WOOHOO! Picked up new S3 this morning!

a3norwich

Not anymore - Back 2 BMW (shh)
Reaction score
Finally got new S3 this morning. Will post some pix tomorrow (weather permitting) and a general impression later...

Meanwhile, I am on the scrounge: is there anybody locally (Norwich, Norfolk, Suffolk way) who has the VAG-COM software? Wondered if they could do me a little favour? Worth a beer or three! :)

Many thanks!

a3norwich said:
Meanwhile, I am on the scrounge: is there anybody locally (Norwich, Norfolk, Suffolk way) who has the VAG-COM software? Wondered if they could do me a little favour?

Wouldn't be asking someone to set the steering weight perhaps? I'm asking Audi to do it to mine before I take possession as the steering on the 8P S3 is way too light for me!

I was under the impression the steering adjustment in VAG-COM didn't work on the latest 2007 models - has this been cured now?

a3norwich said:
Finally got new S3 this morning. Will post some pix tomorrow (weather permitting) and a general impression later...

Meanwhile, I am on the scrounge: is there anybody locally (Norwich, Norfolk, Suffolk way) who has the VAG-COM software? Wondered if they could do me a little favour? Worth a beer or three! :)

Many thanks!

Welcome to the club mate!
Now enjoy the pain of running in - i'm about to cross 1000 miles so should be able to put my foot down soon!

Yea, am taking it gently (d'oh!). Although, some say rag it others don't. My bro (who's a mechanic) said take it easy for a while, so I will go with him! He's gonna change the oil at 1,000m for me too. Good lad!!! Got the filter today. See they are putting Shell Helix Ultra in now. Maybe Audi have fallen out with Castrol...?

As was already said, if it's for steering weight, vag-com can't change it on 2007 and later models... Unless something's different on the S3...?

a3norwich said:
He's gonna change the oil at 1,000m for me too.

Why the hell would you want to do that?

There's such a think as over maintenance

JaminBen said:
As was already said, if it's for steering weight, vag-com can't change it on 2007 and later models... Unless something's different on the S3...?

It's not for the steering!!!

staz1000 said:
Why the hell would you want to do that?

There's such a think as over maintenance

His suggestion really: what he doesn't know about cars isn't worth knowing! I trust his judgement!

a3norwich said:
His suggestion really: what he doesn't know about cars isn't worth knowing! I trust his judgement!

What every car manufacturer in the world doesn't know about cars isn't worth knowing and not a single one of them would recommend it after only 1000 miles.

On older engines where they weren't built to the same tolerences there would be tiny metal particles in the oil from bedding the engine in. I can understand someone wanting to change the oil in that case. Although an engine normally took more than 1000 miles to bed in.

On modern engines this isn't the case. The parts are made to such small tolerences you hardly get any wear, hence driving your new hard normally from new now.

Out of interest Honda state you should never change your oil before 8000 miles. And I would suggest their engines are more likely to wear due to their high redlines.

I'm not a mechanic but if audi say change the oil when the DIS tells me then that's what I'm gonna do.

A3norwich,

If my 8L S3 is anything to go by, and if the 8P S3 is similar, its likely to drink oil for the first 10K miles anyway! You might have to top it up at 1000 miles or even a couple of months.

My 8L S3 drank oil like it was going out of fashion. I'd wait, let the 8P S3 drink most of it, then put in some more.

I too, like staz1000, think Audi have put in so much effort and research for variable servicing, their engineers and scientists must be given some credit. If you prefer more regular changes do the 10K servicing, but 1000 miles is a little extreme.

Of course its your decision though.

AL

staz1000 said:
What every car manufacturer in the world doesn't know about cars isn't worth knowing and not a single one of them would recommend it after only 1000 miles.

On older engines where they weren't built to the same tolerences there would be tiny metal particles in the oil from bedding the engine in. I can understand someone wanting to change the oil in that case. Although an engine normally took more than 1000 miles to bed in.

On modern engines this isn't the case. The parts are made to such small tolerences you hardly get any wear, hence driving your new hard normally from new now.

Out of interest Honda state you should never change your oil before 8000 miles. And I would suggest their engines are more likely to wear due to their high redlines.

I'm not a mechanic but if audi say change the oil when the DIS tells me then that's what I'm gonna do.

Having had 2 E46 M3's, an oil change is required at 1,250 miles (-25%, +10%); failure to do so invalidates the warranty. You can of course change your oil every 1,000 miles, it would do no harm... If you own a Scooby, Evo, I think the intervals are nearer 4,000 anyway.

Given the fact that you can drive a brand new car out of the showroom and could, conceivably, not have it serviced for 20,000 miles or 2 years (if it's a diesel for example) with the same oil, I don't think changing the oil after this initial period will do any harm (only to my wallet).

AL_B said:
A3norwich,

If my 8L S3 is anything to go by, and if the 8P S3 is similar, its likely to drink oil for the first 10K miles anyway! You might have to top it up at 1000 miles or even a couple of months.

My 8L S3 drank oil like it was going out of fashion. I'd wait, let the 8P S3 drink most of it, then put in some more.

I too, like staz1000, think Audi have put in so much effort and research for variable servicing, their engineers and scientists must be given some credit. If you prefer more regular changes do the 10K servicing, but 1000 miles is a little extreme.

Of course its your decision though.

AL

I'm not changing the oil EVERY 1,000 miles, just after the FIRST 1,000 miles, after the initial "running in" period, then the normal schedule!

[My previous 2.0 TFSI Quattro used less than half a litre in 7,800 miles and 10 months]

Well there are always exceptions to the rule. But audis aren't one of them.

Again all I can say is if it was right then audi would tell you to do it themselves. They designed the engine so I'd say they know better than anyone in the entire world.

staz1000 said:
Well there are always exceptions to the rule. But audis aren't one of them.

Again all I can say is if it was right then audi would tell you to do it themselves. They designed the engine so I'd say they know better than anyone in the entire world.

Hmmm, you could be right. Car manufacturers never make mistakes or release a poor design on the general public to test after all. It is just personal opinion...

More personal opinion: if Audi (or BMW, Ford, Vauxhall, et al) returned to running in services (and they used to) it would probably lower confidence in their products and change perception on cost of ownership. I can certainly see the logic behind an early oil change, but again it's personal choice! Even more so on a "highly strung" engine like the 261BHP TFSI...

I will change the oil after the running in... Have done that in all my cars! It's a personal choice...

Pedro

JamS3 said:
My new S3 is still showing max on the dipstick after 2700miles!

What kind of running in did you do? Follow the drivers handbook and treat it nice, or the other method discussed here to boot it for 10-15 miles to bed in the piston rings?

I will change the oil after the running in... Have done that in all my cars! It's a personal choice...

When I visited the Audi factory in Ingolstadt I asked the guide about the oil that was put into new engines. He said it was a slightly different formulation especially designed for running in and the early life of the engines and it can do more harm that good to change it before the first service is due.

My current A3 is my 10th Audi and my 6th A3. All but one have been brand new and I have only ever changed the oil at the first service and have never had any problems at all during the 3-4 years I've owned each one.

h5djr said:
He said it was a slightly different formulation especially designed for running in and the early life of the engines and it can do more harm that good to change it before the first service is due.

Interesting, Dave. I'll have a look in that...

Pedro

stevec said:
What kind of running in did you do? Follow the drivers handbook and treat it nice, or the other method discussed here to boot it for 10-15 miles to bed in the piston rings?

Bit of both really for the first 1500miles but never took it over 5000rpm!