Woke up this morning to my car unlocked with all windows open. Key not working.

Djl

Reaction score
Woke up this morning and my wife noticed that all my windows were open, as well as the sunroof. Checked the car and it was unlocked. Alarm then starting going off but I couldn’t turn it off, onboard computer said “key not recognised”. The key also no longer flashes when I press a button, and nothing happens.

I checked my CCTV and can see it happened at some point between 10pm and midnight last night while we were both sleeping (windows were closed at 10pm and they were open at midnight, motion was triggered and recorded due to a cat walking across the driveway).

First thought was that the battery in the Kay has gone, and caused a malfunction, but I don’t understand why it would unlock all the doors and open the windows before shutting itself off.

Fortunately it didn’t rain last night and I keep a spare key at a friend’s house but worried it could happen again, or that it was something more sinister.

Any ideas?

edit: it’s a PFL, 2015 plate.

First questions: Do you have 'keyless go' ? Do you have start button or key?

First questions: Do you have 'keyless go' ? Do you have start button or key?

Keyless entry and start button!

I unlock the door by touching the front handle. I only physically touch the key when I want to lock the door (have occasionally used it to close the sunroof when I’ve accidentally left it open)

If you hold the unlock button down I believe all the windows open, just like if you hold the close button all the windows will close, perhaps the button has been stuck down or if it was in your pocket pressed against something might also explain why it's now got no juice, boy down the road from me does it with his boot release all the time number of times his boot has been open in the morning is quite funny

If you hold the unlock button down I believe all the windows open, just like if you hold the close button all the windows will close, perhaps the button has been stuck down or if it was in your pocket pressed against something might also explain why it's now got no juice, boy down the road from me does it with his boot release all the time number of times his boot has been open in the morning is quite funny

Sorry, might not have made it clear in the original post, it happened at least an hour after I fell asleep, and the key was away in its usual hiding spot so it can’t have been an accidental button press!

OK, I ask the questions as maybe you should consider first the sinister side of this.

It is not a pleasant thought but car thieves are pretty sophisticated these days. They can target a car chancing that it might have keyless go, intercept the handshake signal from your key and relay it to another device near the car to open doors, press button and away they go. For this reason many query the usefulness of keyless go, and certainly a start button! Could it be that you were targetted and somehow it went wrong?

There is another method floating around that thieves will bide their time, and rather than risk driving it away in the dead of the night drawing attention to themselves, they will just open the car and plug into the OBD socket and drag out the key fob information to make a blank and use it when the car is parked elsewhere during the daytime. Many car manufacturers say this cannot happen, but as many again are saying nothing. I am not sure if Audi refute this possibility or not.

I suggest that you look to disable keyless operation if you fear anything sinister has happened. Even turn off remote locking (I am not sure this is possible or not though) and rely on the manual key until all is sorted. Even ask a dealer if the remote/keyless info can be changed on the assumption someone does have a key balnk coded.

The phenomenon of car windows going off by themselves is quite common though. I had a top end MB that was terrible at this for a few weeks. MB were very helpful with all sorts of suggestions ranging from overnight maintenance on a cellphone mast through to a neighbours' microwave sending out a surge. It was then solved by replacing the car battery and keyfob battery. A technician remembered from a course that cars that rely totally on electric solenoids to lock/unlock will automatically unlock one door when it senses the battery is losing its 12V. I am not sure if the A3 is totally electric or not, so cannot pass it on as a possibility for you.

Many VW models (this could be applicable to the A3...) had the convenience module installed in the footwell just below a drain. They came water logged and did all sorts of things as a result.

Either way, I think a call to your friendly Audi expert might be in order. Sorry I can't be more definitive.

Reactions: teslaboy
OK, I ask the questions as maybe you should consider first the sinister side of this.

It is not a pleasant thought but car thieves are pretty sophisticated these days. They can target a car chancing that it might have keyless go, intercept the handshake signal from your key and relay it to another device near the car to open doors, press button and away they go. For this reason many query the usefulness of keyless go, and certainly a start button! Could it be that you were targetted and somehow it went wrong?

There is another method floating around that thieves will bide their time, and rather than risk driving it away in the dead of the night drawing attention to themselves, they will just open the car and plug into the OBD socket and drag out the key fob information to make a blank and use it when the car is parked elsewhere during the daytime. Many car manufacturers say this cannot happen, but as many again are saying nothing. I am not sure if Audi refute this possibility or not.

I suggest that you look to disable keyless operation if you fear anything sinister has happened. Even turn off remote locking (I am not sure this is possible or not though) and rely on the manual key until all is sorted. Even ask a dealer if the remote/keyless info can be changed on the assumption someone does have a key balnk coded.

The phenomenon of car windows going off by themselves is quite common though. I had a top end MB that was terrible at this for a few weeks. MB were very helpful with all sorts of suggestions ranging from overnight maintenance on a cellphone mast through to a neighbours' microwave sending out a surge. It was then solved by replacing the car battery and keyfob battery. A technician remembered from a course that cars that rely totally on electric solenoids to lock/unlock will automatically unlock one door when it senses the battery is losing its 12V. I am not sure if the A3 is totally electric or not, so cannot pass it on as a possibility for you.

