Wiring up facelight headlights - I think mine are different?

Sir Chumpalot

Reaction score
I wondered if anyone would be so kind as to shed some light on this please.

I've just installed some facelift lights, they look great and really help to transform the look of the car. However, I'm not sure what wires to match up:

From the car, I have two plugs -

PLUG 1
- Yellow / Black
- Brown / White
- Brown Blue

PLUG 2 (the round one)
- White / Black
- White Green
- Yellow / Black
- Brown
- Grey / Black

The wires coming from the lights are as follows:

- Dark Blue
- Black
- Yellow
- Brown
- Red
- Pink?
- Light Blue

3 of these wires (Brown, Black and Blue) all go to a tiny plug (about 1cm big).

How do I go about wiring these up? I was under the impression that the colours should match but obviously not! Perhaps I've bought cheapy headlights. It makes sense, because I have 8 wires from the car and 7 from the lights (one left over for fogs?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much

Dave

Where are you finding these odd colors? inside the light unit itself? or in the harness that plugs into the back of the light unit?

i think your maybe comparing the audi loom to the valeo loom inside the light units, rather than the old audi loom with the new audi loom?

You'll need to use the 2 browns as 1 connection - earth.

The square 3-pin plugs are for your headlamp levelling motors, which are seperate on pre-facelift models, and integral on projector units.

The little white plug within the projector units are for levelling motors.

Grey black is for your foglamps, which you won't be using anyway, unless you're fitting a facelift bumper with matching foglamps?

Thanks for the replies. I will be using the fogs in the lower part of the bumper yes.

Do I need new looms from Audi to get this working? I certainly don't mind wiring it all up but if I don't know what wires go to which then I'm stuffed. Perhaps I need to take it to Audi?

By the way Siena, the garage should have sent the pump to you by now.

Well what exactly do you have?

To make the job straight forward you ideally need the end of the wiring loom from a facelift A4, which plugs into the connector on the back of the light unit. Then you just match the colors up and solder it onto your existing loom.

If you dont have this then presumably your looking at the wiring harness thats inside the light unit, hence the different colors, but i'm not sure how you intend on connecting them together without the proper plug?

I was going to cut the plugs off of the looms from the car and simply match up the wires.

Alternatively, I could perhaps use the plugs from the old lights somehow?

I take your point about using the end of a facelift loom to plug straight into the light unit, I'd prefer this as it means I don't have to go about chopping up or altering the light unit itself.

Thing is, I still don't know what wires go to which when I get the plug, presumably they'll be the same colour?

Yep, assuming it comes from a real car the colors will just match up.

You can, i think, buy the plugs and connectors from audi, but i couldnt be ***** with all that as you'd have to sit and make them all up yourself etc.

I just got the breaker to chop the loom out of the donor car.

Thanks for your help again aragorn, much appreciated. I'll scour the internet and see what I can dig up, or get myself to a breakers.

You might find that other audis of a similar vintage will have the same connector, and possibly passats too, which might make it easier to find the plug.

I'm not sure though.