Wiring up seats lumbar support

jb111s

Reaction score
I fitted newer S-line seats to my a3 a while back, whilst my original seats just had one connector (presumably for the airbag), the new one has 2 connectors.

I've connected the airbag up but the electrical lumbar doesn't seem to work (presumably as it uses the second connector). I assume it just needs a live and earth to be used to get power for this, but does anybody know exactly what the second connector does ? Does it also mean I have heated seats ? If so is it just worth getting a new lead & ac control unit from ebay ?

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers.

I think your assumption may be right. I don't know myself but heated seats sounds logical.

How much is the unit and cable?

That's what I thought, the original seats just had a manual support but the extra connector has several pins on it which would be for more than the lumbar, so likely to be heated (which is nice).

Looks like another ebay hunt! Although threading the wire through to the seats could be quite difficult.

It shouldn't be too bad if you don't mind taking all the panels off of the lower dash.

You'd need a switched feed too I guess.

10-15amp wire from each seat to fuse 36 on the fusebox which is 10amp fuse used, connect both seats in parallel on this fuse so they share it, you can get the repair wire to add to the connector in the bottom of the car under the seats & solder the join on the repair wire & same other end on fusebox using repair wire, havnt had any issues & thats oem spec wiring aswell.

Post image of connector so can see if its heated aswell, could possibly be tbh, thus requires more wiring to new climate unit, not impossible either, just time, patients & some technical abilities.

Might not need an earth for the lumbar as might have this already connected inline on other internal wiring on the connector/seat, I just added a live feed & worked no problem.

Staz is streamlining himself, soon it'll be one letter, lol

Nice, thanks NHN, I'll take some pics to confirm. Is there any way of getting the connector from audi ? I've got no problem with hardwiring the cable into the fusebox but would rather it went onto a connector that I could pull out rather than having to solder directly onto the seats ?

I was hoping if they were heated then the power would run from the new cable from the heated a/c unit to the seats, so no rewiring.

I need to replace the runners in the drivers side in the summer as it's a ****** to move at the moment so will need them out from time to time.

Nice, thanks NHN, I'll take some pics to confirm. Is there any way of getting the connector from audi ? I've got no problem with hardwiring the cable into the fusebox but would rather it went onto a connector that I could pull out rather than having to solder directly onto the seats ?

I was hoping if they were heated then the power would run from the new cable from the heated a/c unit to the seats, so no rewiring.

I think maybe you misunderstood, you get the proper connector/pins from audi as repair wires that are double ended with pins already on, you cut these down or in half & then solder the longer wire to this to reach the location you need to run to, eg. fusebox, then use another repair wire with the correct pin on end to plug into the fusebox, no soldering into the fusebox itself mate, god no, I like to think I'm professional here, lol, well mostly anyway.

The seat connector thats in the floor has spare locations to add the pin/repair wire to so it plugs in & out with the seat & existing wires, no way do I suggest direct permanent connection, I always use oem style incase want to remove later, even if it take slonger its much better tbh.

You will need to rewire for heated seats anyway mate, they dont share feeds IIRC, cause the rheostat(dials on climate) actually feed from there as if its a switch, but its not that difficult if you can understand the wiring schematics.