Wiring loom fire

Georgeinabz

Reaction score
My son just pulled into our driveway , with flames leaping out of the bonnet , wiring loom fried just below battery box , car a 2013 1.4 122bhp , fsh unmodified 42000 miles , has anybody heard of this before expecting a big fight with Insurance co & Audi tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Damaged area , battery removed for safety but now can’t release handbrake or lock passenger door
aa30ea74bd1c510ea16a555529d4683e.jpg

This your car or sons?

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

My son’s , Wife has the same , phoned Aberdeen Audi explained that there is only 3 reasons. , 3rd party interference,design /installation flaw , or substandard materials, response- “best speak to your insurance co.”

Mines the same year, engine and its coming up to 60k. No engine issues with mine (touch wood) and my only reason to think yours has happened due to interfrerance.

There's other 1.4 tfsi engins around the country and if there was a reoccurring problem it would have been recalled.

Mines the same year, engine and its coming up to 60k. No engine issues with mine (touch wood) and my only reason to think yours has happened due to interfrerance.

There's other 1.4 tfsi engins around the country and if there was a reoccurring problem it would have been recalled.

Don't be sure on the recall Vauxhall kept quiet on the Zafria for years

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

.........and my only reason to think yours has happened due to interfrerance.

@Schizophonic, What do you mean by interference, due you mean something like trapped and damaged wires or something else that caused the fire?

@Georgeinabz your quite right there are many faults/fires involving cars to washing machines that don't always get recalled until its a major problem!
It would be interesting to see if the insurance database has anything on this although not sure they would tell you about it. Just a shame you have got to take it via the insurance company but should be covered for repair as clearly damaged by fire. Hope it gets sorted ok for your son.

However the fires with the Vauxhall product are well documented yet we have seen only one worldwide with the a3, which may be due to faulty wiring.
Before jumping on the product is faulty bandwagon a proper investigation into the cause needs to be conducted...

However the fires with the Vauxhall product are well documented yet we have seen only one worldwide with the a3, which may be due to faulty wiring.
Before jumping on the product is faulty bandwagon a proper investigation into the cause needs to be conducted...

That’s why I phoned Audi first to give them the opportunity to investigate , it could be the case the previous owner had interfered with it , however all manufacturers are primed to admit no liabilities until found out ie VAG emissions, Boeing 737 Max , iPhone batteries

Reactions: traindweller
Just an update , I’m in Aberdeen , the repairer has been off the phone , it’s getting picked up tomorrow and taken to Perth , she said the insurance company should know better as the accessor will not make a definitive decision and recommend it goes to Audi as it is outwith there scope to confirm full damage , could be damage to ecu etc.

Would save a 200 mile round trip for them just to dump it at Aberdeen Audi , but at least the repairer seems sensible.

Ah the power of Social Media , the twit at Audi Uk on the phone yesterday failed to grasp that wiring looms should not combust, post it on Twitter and all of a sudden interest from Audi UK.

All well and good I hope, certainly I'd be looking at some sort of independant motor engineer first and foremost to counter any bias from Audi. Hopefully the insurance company would be able to provide this..

All well and good I hope, certainly I'd be looking at some sort of independant motor engineer first and foremost to counter any bias from Audi. Hopefully the insurance company would be able to provide this..

Thanks , I’ve registered it with DVSA hopefully will keep all on their toes and not sweep it under the carpet , Wife wants a Fire Extinguisher in her A3 , I tried to explain plenty of different makes of cars go on fire for various reasons , had a closer look today and it did appear to originate at where the loom splits , my efforts will be trying get information from Repairer and Audi as this progresses.

Update - repairer off the phone estimated £8K to replace wiring loom , awaiting Insurance decision, WBAC value before fire £6880.

Blimey, that cost escalated itself, £8k?

They didn’t give me a breakdown , god knows the price of a wiring loom , engine out job? , not sure if the are factoring in a new ecu as this was close to the fire

Update - repairer off the phone estimated £8K to replace wiring loom , awaiting Insurance decision, WBAC value before fire £6880.

Anything above 50% of the value of the car will be a write off.

my own A3 didn't go up in flames last week but was very close, haven't driven it since for fear of it happening but so far Audi UK have been good in their communication responding very quick each time
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...i-quarantined-by-audi-uk.407606/#post-3515089

Do us a favour and report it here , they will open up a case , keeps manufacturers on their toes .

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and-faults/report-a-serious-safety-defect

Price agreed with insurance company , £900 more than ‘we buy any car ‘so happy with that , got a response back from DVSA saying they have asked Audi for a response , should be interesting as Audi didn’t appear to bothered and to my knowledge haven’t seen it. Son looking at a A class and A1 tdi , interestingly the Audi totalled the engine at 40k , and has been replaced , apparently cam belt , German engineering still has failures like everybody else