore, there is no reference to how much psi is vented and how much is recirculated - I would assume they don't know.

Here is their words on the subject:
"First, your pressurized (boosted) air must escape both the inlet pipe and the intercooler (even high performance intercoolers), opening the piston and giving a loud "whoosh". Within seconds the pressure is evacuated from the inlet system allowing the Turbo to continue to spin and pump air through the valve. Even though the car is venting to atmosphere, a sufficient volume of air goes to inlet and passes through the air flow metering system, reducing hesitation (the lean Audi second) or backfire."

I don't like the Within seconds and a sufficient volume of air phrases. The first is oddly too long of a time frame, the second is extremely vague. That can be dangerous.

It sounds like it might be a consideration for those systems that are experimental and/or are producing massive boost, but it would have to be an outrageously high range for an experimental/massive boost system to benefit from this unit - and, not knowing what the psi values are for the valves, it would be an experimental gamble. Otherwise, it may very well be a dangerous application.

I thought you might like to know that one of the "kids" on another forum are reselling their used GFB Stealth FX D/BOV's.
Seems as though they don't want them anymore.

I say "kid" because, the forum in question is full of annoying young guys with enormous egos.