Many VW models (this could be applicable to the A3...) had the convenience module installed in the footwell just below a drain. They came water logged and did all sorts of things as a result.

My first thought was malice. We had an attempted break in a few weeks ago, It was clearly an attempt to get into the house for the car keys. We caught them in the act and they fled, we’ve now upgraded security etc in case they came back.

Nobody was on my property last night, I have motion sensors that will record CCTV as soon as somebody steps on the drive/garden. I did consider the possibility that they were able to reach the key from the road though without having to step onto my drive. I’m pretty confident nobody has physically been in my car though. Could they have made a blank without access? The other thing that makes me doubt malice was that the key no longer seems to function, would they have also been able do disable my key remotely?

Either way, I think a call to your friendly Audi expert might be in order. Sorry I can't be more definitive.

Wait, friendly experts exist? I made the dreaded call this morning, and not surprisingly, the person on the phone ignored pretty much all of my description and only heard “key doesn’t work”, her reply was that I needed to buy a new battery. She suggested paying for RAC membership in case it happens again.

It sounds that you might live in a gated property which is good. Just keep the gates locked at night! Interesting that you had an attempte earlier. These thieves have gone beyond the opportunistic and a good RS3 is worth coming back for.

I am not sure if it is possible to access key fob info outside of using the OBD port. As for diabling the key, I do not know but as I said earlier, could someone have tried and it all went horribly wrong for them?

Sorry about the dealer response! I used the word epert just in case you were lucky enough to have a helpful dealer. I have heard that some do exist...

I think your best bet now is to contact someone who knows VAG coding - there is one on the forum in North London, DJAlix. His contact details will in the members list I think.

I had this issue recently... doors and windows open in the morning, and key longer recognised. Turned out my wife put my hoodie in the wash, complete with car key.

Swapping the 'battery holder' piece into the spare showed that to be the problem, I presume its got something coded in there - not sure how, it's tiny - Audi tell me I have to order the complete key from Germany :(

Any way, check with the wife she didn't do a lovely thing and wash your clothes and return them to you persil fresh... keys enclosed.

Ouch!!

I'd really like to know how much your new key might be - I ask as the other day I decided to treat my beloved little Skoda truck to remote locking. Bought a simple kit off ebay from a German seller, 30€. On opening it, I saw that the keys supplied were genuine Audi type with the p/n sticker on the back including the HAA key part that I just need to get cut. Now, considering there are four servo actuators, plug'nplay wiring loom, and a control module in the kit, what price does this make the two Audi keys..??

That is a problem with motion sensor based cameras - someone could have been out of range.

I only buy cameras for security that are ALWAYS on and recording.

Ouch!!

I'd really like to know how much your new key might be

So initial enquiry is that the full key needs replacing, they don't offer just the plastic keyholder/transponder bit on it's own. The guy is going to email me an estimate but said it's in the 200-250 region. I might wait a while for that to get a little less bitter to swallow (and see if there's any other options on the internet to get a replacement and code it).

Incredible! Just shows what profit there is in all these things. The question might be - who gets it all. here is the kit I purchased, including two Audi keys!
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Fermeture-V...686004?hash=item3d4d961334:g:V7MAAOSw-V1ciNGw
Do a search on Google. It seems quite an easy job to reprogram a key from the quick look I just had. If it is simple, then there are quite a few key fobs on ebay...you might have to sacrifice the RS3 logo though.

Not sure about the PFL but on my car (FL) through the MMI I can see how many keys are coded to my car. If you have 2, make sure it still says only 2 are coded and this will help solve the issue if someone else did stop and remote copied themselves one

Reactions: Hal Adams
I had this issue recently... doors and windows open in the morning, and key longer recognised. Turned out my wife put my hoodie in the wash, complete with car key.

Swapping the 'battery holder' piece into the spare showed that to be the problem, I presume its got something coded in there - not sure how, it's tiny - Audi tell me I have to order the complete key from Germany :(

Any way, check with the wife she didn't do a lovely thing and wash your clothes and return them to you persil fresh... keys enclosed.

I put my AMG key through a full wash and dry cycle ( by accident) key still worked fine and was beautifully clean as well. Sounds like the Audi keys aren’t as well made.

Sounds like the the explanation of the key being stuck on unlock (faulty / sticky switch) is feasible. That would open everything and would probably flatten the key battery.

I put my AMG key through a full wash and dry cycle ( by accident) key still worked fine and was beautifully clean as well. Sounds like the Audi keys aren’t as well made.

Sounds like the the explanation of the key being stuck on unlock (faulty / sticky switch) is feasible. That would open everything and would probably flatten the key battery.

I think this sounds like the most likely answer. Only question is how did the key get pressed in the first place when it was away out of sight. I think maybe it got moisture inside it or something due to condensation, triggering the sensor that makes it think the unlock button is being held down. As you said this would then drain the battery and open all windows.