Wonky indicators

AlexStanley

Reaction score
Website
www.alexstanley.co.uk
Driving along the motorway today, indicating in and out of lanes as you're supposed to, the indicators started to play up - very wierd!!!

Basically the on-off/tick-tock was not regular - sometimes it was fast, sometimes it was slow, sometimes the indicator would stay illuminated! Went over a couple of bumps as I was coming off a slip road and they went back to normal.

The car has been parked outside for the last day or so, so it's been rained on but not massively - car has been parked in the rain before without any ill effect so I'm not convinced it's that.

It can't be a dodgy bulb as it was happening for both left and right indications.

What's left? Relay? Earth? Wiring? Something else? :)

I would hazard a guess its the relay/hazard switch at fault if tis affecting both sides. IIRC the A3 has the flasher relay in the switch like the A4 does

yep do a search its been seen loads... it'll be your hazard switch needing replacing as this is where the (relay?) stuff is held for the indicators...

There may be another possibility too...

It may be that either (a) certain MYs are different, (b) I was fiddling with something 'secondary' or (c) it was sheer coincidence and had no real effect at all; but when I had an 8L I suffered some weird indicator behaviour - I'd recently been under the driver's side dash-trim panel (the one around/under the steering column) messing about with wiring for my Road Angel; anyway, I took that trim back off and had a look - there's a big power distribution block under there (which I'd used one of the pegs on to power my RA), and there are also a load of relays on it. I gave them all a good shove and my indicators seemed to behave themselves from that point forward...

Anyway, even taking into account (a), (b) and (c) above, I thought it might be worth a mention...

Regards,

Rob.

Exactly the same thing happened to my car today! I'll try a new relay or switch.

had relay/hazard switch go twice on my old A3, the indicators would flash at random speeds. Common fault..

Thanks for all the responses guys - strangely it's not happened since! Very odd... I'll get a relay ordered anyway just in case it starts happening again..

mine did this, worked properly and then not for ages on and off till it went completely - and it was the relay

Thought I'd post an update for you all - it started playing up again on my way home from work on Friday. Went to the nearest Audi place on Saturday and have ordered a new relay - £19.10 which is a bit of a bargain if you ask me :)

Does anybody know how I get the fascia off so I can replace the relay?

Well quite frankly I've lost all faith in everything - who would have thought that getting a replacement relay could be so complicated??

First off, I went to Bristol Audi. No problem, they can order one in. The price would be £19.10.

Due to work commitments I can only do stuff like this at weekends, so the next weekend I went down and they'd forgotten all about the order! They assured me that it would get ordered and would be ready for the following weekend.

Sure enough, the part was ready the following weekend but the price had doubled to nearly £40! I was gobsmacked. But - normally being a complete pushover in circumstances like these - I stood up for myself and refused to pay the increased cost. Sadly, this meant that I left Bristol Audi without the part.

3 weeks wasted.

So I tried to order from VAGParts. Has anybody used them before? I found the part, and ordered it but their system wouldn't take my card. So I emailed their support address and frankly got such a terrible response from them that I've decided that they don't deserve my money and I'm going to have to try and get the part from somewhere else.

So that's another 2 weeks wasted.

And I still don't have a replacement relay :( Any recommendations on where else I can get my relay?!

why did the price double???

thats why we call them the "stealers" :mad:

Ive used vag parts in the past and have been excellent for price. But they arent good at replying to e-mails so if in a hurry ring them.

Im usually not in a hurry and they can take quite a few days to reply.

Well done standing up for yourself. But if i was you id complain to the manager that you have wasted 5 weeks and 2 journeys and he should just give you the ******* thing. Dont know why it would be £40 considering what it actually is.

But they did want to charge me £500 for a lateral acceleration sensor (lied and said dont sell them seperatly) - robbing ******** managed to get one off a breaker for £35

Ive used vag parts in the past and have been excellent for price. But they arent good at replying to e-mails so if in a hurry ring them.

Im usually not in a hurry and they can take quite a few days to reply.

Well done standing up for yourself. But if i was you id complain to the manager that you have wasted 5 weeks and 2 journeys and he should just give you the ******* thing. Dont know why it would be £40 considering what it actually is.

But they did want to charge me £500 for a lateral acceleration sensor (lied and said dont sell them seperatly) - robbing ******** managed to get one off a breaker for £35

I'm not being funny here but have you tried Ebay. There are many S3's on there which are being broken up and they are insurance right off's. I'd try e-mailing the seller to ask for the part, tell him where to locate it and job done. I recently enquired about the cd changer that should come standard in an S3, got a quick response and was well pleased that the parts were all available!

Worth a try no?

G

I think the price difference is because they got the part wrong in the first place. I have the same problem, and tried to order the part on-line, only to be emails back saying that the part I ordered [at £19] would not fit my S3, but was for an A3.
Ordinarily I would think it was BS, but the web site did not have the correct part, so I don't think they were trying to extort me.

Through a contact at a dealer, I was bale to get the part less 10%, and it cost me £35, so £40 sounds reasonable.

I would say go to another dealer [considering the Bristol one would not budge even though the screwed up and gave you the wrong quote] and order the part and be done with it. At least you can take it back if it does not work, and the last thing you want is a cop seeing you changing lanes at 100 miles an hour without indicating :angrymod: